Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tst dissapoints =(

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tst dissapoints =(

Well I installed a Tst pm3. Egt's are up 100-150, but most of the time I can't tell the box is on. I called Tst and asked their opinion and I was told that my injectors are too big to see a big gain from a tst =\ They said that if the injectors are using enough fuel to drop the pressure coming from the vp44 then changing the pulse width isn't going to do much to add power They also recommended against the comp upgrade for my application.

The 'smarty effect' might be amplified by the box and top end might be a bit stronger, but I'm not seeing a big difference. Ya'll think I should just return the box?

I'd apprciate any comments from people running big sticks and a tst.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:40 AM

Are the lights on the TST indicating that it is properly working as outlined on the install instructions? It is really easy for even a posi-tap to not pierce the wire insulation and it be hooked up improperly. The led lights will tell you though.

I'd be surprised if it is hooked up wrong and you are not seeing a big difference. Only factor is I believe, if memory serves, that you have a Hot Rod VP. No clue on how that factors in.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 AM

I thought Rowland was running a TST with M4's and Smarty as well (with his auto/stock VP). He should be chiming in soon, but I thought he could tell a difference. I don't remember if he dyno'ed on different levels at the 4/1/06 dyno day or not.

~Rob
Old 05-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I hooked up my TST, I had the same problem that TigerRag mentioned, the posi-tap side stepped the insulation on the wire... Once I made sure the wire was tapped it was lights out on anything behind me.. I can hit over 1500 degrees with the TST on kill. On the dyno I losted power on the higher settings which jives with what TST told you...
Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 AM

All the lights on the box are coming on and the increase in egt's tell me that the box is working. I turned the smarty down and the box up to try to feels the difference and there's still not much of a difference. I'm going to put the smarty back on 9 and do some more testing. I'm guessing that with the fuel the hrvp adds the tst can't add much more. Dunno. Maybe I should return the tst and save for a helix 2.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't give up, yet! Your TST is not working right!
With my Smarty on any setting...and my Mach 4's, there is lots of room for more fuel from the TST!
Your HO may show some differences on a dyno due to fuel limitations....but your SOP meter will notice major increase, IMO.

When it's right...you will DEFINATELY know it's on!! Check your install and check what MikeD said...he had exact same problem at first!

Maybe the HRVP makes the difference, but does not sound right to me. (Tiger noticed a big difference...having 155 hp injectors on his HO).

RJ
Old 05-15-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I echo that. DONT GIVE UP! You will be in the 500's when you get the tst figured out.

It being done on Ho's for sure
Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
But sadly not by me
Old 05-15-2006, 12:20 PM

I concur, something is not right. I don't see how you wouldn't know when the TST hits. It fuels HARD on the top end especially. I'd take every connection apart and make sure wires were properly tapped. Mike D as mentioned, had the same issue putting his in. Not that returning it and saving for the Helix 2 is a bad idea. That is something I want to do down the road.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:54 PM

You could always get one of those pump covers from bluechip or bd,they ensure a solid connection
Old 05-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kelownadiesel
You could always get one of those pump covers from bluechip or bd,they ensure a solid connection

Ph4tty, I know we dont have the same seup, but w/o the TST my truck seems like a pooch. Hope you get it figured out, I'd like to add a set of Mach 4's soon.

Randy
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 PM

Where's the beef? Right here: So why didn't TST tell me what you guys are telling me?

I'll recheck on the connections- hopefully tommorrow. It is undoubtedly working- more boost and higher egts- just not what I had expected =\ This goes back to one of the first lessons I learned in life- lower your expectations and you'll never be dissapointed
Old 05-16-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Something isn't right. Check the pump connection or better yet get a pump plate cover from blue chip. Clean the map sensor connections with elec. parts cleaner and use some dyelectic grease. Check the 12V power supply. The one they tell you to use in the instructions isn't the right one for your pickups. It's to small and doesn't give a good connection. I have much bigger injectors and I can tell when the tst is on and when its off.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Where's the beef? Right here: So why didn't TST tell me what you guys are telling me?

I'll recheck on the connections- hopefully tommorrow. It is undoubtedly working- more boost and higher egts- just not what I had expected =\ This goes back to one of the first lessons I learned in life- lower your expectations and you'll never be dissapointed
I really don't think your pump is tapped right either. The TST box should add something over stock or the smarty without the wire tapped, but the truck will COME ALIVE if the wire is tapped right. I used both a scotchlock and a bluechip cover. I would definately pay the money for the blue chip cover.

brandon.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:48 AM

Something isn't right.... As mentioned check all of the connections and ensure they are all good. You should see almost a 100 RWHP gain from the TST with all of your mods. We dynoed a truck with a SPS66 (slightly larger than your 64 but not that much) Drag Comp, and Mach 4's and made over 600 RWHP!

Edit: The above mentioned truck was also running a HRVP.

Doug Smith

Quick Reply: Tst dissapoints =(