Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST vs. Comp

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie8301
I think your setup is close to mine, should be well over 400hp

Randy
Especially with the new tranny.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

Considering that I've got a slightly larger injector than a mach 1.5, 470hp would be dang nice. I have a feeling that I'm losing a LOT of power through my tranny though.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned

You aren't the only one with that feeling Tyler
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
Banned

So I was wrong about the smoke. It smokes like a freight train when I want it. This morning was about 20-25* cooler when I first tested it so it was burning better. It's crazy nuts how much smoother the power is with the TST over the comp. I guess since the TST adds fuel progressively and doesn't have any defueling set in from the sublevels it just seems smoother. It's very nice. I'm running with the TST on 4 and the smarty on 5 and it's potent around town.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Blue - Glad you like the TST!

I never got too heavy into the TST vs Edge thing, and it use to be really hard to find anyone that had tried both! Always thought both were excellent.

But the Smarty/TST combo appears to definately be smoother and stronger than the Edge Comp/Smarty (even #'s). I have seen hard test results that this combo is stronger for HO CTD's ..... now data is coming through for the SO's as well.
Gotta link?? I'd sure like to see a truck dyno'd: sticks alone, comp, tst, smarty, smarty/comp, smarty/tst- any or all of the above *cough* BB *cough* TR* (I like to be subtle =P)
Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

If I can find a dyno I'd be more than happy to do it. My sticks alone made 230/450, with comp on 5x5 they did the numbers in my sig. That was without smarty.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Gotta link?? I'd sure like to see a truck dyno'd: sticks alone, comp, tst, smarty, smarty/comp, smarty/tst- any or all of the above [SIZE=1[/SIZE]
No Dyno. Test run by TigerRag. He had Edge Comp ... TST .... Smarty all hooked up at same time on his HO and did a rotation.
Used Max boost at WOT as measure in back to back tests, I believe. Comp/Smarty vs TST/Smarty.
And, I think, Comp as EZ/TST vs Smarty/TST?

I did not keep his PM with the numbers in it. Maybe he will chime in here.

RJ
Old 06-29-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
No Dyno. Test run by TigerRag. He had Edge Comp ... TST .... Smarty all hooked up at same time on his HO and did a rotation.
Used Max boost at WOT as measure in back to back tests, I believe. Comp/Smarty vs TST/Smarty.
And, I think, Comp as EZ/TST vs Smarty/TST?

I did not keep his PM with the numbers in it. Maybe he will chime in here.

RJ
I'm headed to the dyno soon. I have a reason now that I just put in Mach 6's last night......that is another story......WOW!

Biggest difference I can tell you is with the BD 155hp injectors I would hit 52 psi max with the Comp. When I switched to the TST pm3 it would jump up to 55 max. TST clearly fuels harder on top. I will say I was a little dissapointed on the dyno with the BD inj, Smarty on 9, and the TST on 7 I generated 453 hp. Was going to put the Comp back in but there were probably at least 20 or more trucks waiting. Now I've got the Comp back in using it in EZ mode so next time I dyno, I'll just swap the TST fuel pump wire to the Comp fuel pump wire and get a little measured difference. The main reason I want to test this is Timinva's results. Tim is offering honest measured results so I wanted to test several options on my truck. With my HO, 6 spd, .410 truck I wanted to know how it reacts similarly or differently from Tim's SO, Auto, .355. The Smarty has been outstanding for my daily driving and seat of the pants feel, but I'm interested how it measures on the dyno. Hopefully I'll have measured results within the month.

BTW, did I mention WOW, on the Mach 6's? Last night after the install I barely was into the accelerator and I was all over 58 psi. I wouldn't go any harder for fear of my HO head gasket. Mike D was watching and said I was all over 100 mph......I didn't even realize......
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Banned

The more I drive this thing the more I like it. The smoke is so easy to control it's not even funny. There is literally no smoke unless I want it. It's so nice. The comp was smokey. The power around town is so much smoother and easier to control. I love it. Trans has lasted through day two.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:59 AM

Tyler, you are one of the luckiest men alive...you have a basically stock tranny holding about 450 horses HAHA dang buddy will it melt the tires right off it? haha

Dom
Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Ha. I'm not EVEN gonna try a powerbrake. I stomped on it again from a dead stop on 9 today and the egt's pegged the gauge by 70 or 80 and boost was at 50. I keep forgetting to look at fuel pressure but I'm sure my little holley is keeping up. I guess it's time for twins now.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I guess it's time for twins now.
Hehehe..... poor tranny......
Old 06-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Banned

No kidding. My EGT's sit at about 1250-1300* until I hit lockup and then BAM, 1500* and 50psi of boost. I think it's slipping just a little but it's not shuddering at all. Not even when it hits lockup. It's nuts.

My plan of action right now is tranny, studs, and then maybe next summer o-rings and twins. That should put me at close to 500. Shoot, with the twins I can support some massive injectors so maybe I'll go ahead and throw some Mach 6's in there. Ahh, how sweet it is to dream.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 PM

so is the tst/smarty hotter then the comp/smarty?
Old 06-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Banned

By about 200* and 10psi of boost. With the comp on 5x5 and smarty on 9 I could only hit 1250-1300* EGT's at 117mph and 40-42psi of boost. With the TST on 9 and the smarty on 5 I'm hitting 1500* and 50psi at 70-80mph.

Quick Reply: TST vs. Comp