Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

transgo shift kit vs. fairbanks transaction kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transgo shift kit vs. fairbanks transaction kit

can anyone tell me which is better or worse? im rebuilding my transmission and found the transgo kit for 103 shipped or the fairbanks kit for 60-something shipped and comes with a stronger band strut. any info as soon as possible is appreciated since ive already started building the transmission and want to order the kit within the next few days. thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi
i have the transgo and it works good , but i bet the fairbanks is a good kit also as they have been in the bisnes for a long time also .
where is the fairbanks sold through ?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:37 PM

its through patc. as far as from the pics it looks like the fairbanks kit doesnt come with that valve body plate like the transgo kit but it does come with a strengthened band strut. just wondering if anyone has the fairbanks kit. im leaning towards the transgo since that seems like the one everyone has and have good reviews about. havent seen anything about the fairbanks one hardly.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:11 AM

I put the TRANSGO Diesel kit in my 96. I am happy with it.

Floyd
Old 10-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackimpala
I put the TRANSGO Diesel kit in my 96. I am happy with it.

Floyd
Can you put shift kit in yourself or its complicated and you'd have to take it to trans shop?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM

I got the transgo kit but ended up not needing the plate, even though it was shipped with it. I did end up adding a band strut to my trans.

I just took a look at the Fairbanks kit and I can say that the Transgo kit is definitely more complete, (except for the band strut). Transgo adds a few more pieces, (like some stronger spring holders), which could add to the reliability and adjustability of the valve body.

I would definitely add a drain plug to the trans pan. I've taken my pan off twice since putting in the Transgo kit, (once to adjust pressure and another to change pressure switch and solenoid), and the drain plug saved a ton of grief...and fluid.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:41 AM

I put my own in. Read and reread instructions an took lots of pictures. Transgo help line is good.

Floyd
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by blackimpala
I put my own in. Read and reread instructions an took lots of pictures. Transgo help line is good.

Floyd
I agree that the Transgo help line is excellent. I went through the instructions page by page with them to clarify what I was going to do.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM

thanks guys. i went ahead and ordered the transgo kit. so should i order a stronger band strut and anchor too? im just mildly building mine so i wanna run the shift kit, i got the billet servos and accumulator to go in it to make sure to reduce my chances of internal leakage. im just gonna run the plain alto clutches for now to keep in my budget but will probly go back through it later on with raybestos or alto red eagle clutches and raise the amount in the direct drum. just looking to get it on the road for now but figured i might as well upgrade the things ive heard are problematic. is there anything else i should get?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:09 AM

I added the stronger band strut. They can be had on ebay for less than 20 bucks delivered. I haven't talked to anyone who has actually had a strut bend but it seemed like a cheap upgrade to me so I did it.

I have cranked my pressure way up so I'm glad I did for piece of mind.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:30 AM

k ended up having to order the low/rev band too because it was screwed, ordered the "unbreakable" band strut for the front one while i was at it. the drum the low/rev band rides on got scored up some from the bad band. should i replace that too?
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 AM

Go with transgo shift kit. Definitely replace the pressure switch and solenoid at the same time. Also install the drain plug kit. Suncoast Valve bodies are stock valve bodies with transgo shift kit installed. Piece of advice call SunCoast and talk to their 47re tranny guy first and tell him what your problems are before tearing into the valve body. Their are other little tricks that you can do to help out while your in the valve body. Read the instructions several times before starting the job and make sure you have all the tools prior to starting and fully understand how to remove and install the valve body. Another little trick to help with keeping track of all the parts is to use the old cooky sheets from the kitchen, just buy the wife a new set; keeps her happy. Keeps parts in one location with out the oil going everywhere.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:46 AM

had mine for a week now and im ok with it so far, i do get a slight clunk when it shifts to 4th but i think thats the band too tight.