Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transmission advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CIN'S DODGE
Nope can't do it won't do it!!!!We are talking about TRANSMIISSIONS here

Oh that's just plain MEAN...........I'll go sulk in the corner now

~Nick
Old 10-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

I need opinions here, Very very important to me!!! That is why I'm asking all of my fellow DTR member. I greatly appreciate everyones opinions and advice!
Old 10-24-2005, 10:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CIN'S DODGE
I need opinions here, Very very important to me!!! That is why I'm asking all of my fellow DTR member. I greatly appreciate everyones opinions and advice!

Alright enough joking out of me!! I like DTT myself.........although I'm stupid and don't have one yet.......but I think they have an awesome tranny. ATS hasn't really impressed me as far as trannies go, a guy I work with just got one and he isn't to happy with it considering what he paid for it.

~Nick
Old 10-24-2005, 10:29 AM

greatly appreciated , and thankyou Gotlift
Old 10-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

Suncoast is also a good tranny, I think it's a toss up between Suncoast and DTT, both of them have massive potential and are built like a brick Edit house. Goerend trannies are good, but I've heard they are only good for up to 500HP and have some issues after that ( don't know for sure but that's what I've been told ).

So my advice would be to call suncoast and DTT and ask a bunch of questions and that should help you decide on which one will suit you best.

~Nick
Old 10-24-2005, 01:25 PM

thank you gotlift01
Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM

I did not post this thread to get tranny wars going. I did in fact get this thread started for alot of reasons.I for one wanted OPINIONS and ADVICE from my fellow DTR members .I sit down and read these forums everyday and it is very interesting to me and my husband. I also see quite a few people that don't like this and that's fine.Some people may not like that and that's fine. I would just like to see more opinions and advice. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Banned

though we don't have a strip or dyno here, that doesn't stop us from gathering on deserted roadways late at night out of town. I had an ATS stage 4, and I worked it hard. I broke several shafts, though my own fault and not theirs, as I hadn't spent for billet yet. HOWEVER, I though the converter to be really loose, and the more power I made the worse it got. Granted I sit on 35's, but when I can put it to the wood off idle and have the converter stall to 2400 without gaining any speed, that seems loose to me. I drove locked up almost all of the time to counteract this. There are those that say (including ATS) this is an okay practice, but I'm here to tell you after being inside, I saw the aftermath of doing so. I had severely burned frictions and steels, a few broken pinion thrust washer tabs, and a few other things. Moral of that story is I wish I would have gone with a tighter converter. Now secondly, the price of the trans ITSELF was $2400. When I opened it up I sawe mostly stock components. Granted there was an aluminum accumulator piston, and a little heavier band strut, but other than that just upnumbered run of the mill borg warner clutches, and stock pistons in the servos. The VB was modified, but anyone can do that with the knowhow and a good transgo kit. I think I paid too much for a "stock" transmission, and I paid $1500 for a converter that just didn't work well in my truck.

Now for the service history. My first stage 4 lasted 4000 miles and failed...a rear clutch failure that grenaded the trans. They sent me a new one, and I received it in one month. It had a faulty TC....clutch wouldn't lock-up past 1/3 throttle. After another month I received one 2nd day UPS. Also had a problem with a VB in which Clint instructed me on the mods over the phone and I performed them. They never denied warranty even though they knew I was working on it. The second trans held fine for a while, then I broke the input, which destroyed the enire front of the trans. Upon disassembly (the first complete disassembly of this unit BTW) that's when I discovered the burned clutches). At that time I decided to convert to a 5sp and build another lighter race truck with a DTT.

While I believe their warranty support was more than fair, and that they may build a decent RV unit, I don't think I would feel comfortable throwing 6 or 7 hundred horses at an ATS....billet or not. And I defeinitely think there are better TC's out there for a lot less money for the high horsepower crowd.

Now I hope this doesn't start a war. I am just giving MY opinion and experience here guys and gals. It is not the holy grail, but I stand on it firmly. My advise would be to let stefan or bill profile your truck, and take a lot of time making them explain to you why they custom make alot of the components that they do, why their necessary....at no more cost than most others'. Then call the other competitors and let them explain to you why those custom parts aren't needed, and what they do instead. Ask them what clutches they use, and who makes their high performance sealing rings and VB parts. If you get answers like transgo, borg warner, Dodge, sonnax etc, ask them why they chose them, and how they apply those companies' technology in THEIR units. If you ask enough questions, you'll start to get an imp[ression of each company and how tuned they are with what their techs are doing back in the shop. Then make up your mind.

Okay sorry long post. Good luck
Old 10-25-2005, 03:45 PM

I've read a lot of tranny threads on this and other boards, and I've yet to hear anyone that was NOT satisfied with a DTT tranny or their service. Their home shop is a long way away from you, though.

That said, my own dealings are with Dave Goerend, and I'm very pleased. Call him. If he says he can build you a tranny to hold your torque, then he can. He WILL stand behind his product, plus he's a lot closer to you, just two states away. Plus, his prices are very reasonable.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Banned

I think mainly it all boils down to everybodies opinion and their experience with the different companies. It's hard to say who is truely better unless someone has owned a product from each company and can compare them. Everybody is going to stand behind the company they went with especially if they have had good luck with them.

And honestly I can't really say who is good and who is not! I still have my stock tranny and haven't experienced any of them. Now what I've heard and read tells me that DTT, suncoast, and Goerend have a great reputation and they stand behind their product no questions asked. Which is a comforting feeling especially when spending that much money on a product. From everything that I have read and asked and have been told, I'm going to go with DTT just based on popular vote!!

It's tough when coming to a decision on spending that much money on just other people opinions and suggestions. My best advice like I said before is just call every company and talk their ear off about what you are wanting and how you are planning to use it.............that way if something goes wrong it was your decision instead of somebody elses. JMO

~Nick
Old 10-25-2005, 05:15 PM

I thank all of you for the advice and opinions concerning the whole transmission deal . We didn't want to open up a can of worms by any means.This is a big decision and alot of $$$$ as we only want the best product.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:03 PM

AFAIK, DTT trannies are assembled by someone semi-local to you.. I.E. Mine was assembled by TiminVA, who is in VA Beach. Having a local point of contact is invaluable, and they can fine-tune the trans to your truck...

For example.. when my trans was installed, he also set the line pressures, drove it a little bit, set the bands, checked the cooler flow, etc etc... BIG advantage over having one show up on a crate.

The builders are not freelance though.. They are thoroughly trained by DTT, and from what I hear, DTT are sticklers for precision.

I know I'm very happy with my DTT, which I installed after my ATS took a dump and they called me a liar.

DTT also offers 3 different TC's based on how tight you want the fluid coupling.. I have the 89, and it's alot tighter than the ATS was.

Bill is quite outspoken, but if you've got a great product, ya tend to be proud of it.

Just my $.02
Old 10-28-2005, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by got...DIESEL?
and build another lighter race truck with a DTT.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Muted User

Tranny stuff

I am more than happy with my Goerend TC/VB. I rebuilt the tranny myself, and this is the second one I have done. You can see mine in my sig time will tell to see how well it holds, but so far so good. The other tranny is in a 01 with a set of BD8's(240HP) drag comp, and HTT 66. That tranny has over 30,000 on it and still doing great. I am not sure DTT makes all of their parts, I think you can go to TCS and get all those parts. I think DTT makes excellent stuff, but there were a few things that he said and I called him out on them and then he started back pedaling and saying I wouldn't understand. It just gave me an uneasy feeling. Lots of people are happy with there DTT stuff, I have heard a few complaints about ATS service, I personally really like Dave at Goerend, I asked him a few questions and every time his answer was customer oriented about hating to have one in a customers tranny and it fail, and all sorts of stuff.
Old 10-30-2005, 02:22 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm using a DTT trans and I am very content. I have installed some stuff from DTT and from other vendors. Not enough to say that I'm an expert or to have good statistical data but enough to form an opinion.
A pure DTT breed tranny is awesome. Built to specs it will last and perform as advertised (or better) for a long time. The support after sales is very good.
I've installed a Mojave Green TC and mated it to a DTT trans- the TC falied and sent debris through the tranny and damaged sensors and solenoids. Even while it worked the fluid coupling of the Mojave green TC was inferior to the DTT TC, while still being better than stock for a mildly bombed truck. The TC was tight, but didn't do a good job of torque multiplication. With an empty truck on flat roads it worked OK, but put a real load to it and the gap to the DTT TC opened up.
Some folks mentioned that vendor XYZ doesn't build all the stuff himself. I think that is not the point. First of all they are vendors. Judge them by the complete product you can purchase, where the service and support must be regarded as an integral part of the product. Even if the vendor doesn't make a single bit of the product himself, he's still the one who will have to match all the parts and who is the one you are going to contact if you need help.
I didn't work with Goerend. I've tried to work with ATS when I did my truck, but at that time IMO they had a "one size fits all" philosophy, and they didn't explain some stuff that I really wanted to know. I can't judge them on this since I've only had telephone contact and e-mails with one of their vendors. I've never touched a part from them so this is just an observation of making phone calls.
Some basic rules of thumb that do apply on trannies:
A tranny must match my needs. I don't profit from the tranny that's in a dragster in California while I try to pull a load up a mountain in Austria. Compare what you get for your truck.
Be very frank with the vendor. Tell him what you intend to do and let him fine tune your tranny for your needs. Listen to him when he states the limits of what he sells.

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Transmission advice