Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

turbo air guides?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Nothing to be concerned about. Just pull the hose off the turbo and look inside and there's a ring. Carefully pry it out. Its that easy.

Here's a link http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/turbo_faq.htm
WithAnd without
thanks for that info ph4tty... I took mine out... my ears might be going bad, it doesnt sound too much louder than it was... but the whistle was a little more distinct... I will leave it out and see if it annoys me later... it sounds cool though! I did notice that when I took the hose off the front the inside of the turbo looked pretty oily and nasty, I guess I might have over oiled the K&N a little too much... guess I need to cut back on that.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
I've recently installed a modified TAG-III. It amounts to the original TAG with a factory included outlet funnel. It just so happens the TAG's outlet ID is a perfect fit to an HX35 hybrid's inlet OD. As it comes from the factory, it has a ring about it's outside diameter so as to allow it to fit well inside the OEM air-tube. I ground that off so as to allow the TAG to recess into the turbo intake housing. This in turn allows the TAG's outlet transition to fit perfectly to the turbo inlet. I did have to remove the OEM silencer ring to accommodate the TAG's transition.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/265866/i/TAG-II_.PDF

As installed, the TAG-III transitions directly to the turbo.

I can see an increase in part throttle boost (resulting in my backing off a bit). I've always run with the silencer ring as I believe it contributes to better airflow into the turbo (contrary to what many think). As such, the TAG-III includes that function.

I can still hear the turbo quite well.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
I've recently installed a modified TAG-III. It amounts to the original TAG with a factory included outlet funnel. It just so happens the TAG's outlet ID is a perfect fit to an HX35 hybrid's inlet OD. As it comes from the factory, it has a ring about it's outside diameter so as to allow it to fit well inside the OEM air-tube. I ground that off so as to allow the TAG to recess into the turbo intake housing. This in turn allows the TAG's outlet transition to fit perfectly to the turbo inlet. I did have to remove the OEM silencer ring to accommodate the TAG's transition.

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/265866/i/TAG-II_.PDF

As installed, the TAG-III transitions directly to the turbo.

I can see an increase in part throttle boost (resulting in my backing off a bit). I've always run with the silencer ring as I believe it contributes to better airflow into the turbo (contrary to what many think). As such, the TAG-III includes that function.

I can still hear the turbo quite well.

Looks really interesting... you noticed better throttle response by putting that in? I kinda wondered if taking the silencer ring out would prevent the air from being directed better into the turbo. Great info though, thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:44 PM

Having done some fluid dynamic studies I would initially think removing the silencer ring would hurt flow . But on second thought with the slots and gaps it probably makes virtually no flow difference.

Compressible fluid flow is very complicated and I would expect that the turbos have been thrashed to death long ago and it was determined that the opening is not really the restriction for a given size turbo. If it were flow into a big box there might be some advantage to a smoother opening, but with the impeller pulling on the air it probably straightens the flow out to very near 100% for the opening size. ie bigger turbo=bigger openings.

As others have said go for the more productive areas first.