Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Questions

I might be in the market for a new transmission soon. I am consindering a rebuild with heavy duty parts or getting a complete transmission from one of the major builders. I would appreciate some input from some guys who have gone down this road before. I am looking for long time longevity with the most bang for my buck.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

450hp and under-Dave at Goerend.
450+-Stefan at DTT.

Dave has the best warranty hands down and has some of the best prices I've ever seen. Only reason I'm not going with him is because he doesn't have enough guys over 600hp. DTT does and has been proven several times.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:05 PM

I would say if you can afford it, go with a complete package from one of the major builders, you will most likely be happier in the long run. They do know their stuff.
mishkaya
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 PM

Don't know if you're allowed to discuss prices but how much would the goerend set me back. Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Banned

I think around $3000 for a single disc and built tranny. Compared to DTT's $4200 for the same package.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any one know what exactly they do other than the converter and V/B for the 3k more in the full built trans?
Old 01-18-2006, 09:51 PM

I would have to assume it's the billet shafts that increase the price that much.
mishkaya
Old 01-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Nope. Dave goes in and puts in new clutches, steals, seals, and other stuff.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:09 PM

Well I cant say for sure.....
I know that DTT does good work from the responses here but wonder what other parts get changed or.....I will have to give Stefan a call and see what it is they do differently than any other builder to warrent close to double the money? Is it parts or..
Old 01-18-2006, 10:15 PM
Banned

Mainly parts. IIRC, Dave just uses factory clutches and steels and what not until you start going into crazy power. DTT uses all aftermarket stuff no matter what.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Nope. Dave goes in and puts in new clutches, steals, seals, and other stuff.

Blue
I've heard the kits are like $300 and the trans can be gone thru in 4 hrs so what I'm getting at is does DTT do 20hrs more prep/assembly work at $xxx a hr to charge that extra $$$$ I know the figures I'm using arent 100% but you get the idea so I guess what I'm asking is what are you really getting for the extra $$. I forgot to ask about the warrenty also perhaps thats part of it?
Old 01-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Banned

I honestly couldn't tell you that part. I'm just pulling information from when I talked to them earlier this past summer. All I know is that if DTT builds you a trans for 400hp then it'll hold 600+ because they pretty much build the trans the same way, they just set the VB up a little different depending on your power and other factors. You really should just call up Stefan and Dave and talk to them. They really are great guys to talk to and they both know their stuff inside and out, front to back.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:34 PM

Yeah thanks blue thats the plan, just wondered if you guys had some insight for now.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:57 AM

RATSUN - Some DTT differences!
- 4.4 Ratio "apply lever"... custom design. Stock = 3.8. 4.4 gives 15% more torque in 2nd gear!
- Billet pistons & pressure plate for longer life before trouble develops.
- 5 instead of 4 friction plates in the front clutch pack.
- Custom designed Accumulator Piston to eliminates leakage. Stock tranny piston is plastic.
- Custom designed Servo & Servo Cover... for better control of leakage discovered in stock trannys with not very high mileage.
-Custom made Torque Converter. There are more good TC's on the market today than there were...but IMO, none to compare to DTT's.
- a few other "proprietary" parts they have made to their specs to allow for more precise tolerances and clearances throughout... especially in the critical third gear clutch pack and front drum.

These and other differences result in better transfer of power to the ground AND more importantly (to me) a longer lived, more trouble free transmission able to handle what we throw at them.

I was told by my DTT builder that there is a DTT tranny out there that was set up for 600 hp two yrs ago, that is not holding over 850 hp! It has not been upgraded yet because it is working fine as is!!

No knock on the other tranny rebuilders, but I'm convinced there is are differences that more than justify DTT's hgher price for those that can afford it.

RJ
Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 AM

Thanks RJ
Basicly then the do alot of extra mods and put in many other better parts to warrent the extra $$$

Quick Reply: Transmission Questions