Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST Powermax Vs. TST Powermax 3 Comp???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fwiw, all things the same we saw an increase of 31 hp with a Smarty(#9) and and an increase of 25 hp with an EZ on my brothers truck.... The Smarty had a wider power band and really performed better on the sled track as well...

Truck went 494, 525 with Smarty and 519 with the EZ... later found out the bypass solenoid in the VP was toast and swapped in an II HRVP44... haven't had a chance to try SW#3 on his truck yet though but it has dynoed 613 with the new pump and some other tweaks.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
If not power braking... higher Smarty is stronger, IMO.
Thats been my experience too. No dyno numbers to back up my theory though

Originally Posted by Mike D
Smarty #3 also shows a gain on the dyno. I went from 460 hp to 507, only change was running #3.
Well the proof is in the pudding, but I'm still not sold =P At this point I'm blaming it on the auto I want a sw11 for my 6 speed
Old 03-16-2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowJ
If not power braking... higher Smarty is stronger, IMO.

I think it is a 6 speed thing. My truck likes the higher #'s. Probably does have a lot to do with the power braking being more difficult in a 6 spd. Oh, but on the dyno, I only showed a 3-4 hp gain going up to 8 from 4.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ph4tty

Well the proof is in the pudding, but I'm still not sold =P At this point I'm blaming it on the auto I want a sw11 for my 6 speed
My trap speeds increased as well.. :?P Track dyno, increased trap speeds=more HP.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 AM

I have a question about the TST vs the TST COMP. I've been thinking about getting rid of my edge comp and getting a TST PM3 or a TST COMP. I know that the TST COMP is too much for an HO pump, but I would change the pump out to an SO pump eventually. I also want to upgrade to twins so thats why im concidering a TST COMP. My question is how does the comp act, can you use it to tow with on the lower settings when using the remote? I do some heaving towing but I also like to play around sometimes, so would I be better off with the with the TST PM3 or could I make the COMP work?
Old 03-16-2007, 10:30 AM

No problems for you, that I can see, on lower settings...say #4 and below on the TST Comp (any setting on the standard TST. BUT, you'd be giving up the timing of the Edge comp. I would not run either TST without my Smarty or an EZ...for the added timing.

RJ
Old 03-16-2007, 01:53 PM

I plan on getting a smarty for the timing, I forgot to mention that. Would you recommend getting the smarty before getting the TST?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Chapter President

That's a personal preference. I run just the Smarty or the EZ on the street and save the TST for the dyno or drag strip.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:34 AM

Do any of you guys have an issue running #9 and the TST? I love my Catcher but when I run it with the TST past #4 it gets outta control, its very very very touchy, now when I run the Van Aaken its a ton more driveable on the higher levels but doesnt seem to have the punch it did with the Catcher, I just got my box back from TST so we will see if its any better now, on the last trip to the dyno my buddy did 415 with a TST Comp stg 5 Jammers Smarty on 7 and a stg 3 Garrett, when we pulled the Smarty and installed the Van Aaken he went to 465, he never did dyno on the lower #s, I can honestly say that the Catcher and TST is awesome, awesome enough to have taken out my flexplate and input shaft now got some billet goodies so im all set.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 1qckdodge
Do any of you guys have an issue running #9 and the TST? I love my Catcher but when I run it with the TST past #4 it gets outta control, its very very very touchy, now when I run the Van Aaken its a ton more driveable on the higher levels but doesnt seem to have the punch it did with the Catcher, I just got my box back from TST so we will see if its any better now, on the last trip to the dyno my buddy did 415 with a TST Comp stg 5 Jammers Smarty on 7 and a stg 3 Garrett, when we pulled the Smarty and installed the Van Aaken he went to 465, he never did dyno on the lower #s, I can honestly say that the Catcher and TST is awesome, awesome enough to have taken out my flexplate and input shaft now got some billet goodies so im all set.
Back the Smarty down to #3 and you'd probably see a bigger number.... Mike D has the track times and dyno proof on this one.