Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TST Gauges/Pod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TST Gauges/Pod?

Has anybody else got there gauges from TST? I have been very happy with everything I have gotten from them before, all the way back to 1999 when I had my first CTD. I am waiting until Monday to see what Mark is going to have to say to my e-mail before I go and bash them. I want to be fair and give them a chance to make this right. In a nutshell I got a 2 gauge full pillar pod, a boost gauge, and a pyrometer. The boost gauge didn't have the tubing in the box with it ???. The pyrometer doesn't fit in the pod at all . While trying to englarge the hole to fit the pyro, the lip on the pod that holds the gauge in broke off &gt;. Now the gauge falls right through making the pod a $65 piece of trash . To top it off (I know autometer makes it so I cannot blame TST) the Pillar Pod is not a replacement for the stock panel but instead it is a poorly fitting cover for the stock panel. I hope they make this right although it has already left a really bad taste in my mouth, if I buy gauges and a pod from the same place at the same time I expect the gauges to fit the pod without having to grind away at the pod. Sorry, I just had to vent and warn others that they may run into the same problem.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 12-21-2002, 09:40 PM

Re:TST Gauges/Pod?

All the A-Pillar pods fit over the stock unit. What gauges did you buy? I have Autometers in the autometer pod and it fits perfect. we sell them @ our Tire store.<br> Danny
Old 12-21-2002, 09:55 PM

They are Priscol gauges and an Autometer pillar. I was going to get the Autometer gauges but I figured I'd get the whole 9 yards from the same place so that I wouldn't have this problem. It would have been cheaper to go the other route too. All I can say is I hope they make this right but I really think I may just go with Autometer gauges from Summit and be done with it. My only real problems right now are 1. I have no place to mount my gauges and 2. I have a broken pod which I doubt they will take back since it broke while I was &quot;hacking&quot; on it to make their stupid gauges fit. I'll just have to wait and see what they are going to do. I know if they send me another Autometer pod it is only going to have the same problem with the Priscol pyro not fitting.
Old 12-21-2002, 10:19 PM

I have installed many sets of DiPricol gauges, some from TST, and in the directions (if they still come with directions) it says you may need to file the pod for them to fit snugly. The pods are a machine made, and vary slightly in size. I had to file most all pods I've installed. When you say , &quot; I hope they make this right&quot;, I don't follow you? BTW, my pod from TST wasn't an autometer, do they now offer 2 different brands?

Later,Rob

Here, I found the instructions, line 6...

Old 12-21-2002, 11:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem with the pillar. Sometimes these things happen no matter how hard you try not too.<br><br> I am curious if you spoke to them about the problem before you started hacking away at the pod?. If it was the wrong one they could have exchanged it, but if you just went ahead and started cutting it up before contacting them, you may have bought the pod. <br><br> If they choose to warranty it now would be the discretion of the dealer, but possibly at the very least you might consider your actions as being 50% of the problem and perhaps offer to split the difference with them.<br><br> Just another point of view to consider since you claim you have always been happy in the past, it would be sad to break relations over something as small as this.<br><br> Either way, Best of luck!
Old 12-22-2002, 10:42 AM

SF and Rob, when I stated I began &quot;hacking&quot; I should have been more specific , I was grinding them. BTW I still feel that if you sell gauges and a pillar mount the gauges should fit the mount, no? I know what line six says but I cannot justify spending $65 on a piece that I need to lay the dremel into before installing it and when it breaks while grinding I may end up eating the cost. I also don't expect them to warranty the pod since I was filing it when it broke and I will not break off my relations with them over this but look at it this way. I am a Mitsubishi master tech at a dealer. You pay alot of money for a tune up, before I put in the spark plugs I call you up and tell you that you'll have to gap them yourself. Sufficed to say you'd think I was outta my mind. I think this is along the same lines. I don't expect them to just send me a knew pod but I just wanted to let others know that you shouldn't expect this package to fit smoothly. But all of this is premature, I am not going to knock them since I have been so happy with them in the past the story was just FYI.<br><br>John<br><br><br>PS - Maybe they should sell gauges that fit the pod, danlit has a set of autometers in his truck and they dropped right into the autometer pod.<br><br><br>
Old 12-22-2002, 12:57 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=atc250r link=board=7;threadid=8637;start=0#83499 date=1040575353]<br>PS - Maybe they should sell gauges that fit the pod, danlit has a set of autometers in his truck and they dropped right into the autometer pod.<br>[/quote]<br><br>But then this would mean that each gauge manufacturer would have to build their own pods or else we'd only have Autometer as a gauge choice. Neither of which would be acceptable. If each manufacturer built their own pods, the cost would rise, probably by as much as $20 or $30 per pod (the molding process is expensive).<br><br>Keep in mind that the manufacturing process that goes into making these pods is not an exact science. In effect, you're dealing with a molten plastic whose rate of shrink can be influenced by many outside elements including ambient air temp and variations in the plastic material itself. The pods, whether they be Autometer, ProPods, or other will have variations in them. I received a run of 30 Autometer pods, all of which had 1 7/8&quot; holes in them. Even Autometer gauges wouldn't fit. Those particular pods should have failed quality assurance in my mind, however the modification required to make them fit was also fairly trivial. A couple parings with an exacto knife and away we went. I'd rather have the holes too small, than too big <br><br>So, I understand your frustrations, believe me, I do. My temper is near epic around this place when things don't work as advertised or as I feel they should. But we also need to keep in mind that we're doing custom installs, not OEM replacement. Theres bound to be a couple snags every now and again ;D<br><br>Rod

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2002, 02:59 PM

Well I'd like to say that any one can make I mistake but it takes a real man to admit he was wrong ;D. I was wrong about the boost gauge tubing not being included. Maybe I over reacted a bit but I just get annoyed when I feel I have been mislead. I ended up doing the install anyway. I glued the piece back on to the pod, weaseled the pyro into it and mounted the thing up. It'll do for now, I just couldn't run the engine with no gauges on it any longer. Maybe down the road I'll go up to a 3 gauge pod and put a coolant temp or an oil pressure gauge in there.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 12-22-2002, 05:21 PM

Hi Guys!<br><br>I have also had a lot of problems with gauge mounts. The Autometer a-pillar &quot;covers&quot; are costly for what they are. They should be made as direct replacements. I even tried the steering column pod from Autometer with an Autometer gauge in it. And guess what happened! The steering wheel would hit the gauge while turning. Quality design, not! After all that I decided to make my own and I am very happy with it, at last. I also switched to Isspro gauges as Autometer Z-Series were almost invisible at night(poor lighting). I have included a picture of my new setup.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Very nice set-up DomVic.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:50 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

Dang, thats a nice rigging. Did you block the heater ducts, or remove them?<br><br>Rod
Old 12-22-2002, 06:58 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

atc, glad you got it together at least for now. BTW I didn't intend to say you were mistaken in what you did, only trying to point out an alternative point of view.<br><br> Too easy to get tunnel vision about something when you get angry and sometimes looking at something from a different angle can make all the difference in the world.<br><br> Looks like you got a great outlook on it anyway and that is what matters. We want to enjoy what we have and not feel bad everytime we look at something <br><br> Glad you got them going!
Old 12-22-2002, 08:20 PM

[quote author=Push Rod link=board=7;threadid=8637;start=0#83622 date=1040601044]<br>Dang, thats a nice rigging. Did you block the heater ducts, or remove them?<br><br>Rod<br>[/quote]<br><br>I detached the vent assembly from the bezel. It can be glued back in if needed. Behind the vents is a short duct (about 8&quot; long) going to a 4-way split. This duct is hard to remove because it's attached to the metal dash sub-frame. Once you get it out you have to plug the opening (I used some foam and duct tape). There is lots of room to work with although some trimming is required behind the gauges for clearance. All this can be put to stock condition if needed fairly easily. Don't be shy and e-mail me with any questions.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:36 PM

WOW! That is impressive!! I wish I'd saw that before I decided to use the pillar!!<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 12-22-2002, 08:48 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I am waiting until Monday to see what Mark is going to have to say to my e-mail before I go and bash them. I want to be fair and give them a chance to make this right. <br><br>I read your post at the start of this thread and took the part above and read it a few times...seems like a contradiction to what you are really doing. Especially since you have had good dealings since way back in 99.<br><br>Mark will make things right. He does do good business. Too bad some oversights and glitches got you upset. <br><br>