Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST Powermax 3 Or TST Powermax 3 Comp???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking TST Powermax 3 Or TST Powermax 3 Comp???

The twins are coming for spring but I'm wondering if should order the regular PM3 or buy the PM3 Comp???? I have a HRVP so I'm able to supply the extra fuel needed by the Comp version. Is the PM3 Comp as smooth as the regular PM3 when you drive like normal and at highway cruising speeds??? I just don't want to buy the wrong product and have it shipped all the way to Canada to find out I should have ordered the standard PM3....
Old 11-17-2006, 03:31 PM
Banned

Dunno. My PM3 comp won't be here until monday. I'll let ya know then.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:55 PM

tell you the truth i got the most gain from my Smarty....
Old 11-17-2006, 04:47 PM

ive got the comp but I really dont know what its like yet cause ive been havin probs since day 1. I stil dont know whats wrong with mine...
Old 11-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered

ive never ran just the pm3, but i can voutch for the comp version! its one hot box!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:30 PM

Do you mean "hot" as in EGT's or just an awesome fueling box????
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Well if you're gonna order a tst- might as well make it a comp. Are you going to run the edge comp too??
Old 11-17-2006, 05:35 PM

i just swapped my edge comp for the tst comp version and it fuels much harder, comes on smoother (other than the shudder in levels 8 & 9 ), and withe the timing from the smarty, my egts seem to be considerably lower
Old 11-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Do you mean "hot" as in EGT's or just an awesome fueling box????
both!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:56 PM

No, I'm not going to use my Edge Comp as it is for sale, in the box, brand new(classifieds). I noticed that since I've only been running the smarty on #9, the smarty's timing is unreal(No bog)... With the Edge Comp, the truck would bog hard out of the hole!!! The Edge Comp's timing is nothing compared to the Smarty's!! I can't wait to see the Smarty's timing and the TST's fueling combo. By the sounds of it, it is a wicked combo......
Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 PM

Oh yeah, what is this shudder everyone is talking about? I take it, you guy's are talking about an auto tranny?? Will my Southbend Con. FE hold, I hope!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM

I am running the TST PM3 Comp version. I have not run the regular version - BUT the shudder when I let off of the go-pedal on mine is so wicked that I don't like to run it above level 5 for regular driving. Even just cruising (level 5) at highway speeds I can sometimes feel that it isn't sure if it should be adding fuel or not. I wish that I had tried mine as it's regular version, but I know myself and I would've just had to have the comp version anyhow. More is always better, right? In my case, the shudder is magnified when stacking the Smarty with the TST... But HOLY COWS it's great fun [as long as you don't have to let off]!

I believe that the shudder has to do with fueling, not the type of transmission.

Augusta
Old 11-17-2006, 08:23 PM

Hmmmmmm!!!!!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Muted User

I converted my TST PM3 to a comp and have regretted it. I have posted this before. I like how it fuels earlier and quicker prior to boost, but for fueling early, just get a smarty. On my TST now, setting 4 or 5 is now what setting 9 used to be like, and there is no difference between settings 5 through 9 now. I have been told that this is since I have a regular HO pump, and if I upgraded to a Hot rod vp 44 I would continue to see performance gains up to setting 9. I would tend to agree with that assessment, since I suspect I am just maxing out my HO pump on setting 5 or so, and that’s why there is no additional increase in settings above that.
The higher settings, while not adding any additional power add great inconvenience when driving, however. The shuddering, bucking and general misbehavior of the truck is not at all pleasant. I cant blame anyone at TST about this, since they made it perfectly clear this upgrade is not recommended for a street driven truck anyway.

If I had to do it again, I would not have upgraded. But I may change my story afer I get a HR VP44, and that comp version fuels all the way to the top......

Kp
Old 11-17-2006, 09:12 PM

Check out this link. http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...&ID=13#24Valve Look under the 24 valve section. Only 80hp gain with the PM3 comp on the HO trucks. This kept me from buying one because I am not changing to a HRVP.

Quick Reply: TST Powermax 3 Or TST Powermax 3 Comp???