Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transmission Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Questions

Hey Guys, I’m looking for some info on torque converters (single & triple disc) & valve bodies vs shift kits.

I’m not sure what I would like to get in regards to torque converters. Some people say single disc, other triple. So I called a few transmission manufacturers and started asking some questions, as well as calling some of my buddies who have had their transmission upgraded.

For Instance my one buddy has a triple disc with a heavy duty valve body and he said his truck shifts very solid and you can really feel it locking up and shifting. I’m not looking for a harsh shifting truck & that’s what I told the transmission manufacturers and some said the torque converter doesn’t control how hard it shifts or not. All of that depends on the way the valve body is set up. Well back to my buddy his friend has the same triple disc converter and he just installed a trans-go shift kit and he gets the same shift that my buddy is getting with his heavy duty valve body. So the main question is what determines how the tranny shifts & is a $150 shift kit as good as a $400-$500 valve body?

All I plan on having for a while is the Comp Box so would a single Disc be enough or would it just be better to go to the triple disc? And would a shift kit be just as good as a valve body?

The next thing is I would like to test drive a truck with a triple disc setup & one with a single and feel the difference…
Old 09-02-2005, 04:07 PM

Mine has a triple disc and it shifts really smooth at any throttle position. Once in a great while it'll drop into third a little harder than usual under real light throttle.

Feels to me like a properly applied manual clutch, nice and smooth, but with no lag during the shift.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:02 PM

Just as cowhand said , my shifts are smooth , no real harseness. I think as smooth as stock or better.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the single disk, and I don't think you can tell the difference. If you are going over 500hp, I say go with a triple disk.
Mike
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM

To anwser your ? of is a shift kit as good as a V/B and the anwser is no, you are much better off with a bolt up V/B than trying it yourself you will be much happier that way. trust me i build and install V/B's often and there is alot the directions dont tell you that expirience does. and as far as torque converters go all i can tell you is the suncoast pro lock series just ROCK.

Chris

Last edited by wannadiesel; 06-03-2006 at 10:08 PM. Reason: ad removed
Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by engcogod
For Instance my one buddy has a triple disc with a heavy duty valve body and he said his truck shifts very solid and you can really feel it locking up and shifting. I’m not looking for a harsh shifting truck & that’s what I told the transmission manufacturers and some said the torque converter doesn’t control how hard it shifts or not. All of that depends on the way the valve body is set up. Well back to my buddy his friend has the same triple disc converter and he just installed a trans-go shift kit and he gets the same shift that my buddy is getting with his heavy duty valve body. So the main question is what determines how the tranny shifts & is a $150 shift kit as good as a $400-$500 valve body?

The VB and TC both have alot to do with how hard the truck shifts, the VB controls how quick the shift is, but with a looser converter ie. 89%, you dont feel it as much as with a tight converter ie. 91%. I think

Randy