Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST PowerMax 3 Competition

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 07:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:TST PowerMax 3 Competition

I've noticed that on my PM3 Comp. I have stock injectors, but have been having a lot of ;D running around on 9. Took a GMC gasser this morning, in the rain. ;D<br>I have noticed the shudder in specific intances when I let out of it around 40-60 MPH when I haven't run it out good, and the turbo is at high boost (15 lbs or higher). When I have tried to replicate it I have had difficulty. Usually this was due to traffic I was coming up on pretty quick.<br>I thought it was the tranny trying to decide what gear to be and and whether to lock up or not after letting out of the accelerator. I have been a little worried as I wasn't sure what it was.<br>I do notice if I let out of it a little slower I get no shudder, but that's not always possible since I am on someone else's bumper by the time I let out of it. : Yeah, perhaps a little more following distance discretion is in order. <br><br>Chris
Old 05-23-2003, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=Push Rod link=board=7;threadid=15057;start=0#141480 date=1053726311]<br>[quote author=Gary - KJ6Q link=board=7;threadid=15057;start=0#141434 date=1053718635]<br>that the same effect was noted just prior to the VP-44 taking a dive! <br>[/quote]<br><br> An ETH equipped truck will not experience the shudder on the higher levels.<br><br>Rod<br>[/quote]<br><br>Oh really? I've had the PM comp for a year and a half, and it always sends a shudder through the drivetrane on any level beyond 7. After installing my traction bars the shudder was reduced, but is still there. I am pretty sure I have an ETH. :<br><br>I have a manual trans, therefore whilst shifting (and depressing the clutch) during racing, the shudder is unnoticed, however, at the end of the run if I don't depress the clutch the same time I let off the throttle, the shudder speaks up. The PM Comp has been on for 50,000+ miles, the shudder as a problem, never crosses my mind.<br><br>Later, Rob
Old 05-23-2003, 10:45 PM

[quote author=Rob Thomas link=board=7;threadid=15057;start=15#141533 date=1053737502]<br>The PM Comp has been on for 50,000+ miles, the shudder as a problem, never crosses my mind.<br>[/quote]<br><br>That kind of experience sure makes me feel better. I LIKE level 9. ;D<br><br>Chris
Old 05-23-2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Push Rod otherwise level 5 (which is still non-defueling, and equivalent to a DRAG Comp)
<br><br>I have spoken personally with Mark Chapple about fueling levels of the fueling units he produces. He informed me that his box does not fuel any more than the Edge Comp. This conversation took place when I was looking for more HP last winter. I consider Mark a first class act for be straight forward with me about the capabilities of his boxes. According to Mark all of the manufactors are doing the same thing to the same levels.<br><br>Maybe I misread what you are saying Rod but it looks like you are saying that level 5 of the TST Competition box is equivelent to a Edge Drag Comp and that levels 6-9 are higher fueling..... If this is what you intended maybe you should check out your info source.<br><br>I am not putting down TST as I feel they make excellent products. I just want everyone to have good accurate information with which to base decisions on.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:27 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Jetpilot link=board=7;threadid=15057;start=15#141600 date=1053748286]<br>Maybe I misread what you are saying Rod but it looks like you are saying that level 5 of the TST Competition box is equivelent to a Edge Drag Comp and that levels 6-9 are higher fueling..... If this is what you intended maybe you should check out your info source.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Actually, my source of information is the same as yours, and then cross-referenced with what Edge has told me their boxes fuel at. Keep in mind that TST's modules underwent a programming change in October, and as such, any information gleaned from before this time is invalid.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-23-2003, 11:33 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Rob Thomas link=board=7;threadid=15057;start=15#141533 date=1053737502]<br>Oh really? I've had the PM comp for a year and a half, and it always sends a shudder through the drivetrane on any level beyond 7. After installing my traction bars the shudder was reduced, but is still there. I am pretty sure I have an ETH. :<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thats interesting Rob. We've installed 10 or so TST Comps in the last 3 months on ETH trucks, and the customers haven't experienced the shudder at all. TST tells me (unverified by us on a dyno, although our 01 ETH doesn't do much) that the Competition won't give an ETH any more HP on 7 - 9, just simply bring the fuel on harder. Its possible that the October updates solved the shudder on the ETH trucks.<br><br>But you do bring up an important point. Each individual truck can respond to a fueling module in a unique way, and generalizations can be a dangerous thing.<br><br>Rod
Old 05-23-2003, 11:34 PM

Rod,<br><br>Maybe I got info before the programming change. It was sometime in October or November that Mark and I talked about different setups. I do know that Banshee is doing well with his setup and according to his post that somehow he is fueling the engine well above redline. If this is in fact accurate and he is producing HP at these rpm levels the TST will be a hot ticket! Hopefully Johnner will be able to provide some dyno data soon so we can see the HP produced above redline.<br><br>The summer should allow for some dyno testing of the different boxes..... Hopefully I can get my hands on a test truck and a TST box to see what is actaully happening.<br><br>Doug
Old 05-24-2003, 11:44 PM

OK, so what's the difference between the ETH and ETC VP44s? Is the fuel solenoid different, or are there different sized lines/something else in there?<br><br>I was playing with mine today and, dontcha know, now that I know about the problem I notice if all the time on level 6 or better. I see what you were talking about Johnner.<br><br>Chris
Old 05-25-2003, 01:35 AM

Hey guys... Sorry I've been away, but I went racin' today ;D<br><br>Sooo... to catch up:<br><br>Kurt,<br><br>about the picture, Keith Livingstone (RamminOn) took a picture of my pipe for me at a get together about a month ago and he said he would email it to me... he never did [undecided]. I'll send him a PM to see if he still has that picture. If not, I have another pipe (I made 2) that I can get a picture of. Basically I took a aeroquip bulkhead fitting and welded a length of aluminum 1/2 ID pipe to the bottom side. The length from the nut on the bulkhead fitting to the bottom of the pipe is 14&quot;. With my pipe I can get down to 1/8th tank before I have a problem of sucking air with the pump under really hard braking. Normal driving will let it go somewhat farther, but I always try to keep the tank above 1/4 anyway to try to keep the fuel cool. I'll try to find the picture though and post it up. I have other pictures of where I mounted my pump and a few tips if you're interested.<br><br>Doug,<br><br>I'm not going to claim the PM3 comp is hotter than a Edge Comp, but in my opinion it is. I've driven a couple of trucks similarly equipped to mine with comp boxes, and they always felt similar to my old combo of the EZ/PM3 stack, but not as hot as this setup. Again, just my personal opinion. Also, the stock tachs may not be the most accurate thing in the world, but I'll be happy to show you in Muncie that I can twist 'er to almost 3700... I did it a couple of times today while messing around on the road. I'd be happy to be the guinea pig for a comparo of boxes if people are willing to supply the boxes and dyno time. I plan on dynoing again at Muncie with the new setup, so we'll see how the curve looks there.<br><br>Chris,<br><br>The way I understand the difference between the two pumps is that the ETC pump puts out slightly less pressure but is capable of more volume than the ETH pump. It's for this reason that injectors commonly show a greater HP gain on ETH trucks, but fueling boxes typically show much greater gains on ETC trucks.<br><br>John
Old 05-25-2003, 12:02 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have made literally hundreds of dyno runs with the TST PM3 with the Comp program. I will attach three sets of dyno runs from 3 different times and conditions. Ranging from 40 degrees to 98 degrees. All of the types of injectors are different. The turbo is always the same. A standard housing B-1. The truck is a 99 ETC, of course.<br><br>You can see the runs all have a level 3, a level 6, and a level 9 run. The difference in the level 6 and 9 is nill with the current set-up on the truck. I know more power can be made on the higher levels but we dont have enough air to burn more fuel after level 6.<br><br>I can safely say I know how the PM3 will react to the different types and styles of injectors. The PM3 IMO is a very high quality and well thought out design. <br><br>Don~<br>
Old 05-25-2003, 12:07 PM
DTR Advertiser

second set
Old 05-25-2003, 12:08 PM
DTR Advertiser

3rd
Old 05-25-2003, 12:10 PM

Hi don can you tell me what injectors were used on these runs &amp; were you running in overdrive with the converter locked?Also what kind of fuel pump are you running?thanks for the info..ps i love my new Don M edm injectors..kurt
Old 05-25-2003, 12:15 PM
DTR Advertiser

By not just looking at the top HP number you can see in the lower rpm band the Level 9 does make slightly more power. Very evident in the dyno11 runs in the first picture. The TQ is not contained in the runs but I can tell you the TQ is higher as well. The top HP number is not better because the air contingent is just too low for the injected quantity of fuel.<br><br>Don~<br>

Quick Reply: TST PowerMax 3 Competition