Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Trying again... some recomendations on dual disk clutch other than south bend?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying again... some recomendations on dual disk clutch other than south bend?

Well, Ok, my first post got deleted and I received a two point forum infraction because my post came across as a personal insult to South Bend Clutches. So I will be more careful this time.

I have been woefully out of the loop on CTD matters lately and haven’t frequented the forum much. I will be building some twins and upping the fuel this winter and will need to replace the ol' reliable 13" cerametallic with a dual disk clutch since the mods will put the power out of the range of the present clutch. I would like to know about manufactures of dual disk clutches for our trucks other than South Bend Clutch. I am not interested in a South Bend Clutch under any circumstances.

Last time I paid much attention to clutches on here ( about a good year ago) Haisley had a street dual disk, EEP had a dual disk that some people said "could" be run on the street, and some guy Kenny was just starting to build em. I would like to be at a nice comfortable 500HP/1100 FT*lbs and have a moderate pedal pressure, smooth engaging dual disk.

So what’s the latest ??

KP
Old 10-13-2006, 07:40 PM

i love my haisley street puller.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 PM

haisley street drag. drives great, shifts great, and is holding a 3rd gen on these forums making 677hp and running 12.6 1/4 mile. what more could you ask for.

the eep clutch is complete garbage the center disk is way to thin and will break. it also drives like crap. shifts slow heavy pedal, and is based off a stcok flywheel. they were good when they came out but are now old technology.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:00 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

I also have a Haisley Street Drag. Overall it has been a great clutch. I have had some issues latley tho. Unfortunaley, Ive been trying to get a hold of Van since July. Ive left many email and verbal messages for him, with no return call Pretty sad, when you spend a decent amount of money with a reputable company, but cant get any service in return My advise is, if your going to buy haisley(great product) make sure you live in Indiana

Tom
Old 10-14-2006, 08:56 PM
Muted User

Well I have heard that haisleys stuff is good, but I never heard about the service...... that doesnt sound very appealing at all....

casmokin, I live in the burgh too. I will PM you for some more details on the clutch and your situation..

Kp
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 PM

You can buy any of the Haisley clutches from Scheids as well. I bought my a Haisley Street Twin from Scheid's at Terre Haute. They've usually got one in stock or can get one quickly. I posted on the original thread that was deleted. I've run the following twin disks:
1. Haisley Street Twin: Great to drive, smooth engagement and light pedal. It has organic disks and diaphram pressure plate that make it great to tow and back heavy loads. It's not a fan of slipping, though.
2. EEP: Held the power well, cracked a center plate. It's lever style with heavy pedal pressure. I'm not sure, but it may have been Miba pucks? It's streetable, and uses a heavily cut stock flywheel (billet is available).
3. Haisley Street Puller: Very streetable, diaphram pressure plate (low maintenance). The disks are sintered iron with a strapped center plate (low noise). I bought mine used and it took some pretty good abuse from me and the previous owner.
4. Kenny's Machine: I'm running his triple disk. His twin disks use ceramic pucks, lever style pressure plates.

For someone not planning to pull, I'd recommend a diaphram pressure plate. Diaphram plates are low maintenance and self-adjusting. Good luck with your decision,
andy
Old 10-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN
I also have a Haisley Street Drag. Overall it has been a great clutch. I have had some issues latley tho. Unfortunaley, Ive been trying to get a hold of Van since July. Ive left many email and verbal messages for him, with no return call Pretty sad, when you spend a decent amount of money with a reputable company, but cant get any service in return My advise is, if your going to buy haisley(great product) make sure you live in Indiana

Tom
I know you don't want to hear anything about SBC, but I was having a minor issue w/ an SBC clutch recently... (overpowering it) called Peter on Sat night, left a message, I got a call back Monday morning...

that's why I buy my clutches from SBC...

YMMV,

Forrest

Trending Topics

Old 10-15-2006, 11:43 PM

From what ive seen, Kennys clutches seem to be a toss up. His shop is only about 30 minutes from my house and theres quite a few people i know that have ran his clutches. Some people have great luck with them, and some dont hold worth a dime. But i think a lot of peoples troubles are that they dont get them adjusted right. One of my close friends recently got tired of his kenny clutch and went to a SouthBend and its been nothing but great. But since SBC is out of the question ive also heard great things about Mcleoud (sp) dual disks, and theres a guy around here thats making at least 525hp that is running a dual disk from a guy named Dave Mitchell.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Teddy Bear
But since SBC is out of the question ive also heard great things about Mcleoud (sp) dual disks, and theres a guy around here thats making at least 525hp that is running a dual disk from a guy named Dave Mitchell.
Dave Mitchell owns EEP! See post's above about cracking floaters!

Chris
Old 10-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Muted User

Thanks for all the great info guys. I have heard that EEP (mitchell) has the floater problem corrected on all the new models. What is the adjustment you need to make with the three finger lever setups and how often is it necessary ??

Kp
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 PM

i was told mitchell has the cracking problem fixed and i was told that by another clutch builder.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM

The replacement they sent me was supposed to be Cryo-ed. I sold the truck shortly after the replacement; I don't know if it fixed the problem or not.
andy
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts
Well, Ok, my first post got deleted and I received a two point forum infraction because my post came across as a personal insult to South Bend Clutches. So I will be more careful this time.

KP
Actually it was removed because you insulted everyone who liked South Bend Clutches and as such we received complaints from members who were offended by your verbal attacks.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 AM

what about woodruff?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 AM

EEP's (Mitchell's) cracking problem was resolved by an updated floater design that allowed for heat dissipation without excess stress. Beware of their pre-sales support & service- make sure you know what you're getting into before you order. Low price is nothing if the service sucks.

brandon.

Quick Reply: Trying again... some recomendations on dual disk clutch other than south bend?