Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Is TST worth it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't you have a cracked block to replace?

I feel obligated to respond due to my 'tst disappoints' thread. First of all tst only adds fuel when there is boost so the power delivery is very smooth. The more of a load you put on the motor the harder the tst makes it pull. For example if I'm trolling up a hill in the rain running 10 lbs of boost and for some reason I decide to stomp it, the truck will end up sideways with the quickness Check out post #15 in this old thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=33703

Initially I was dissapointed with the TST cuz I couldn't tell its there in my daily paw-paw style driving routine,... but now I notice that the tst helps spool this big ol turbo and really pins me back into the seat when I get into it, especially on the higher levels. I beleive the outstanding performance of the Smarty is one reason why I was initially dissapointed with the TST- what can I say Smarty is a tough bomb to follow =P

Now the competition edition tst is the one that fuels so hard on the upper levels that it causes a shudder when you let off. The comp tst also adds fuel with less boost so it will add to pre boost smoke.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Ph4tty]Don't you have a cracked block to replace?

QUOTE]
yeah i am going to Reb Browns shop of Browns Diesel here in Riverdale,Ca to pick up a new block. thinkn about ordering a helix 2 cam since i will have it all apart. just got a new set of 03 pistons and rings. everything else in my motor is still good, cam , crankshaft, ect.... but since i am doing a total rebuild, i am trying to find out if it would be better to go with the TST/Smarty stack or the DRAG/Smarty stack . figure since i am doing it all RIGHT this time, mine as well try to find a little mroe power
Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 AM
Banned

very very good ph4tty, i understand it pretty good after reading that post. very informative. now my question after reading that would be melting my engine. as of right now, i could hit 1500,thats as far as my guage is, but it hits it very quick with the box turned to 5x5 with the sticks. how much if any would it be if i was to switch to the TST Comp version? but also in the post you sent me, there was only 15hp difference on the dyno between the TST comp and the DRAG comp. plus i can make the DRAG defuel for my injectors for everyday driving. HONESTLY, in your opinion, would i benefit to going with a TST comp over what i have now?

Last edited by inline6power; 06-06-2006 at 01:49 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 06-06-2006, 07:22 AM

The TST definitely fuels harder on top that the Edge Comp. One gauge I have on it is the fact that I jumped 3-4 psi in boost after changing out boxes. That is also only on level 7 on the standard TST. I have yet to run it past 7. Some of this could be changed with your drag version, I don't know. I know the Smarty removes the 2700 defuel, but does the standard Edge Comp stop top end fueling at 2700?....again, I don't know. The Edge Comp/Smarty combo was very solid, but the TST, on my truck, fuels harder on top. Right now I'm using the Comp in EZ mode for timing, Smarty on even #'s and the TST for fueling. Comp seems to have milder timing, equating to quieter valve train and less smoke. That combo seems to working well for me right now.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good choice to go with Reb
Old 06-06-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know Rip Rook at Source Automotive was testing the TST/Smarty combo at the track this weekend. He has been running a Drag Comp. You might want to give him a call and see what his impressions are. I know he has been running in the 11's with the Drag Comp.

Paul
Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by inline6power
HONESTLY, in your opinion, would i benefit to going with a TST comp over what i have now?
Honestly I think you have bigger fish to fry before upgrading electronics. If you get that straight and still have $1300 to drop on smarty/tst then go for it, but the drag comp upgrade is only $50 from what I recall.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:01 PM
Banned

i agree 100% about bigger fish to fry, i mean i already have basically a new motor, new block and new 03 pistons so i agree i should get my motor back together be for i think about this subject but since i am redoing everything, just wondered if the TST/Smarty is better than a DRAG comp/Smarty Stack. i already have the DRAG version of the comp and just wanted some input on what combo is better.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:23 PM

Would there be a gain?? Yes,...probably,...I can't speak from experience with edge products so the best I could give you is a hypothesis. For that kind of money you could buy mach 6 injectors and see a bigger gain
Old 06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Banned

i have also looked into that but i use this truck as a daily driver and like to have fun with it on the weekends. is mach 6s overkill for an everyday driver?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM
Banned

The nice thing about the TST/smarty stack is that you can run the smarty in timing mode which helps with EGT's and mileage and leave the TST turned off until you need it. With the comp you have to run the smarty in non timing mode (assuming you turn your comp on to play with certain people ) and with the comp turned off EGT's can get high and mileage suffers so you have to turn the comp on 1 or so to help with EGT's and mileage and that adds extra strain to things. That's why I'm going TST/ smarty.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

very good point. ok how come its better to run the smarty with timing compared to the comp on say 1x1 with is low timing. doesnt that do the same thing?
Old 06-06-2006, 10:07 PM

Does the TST defuel like the comp or does your ecm still cause you to defuel at certain rpm's?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Banned

well i have the DRAG version of the comp and it only defuels on levels 1,2,and 3............4 and 5 does not defuel. thats whats so nice about the DRAG comp is with big injectors, i run the comp on 1x1 and i barely have any smoke if any. pretty neat feature. not sure if the TST does this as i have no experience with it.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by inline6power
well i have the DRAG version of the comp and it only defuels on levels 1,2,and 3............4 and 5 does not defuel.
You must have a Limited Edition Comp. The only level that will not defuel should be 5X5...so I thought. I was leaning towards selling my Comp for a TST but I think I'll what untill I see some more people making this move before I determine if it's worth it. In the interim, I think I'll see if I can't get a killer deal on some M6's at IRP.

Quick Reply: Is TST worth it!!!