Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Truck bed tool box/fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck bed tool box/fuel tank

I'm trying to deciede on a tool box /fuel tank unit to add to the bed of a new 03 Dodge Quad Cab. Any recommendations on brands to look for, cost, is this a do-it yourself installation. If not DIY who in northern Calif would you recommend install it?<br><br>Thanks
Old 11-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Truck bed tool box/fuel tank

I just installed a tank/box last week. It is 41 gallon and I use gravity feed. Some will make a lot of fuss over the gravity feed, but a lot of the details pertain to the original equipment tank, not external in-bed application. My tank was from a Florida builder and meets Federal guidelines for an external tank. Installation was rather easy, but I let the pro's do it. It is polished aluminum diamond plate, very nicely made, good locks on the box. It has a gauge inside the tool box. Cost was $600 plus $150 install including parts. I would say the parts for installation would have cost about $40. <br><br>There are some other tanks that use pumps, have in cab digital readouts of fuel situation. They run around $1400 plus shipping plus installation. Take your pick.<br><br>You should be able to find a box/tank combo from most truck or hitch supply places. <br><br>FiverBob<br>pic attached.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:53 PM

Transfer Flow is in Northern California (I think Chico), Aero Tank is in Southern California (I think Corona) both make Tank/Box combos, and both have web sites. After seeing FiverBob's setup I am seriously considering going with his setup, his brand is available from Northern Tool for just under $500 but they estimate over $200 in freight to get it to Vegas.

FiverBob, how did you do your plumbing? Do you switch main/aux or do you gravity feed into your main tank? If you feed the main, how to you switch the feed on and off since the aux holds more than the main? Does the aux tank have a seperate fuel guage or do you switch the O.E.M. guage? Did the tank come with a sending unit, and did the sending unit meet the same ohm specs of the stock unit?

I hope this becomes a real active thread, I am very interested in these setups as well.

Truck # 5 (see sig) has an old style Transfer Flow (swithces main/aux and uses O.E.M. guage, new style has digital guage and feeds main) nice units and VERY pricey.
Old 11-30-2002, 11:00 AM

Nevada,<br><br>You are right on. I found the tank first at Northern Tool. I was about to order it when my local Hitch House said they would order the tank in and sit it in my pickup bed for $600 including freight. Of course I jumped on it.<br><br>I have attached a photo of the valve. You are looking down into the bed beside the tank. <br><br>Fuel tanks no longer use vented fuel caps, so the tank is a closed tank. Perchance you left the valve open too long while refilling, it should not matter. There is a vent in the picture above the valve. This allows for air intake to the aux tank while filling the main. I have used this before on a motorhome back in the dark ages. The valve was under my seat in the cab. I would open the valve while driving, watch my gauge and shut it off when I had come close to filling the main tank. I only had a little overflow one time because we stopped for a stretch break and I forgot it was on. The installer has installed about 50 of these so far and no one has complained that it overflowed. I will not chance it and follow the same rules I did before - - open the valve, watch the gauge, then shut it off when nearing full.<br><br>The tank gauge is inside the tool box.<br><br>My only concern at this point is the vent. It seems a little low for a full tank. I am wondering if this might have a tendency to pop a little fuel into the bed if sloshing. The tank has two (or three ???) baffles inside. I might raise the level if it does it. <br><br>I have added another post below of the install into the line.<br>Bob
Old 11-30-2002, 11:15 AM

Pic attached is under the truck looking up at the fuel filler/vent lines. I tried to mark the new installation.<br><br>The main filler was drilled and sized to receive a screw in adapter. It was then also brazed to hold it in place. The flex line was then run down thru the bed and attached.<br><br>I felt the quality of the box and the locks was of a good quality. All in all, very happy. I have put fuel in and tested it and all went as planned. <br><br>Bob
Old 12-01-2002, 06:53 AM

Seems to me you could locate a Fuel rated (no spark?) solonoid to repalace the hand valve with and just mount a toggle switch on dash somewhere. Clean looking setup though.<br>Duane.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:22 PM

[quote author=DuaneWKKC link=board=7;threadid=7680;start=0#74108 date=1038747186]<br>Seems to me you could locate a Fuel rated (no spark?) solonoid to repalace the hand valve with and just mount a toggle switch on dash somewhere. Clean looking setup though.<br>Duane.<br>[/quote]<br><br>You can. I just love the KISS principle. Been there and done the other - - gave me troubles.<br>Bob
Old 12-01-2002, 09:05 PM

I found another tank manufacturer . Saw one of thier tanks in another truck, great quality , good work. They gave me a price on the 115 gal. alum. tank. $995 installed complete with all hook ups and gauge unit works with in dash gauge .Tanks are DOT approved. Have other sizes. They supply a lot to the 'Hot Shot' drivers that haul new RV's. They are in Elkhart, Indiana.<br><br>You can find them at; www.duallydepot.com<br>
Old 12-01-2002, 10:50 PM

Found another supplier www.handyindustries.com that sells a tool box/tank combo that might be good for us short bed folks. They have a 30 gallon version that only takes 14&quot; of bed space. Also an alternative to diamond plate as they only offer black powder coated steel.