Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST Powermax3

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:TST Powermax3

Rod, Im thinking of stacking instead of selling my EZ and just buying a Comp. I want LOW END snap. this sounds like the best way to go.<br>I have a 02 4x4 4&quot; Banks Exhaust, DD11s.EZ,BD Air. and a suncoast TQ &amp; VB. the questions I have now are.<br>This is an everyday driver, what about longevity of the motor.<br>I also pull my race trailer/ during race season. 9000lbs.<br>does this seem like a good way to go and still looking to get 300K plus out of the truck.<br>And last I need a PDR HX35 or similar.<br> Danny
Old 12-25-2002, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Danny:<br><br>I know you directed your questions to Rod. <br><br>But,....I just wanted to let you know that my son<br>has his 2001 set-up as I listed previously (TST PM3,<br>TTPM, DD Supermental Inj's, Piers HX-40, ATS Stage IV)<br>and he regularly tows our Pace Enclosed Cargo Racing<br>Trailer with no problems at all! He has almost 37,000<br>miles on the truck now and he runs it hard, including<br>when he tows the trailer!! ;D<br><br>Hope this helps some!<br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 12-26-2002, 06:02 AM

Rod,

Thanks for the great summary of the two boxes. It helped clean things up, but now I'm left with a few other questions after reading your comments. First off the truck is a 2002 ETH with a Mega-Cannon and 4 &quot; Bully Dog exhaust already in place. I don't haul or pull anything. I live at around 5000 ft elevation (Denver) and have annual emissions testing. My plans was to build a system for &quot;playing&quot; around town, so I'm thinking I need max low-end grunt. At present I'm not stuck on a certain horsepower number, since we all know once this process starts you never have enough . What I would like is something which can be built upon (since finances will only permit this to come together in stages). Basically I'm wanting something with enough power and getty-up &amp; go to gain a little respect on the street (and maybe even do a mini-Piers burn-out if I happen to get a wild hair ;D), but at the same time keep smoke at an acceptable level so I don't have problems with the emissions ***** (yes I know I may be living in a pipe dream for moderate to big power with little smoke, especially when living at high altitudes) I have a feeling what I'm after is a combo of larger injectors, either the TST PM 3 or Edge Comp and most likely a PDR turbo (HX-40 ?) to keep EGT in check. For injectors I'm thinking a stage 2 or stage 3 (mainly due to smoke and emissions concerns). I've heard many praises from guys running an EZ and DD 2's in an ETH, but my concern is a &quot;timing&quot; box won't allow for future power upgrades should it not be enough. The TST PM 3 or Edge Comp appear to be a better purchasing option, since they offer more power (a plus for Bombitis syndrome ), in cab power adjustability and they don't really cost all that much more. The TST PM3 sounds more like what I want....low end grunt (with the trade-off of probably more smoke due to more aggressive bottom end fueling), but Rod says the Edge Comp is better suited for high elevations. So what gives?? Is a TST PM 3 going to smoke like a freight train at 5000 ft? Advice from the more knowledgable folks who have &quot;been there, done that&quot; would be appreciated.

Sorry for bothering you vets with these newbie questions, but I was hoping with enough advice from you I could get this right the first time and save some $$$ by eliminating most or all of the trail and error approach.

PS: I realize before ANY of this happens (power mods) some further ground-work is in order. GAUGES are next on my list (Doing spot checks with the Brair-Hopper fuel pressure gauge until I get a permanent set-up). Then there's the lift pump and clutch issues to address. At this point in time I'm in NO RUSH to do any power mods. The truck is still pretty new (4700 miles) and I want to put some miles on the clock to make sure everything is in good running condition before I give in to the dark side and become my own warranty station. In the mean time I will continue to gather information and do my homework.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:18 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=danlit link=board=7;threadid=8676;start=30#84847 date=1040873208]<br>Rod, Im thinking of stacking instead of selling my EZ and just buying a Comp. I want LOW END snap. this sounds like the best way to go.<br>And last I need a PDR HX35 or similar.<br>[/quote]<br><br>If you've got the EZ already, then I'd definitely look at a PM3 adjustable. Great bottom end punch, however you'll need to look at at least an HX40 hybrid to keep things cooled down.<br><br>On the longevity side, anytime you add performance enhancements you risk losing longevity, especially if you start driving it like you stole it. You can stick a PM3, DD3s, big turbo, EZ, etc etc etc on a truck without seriously compromising engine integrity if you use sense with your right foot.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:51 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=1tuffram link=board=7;threadid=8676;start=30#84907 date=1040904157]<br>Comp is better suited for high elevations. So what gives?? Is a TST PM 3 going to smoke like a freight train at 5000 ft? Advice from the more knowledgable folks who have &quot;been there, done that&quot; would be appreciated. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Its tough to get ponies without excessive smoke at higher elevations. I think you're definitely stuck with a step II injector, or waiting until the new EDMed units are available. As for the boxes, either the TST or the Edge could be turned off for your emissions testing, although the Edge does have the added advantage of being able to turn fueling aggression down below stock levels. Your bottom end power will suffer in this mode though. The TST box does limit aggression at its lower power levels, although not as much as you can with the Comp.<br><br>Personally, I'd try the TST box and see if it works for you. If the smoke is too great, and you've purchased from a reputable vendor, they should allow you to return the box and pick up a Comp.<br><br>Rod
Old 12-26-2002, 10:18 AM

As has already been posted, I'm running the PM3/DD TTPM combo and think it works wonderfully. I have driven a truck with a drag comp and think my setup has a fair amount more low end than the comp setup alone. The addition of the DD box really brought up the low end of my truck and added the big punch it was missing (even with the PM3 and supermentals). The turbo spools almost instantly on my truck, and the DD box helped cut my top end EGTs about 100 degrees. The main negative of adding the second box is that is really increased the smoke level when I get into the throttle. The PM3/Supermental/PDR HX-40 combo is a VERY clean running combination that has very little WOT smoke and is extremely controllable around town. Of course, you can put out a sizeable black cloud off the line if you stomp the throttle to the floor, but for the most part, I think it's a very clean setup for the power level it will give you. To me, the stacked box combo is more than worth it. I think you'd be very happy with the power &amp; smoke combination of the PM3 and a stage 2 or 3 injector at your altitude 1tuffram.<br><br>As for the power from the boxes, I've never witnessed a direct comparison of the two setups, but I do know that Jetpilot dynoed 452 hp a while back with Supermentals/B1 and a comp box. That was on a dynojet, and my numbers were on a mustang, and they were different days, but my dad dynoed on both dynos and his numbers were pretty consistent on both dynos, so... it's a decently fair comparison to me.<br><br>For the max hp, this is best combo in my opinion. I plan on trying the PM3 comp, or a custom programmed version of it soon now that I have the fuel supply figured out :P Hope this helps!<br><br>John
Old 12-26-2002, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been an intersting thread. Thanks for all your information, Rod.<br><br>The truck in question is an ETH which is a whole different animal than an ETC when talking about fueling boxes. My vote would go to a Comp mainly for smoke control at the lower than stock fueling levels.