Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transmisson rebuilt!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Transmisson rebuilt!

Finally got my transmission back together and installed in the truck. I have a DTT TC, valve body, front servo, accumulator and update kit! This is the first transmission I have had apart, so this was a great learning experience. Thanks to Bill and his crew at DTT, they were very helpful with a few problems that arose during the build. Just drove home from work so haven't had much of a test ride, but the TC certainly feels more efficient and the shifts are firm. Looking forward to turning up the Superchip and not slipping the TC.
Alan
Old 06-09-2007, 05:53 AM

Congratulations on what sounds like a job well done and having the ***** to tackle it in the first place. Were the problems you had something that was specific to your rebuild or something that others might encounter? I would be interested to know what your final cost was also. I think this is the next project for my truck.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Did you take the overdrive unit apart??
Old 06-10-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on the rebuild. Did you take any pics? What special tools did you have to have and what about the $$$ saved? Getting close to pulling the plug also, just want to be sure that I'm not in over my head.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Trans rebuild

Very happy with the results of the upgrades. The problem I had during the rebuild was with the front kickdown servo. The upgrade servo and cover comes with teflon rings, I installed a steel ring in the cover as per the stock rebuild instructions. This was an exceedingly poor plan as the cover got stuck in the bore. Really stuck. Fortunately I live close to DTT and Bill pulled my fat from the fire and managed to remove the stuck cover. They installed a new cover with the correct ring and pressure tested it for leaks! A really great bunch of people in Abbotsford, thanks a lot!
The cost to do the rebuild with the parts I used (no billet) was about $2500 Can. I was able to park the truck for the time a non pro takes to remove, clean, teardown, assemble, re assemble and re install the unit. Not the type of job that you could do in a weekend for someone like me.
I did overhaul the OD unit. The intermediate shaft spacer measured up to be correct, I did machine 0.015 from the OD piston spacer though. It would be nice to have the set up shaft for the OD but it does work just fine using the intermediate shaft to set up OD. I had no allignment issues!
The tools needed to do the job have been noted before, I will get a digital camera and take pictures of the tools I made to do the job!
Alan