Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transmission advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transmission advice

Im real torn on what to do with mine, whether its a locally built DTT or buy an ATS complete from TST and send them mine back as a core and have a local transmission / driveline guy do the install. My experience with the local DTT guy so far has been not so good, I end up feeling stupid every time I call. Not a way to do business. Does Goerend's sell complete transmissions with all the goodies with a core return or do they prefer to do an on-site or approved dealer install like DTT?
Im looking to do a complete build like the ATS stage 5 with the billet input+drum. Eventually want to get the truck to around 450hp or so.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goerends will send you the unit.

I know some have had good luck with ATS but others have not.

To my knowlege no one has had an issue with Goerends because they stand behind their work without making you go to the wall to get them to fix it (IF anything ever went wrong)

Big Jimmy
Old 02-24-2006, 01:19 PM

I'm looking at Gorends and from what I've read he'll send one to ya or anywhere you need and then send yours back with the container that the new one came in , but there are about 4 places that most get there trans. from , 2 that you mentioned , it may have been that they had a bad day but DTT is one of the recomended.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:21 PM

Well at least shipping from Iowa isnt so bad as say, from CA.
I send Goerend's an email about what the specs on his build is and what the prices are with core. If it comes out to close to what Id pay DTT Ill probably go with theirs so I can go to someone I dont mind dealing with.
Are there any post-installation adjustments that need to be made or are these all set to go right out of the box?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=kawi600
Are there any post-installation adjustments that need to be made or are these all set to go right out of the box?[/QUOTE]

I know Dave makes himself available for any advise/consultation that is needed. His main concern is his tranny gets in there and set up the way you want it.

I suppose the hard part is finding a tranny guy who is not threatened by someone elses expertise.

Big Jimmy
Old 02-24-2006, 08:40 PM

I have talk to a DTT rebuilder here in michigan two years ago and was not impressed. They want a lot of money to do a little bit. These trannsmission are not hard to work on and they don't put a lot of trick parts in them for the money.

just my thoughts
Old 02-24-2006, 08:51 PM

Scott at Mass Diesel is a good guy, he is also a very busy guy between working on trucks and answering phone calls ect. Since you live so close, take a ride down there to his shop and talk to him about what you are looking to do, he will answer your questions. You will NOT be dissapointed in his work. If I were in your shoes, I would get the DTT done by Scott, yes all the other brands you are looking at are good, but it would be much more beneficial for you to have the local DTT guy do it, because he can service the tranny properly, fix things quickly if you were to ever have a problem. If you go with another brand, it will be alot of phone calls if things go wrong and overall more headaches with trying to get things right. I had Scott do my trans back in June and i have about 22000 miles on it currently and i have loved every minute of driving it.

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2006, 11:37 AM

yeah I think im agreeing with dansdodgediesel here. I got quoted 5200$ for a DTT buildup and the email I got from Goerends quoted me much less. I will have to pay for round-trip shipping and install but even when I factor those in the price is still lower. Not to mention the folks Im dealing with make me feel a lot more confident in the end product.
Are there any options Dave offers for these builds that I should ask for like the triple disc tcc? Im assuming hes already installing the billet servo's and oversized clutches you see mentioned in other companies' builds. I dont know about the planetary gear sets if those are left stock. Also assuming the valve bodies are tweaked for shift points and higher line pressures.
One more thing Im wondering about is if its safe to launch these things hard with the TCC in lockup like some folks seem to suggest.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:54 AM

I think that of the 4 all have all the same opptions avalable , and you get what you want and or need ,
You may want to ask Dave if he knows a shop in your area that is familier with his tranys , its nice to have an installer know the product he's working with , but from what I've read , Daves happy to work with people over the phone .
It seems that you've made your choise and just double cheching , I've done a lot of reading on this and all 4 have very few neg. post and I do not remeber Dave having any .
I think you could get what yo want with any of them , but thats what choise is all about.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:58 PM

what do these trannys have that is so great. heavier band strut, one more direct clutch, Maybe a better input shaft (Wich would cost something to make) And a modified valve body. And a $150 rebuild kit with clutchs, steels, seals, and bushing. All for about $2500 plus. Add a $1200 convertor with that(Wich if is a triple disk with a new stator, cost alot to make)

$3700 Kinda pricey if it's still a single disk

I guess if It last. It's worth it
Old 02-25-2006, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by dansdodgediesel
what do these trannys have that is so great....
The short answer is: the ability to hold 600 hp & 1100-1200 ft-lbs (with the billet input) without flinching.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:15 PM

with stock clutches and steels seals and bushing.
to
Old 02-26-2006, 06:44 PM

to
uuhhhh, no.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:44 PM

to
Dave has clutches that are made out of a different material than the stock clutches. I think his transmissions also have five clutches instead of just three.