Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo?

Ok guys I hate to even use the word Powerstroke on here but I have a question. A few of them are running around my neighborhood and they are modded but I don't know with what. When they first start, they sound normal for about 3 seconds, then the turbo whistles so loud, it sounds like a fighter jet! What mod gets them to sound like that? I want my cummins to do that! They sound cool taking off too. My friend said a AFE Stage 2 Turbo might be the culprit. Any ideas?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had an '04 Powerstroke w/ a 6.0 in it, put on 4" turbo back exhaust, it sounded like a jet after the 3-4 sec start up. Once the turbo spooled, it sounded awesome! The variable turbo is what gave it that "jet" sound. I'm about to straight pipe my Cummins and see what it sounds like.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:19 PM

Variable Turbo? Not sure what that is, but if thats what makes the sound I need to get one!
Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 PM

The couple I know that have one that sounds like that, All they have is straight pipe and A good intake. Not a single one I know has an after market turbo.

Veriable geometry turbo I think is whats ment. (my spellin aint right done derr)
I dont know much about em but if I remember correctly, The impeller wheel moves forward/back as too cover a wider range of power. Almost like having a compound turbo system in a single turbo.
Newer Cummins have VG turbos. I think the 6.7's?
Not quite sure. Do a search on VG turbo's on here. Im pretty sure there are a few guys runnin em on 2nd gens.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why would you want you Cummins to sound like a crappy Powerjoke? Start up a leaf blower, put it on high and throw it in the bed of your truck!
Didn't know AFE made turbo's?
Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 PM

Don't want it to sound like the Powerstroke just like the sound of the aftermarket straight pipe or turbo that is being used. If a straight pipe is all I need, it will be done soon.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by diggerfan99
Don't want it to sound like the Powerstroke just like the sound of the aftermarket straight pipe or turbo that is being used. If a straight pipe is all I need, it will be done soon.
I'll bet you get tired of all the noise.

Trending Topics

Old 05-02-2010, 07:53 AM

I want my cummins to do that! They sound cool taking off too.
IMHO,That is the most awful and ridiculous sound.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
Why would you want you Cummins to sound like a crappy Powerjoke? Start up a leaf blower, put it on high and throw it in the bed of your truck!
Didn't know AFE made turbo's?
Scott, do you do stand up on the weekends? Thats food stuff!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Soot For Brains!

Ok guys I hate to even use the word Powerstroke on here but I have a question. A few of them are running around my neighborhood and they are modded but I don't know with what. When they first start, they sound normal for about 3 seconds, then the turbo whistles so loud, it sounds like a fighter jet! What mod gets them to sound like that? I want my cummins to do that! They sound cool taking off too. My friend said a AFE Stage 2 Turbo might be the culprit. Any ideas?

check out fleece performance on you tube. they have some chargers that you can control the spool up and they sound like what you want. Also the chargers on the 6.7s sound the same but louder then the junk ps6.0. Me personally i miss the old big rig sound.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM

Take the silencer ring out of your turbo
Get a good intake.. AFE stage 2/BHAF/AEM Brute force/ whatever..
And a 4 inch straight pipe.
You will be very happy with the new sound of it all.

Ive had my straight pipe for over a year and dont plan on puttin a muffler in any time soon. But, to each his own.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 PM

4 Inch straight pipe sounds good but I live in a area with neighbors so not completely sure what to do. Is there any muffler or exhaust brand that would give me a really good sound?
Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 PM

If you're talking about the turbo whistle and not the exhaust note, then you can just take out the silencer ring in your compressor section... it takes about 15 minutes (and most of that is getting the plumbing off and then back on). Some people claim it makes more power, but I didn't notice anything... however it DID make a huge difference in the volume of the turbo whistle when it spools up... sounds like an S-3 is flying around under my hood (that's a kind of patrol jet in the navy... they have a distinctive whistling sound like a hoover vacuum on steroids).

This is on my '94 12valve... didn't look to see what you're driving, but I'm guessing Cummins used a similar silencer ring in all of their turbo set ups.

J
Old 02-04-2011, 09:04 PM

i have a 24v and i popped my silencer ring out, and had 4" MBRP installed, you can hear just enough whistle at idle, but not the ridiculous 6L PS type sound. also I found the high idle helps too.
IMO cummins sounds much better especially under heavy acceleration or towing...
Old 02-06-2011, 06:53 PM

This will not hurt the turbo? How exactly is it done?

Quick Reply: Turbo?