Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transgo kit for stock eng/trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transgo kit for stock eng/trans?

On one of the responses to a previous question about improving MPG on mt 2002 Dodge 2WD diesel truck, someone mentioned a Transgo kit to step up the pressure in the tranny to pull better. Will this also help the MPG if it shifts better? Has anyone here installed one of these? Can you set the firmness of the shifts?
Thanx for the help......
Old 01-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Banned

I put a completely new valve body in my tranny from DTT and didn't notice a difference in mileage. I did notice a BIG difference in holding power. I'm holding 100hp injectors and a comp with the wire tapped on 2x2 and a KSB-1. I've even done a couple of runs on 5x5 with no slippage. I'm loving this valve body.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:34 AM

i had orignally put a transgo shift kit in my tranny after i did that... the tranny held good for all but 2 days... but when the tranny tried to hold all the power of the twins.. i started to break stuff right away......
Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have done a bunch of valve bodies, The SMR kit is very nice, the kit Dave Goerends sell is great. Give Dave a call, he can really set you up. 563-778-2719
Old 01-31-2006, 11:26 AM

I used to have a Transgo in my truck. After a several years of poor shifting (1-2 quick up shifts and 3-1 downshifts only after a complete stop), I changed to a DTT VB. Night and day difference! It'll now downshift from 3-1 around 17 mph instead of under 5 mph with the transgo. I also would get a limp mode start every couple of months - just one time, restart it and it would be OK. Now the shift kit was installed by a well known diesel performance installer - not by me; so I'd expect it to be set up right. I had the DTT VB installed at a local tranny shop along with a billet accumulator & DTT servo. In the end I should have gone with the DTT VB right from the beginning, but that's another story...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

In my 47rh I did the Transgo reprogramming kit not the shift kit. The reprogramming kit is a little more involved than the shift kit. In my mind money well spent. I've had a tranny line pop off twice due to my ignorance and the trans still holds strong. My advice is if you don't have a STRONG mechanical background just buy a valve body that's ready to install. As for picking up mileage with a firmer trans, sure. If you think about it lower pressures = more slippage which = more power consumed by the tranny = more pedal to the floor. I WILL still be getting the full DTT monty but the transgo and and a good t/con have kept me held over till I can afford a truly awesome engineered paackage such as what DTT offers.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:36 PM

I have to agree with Northslope. There is more to putting in a shift kit than drilling a couple of holes and adding springs. You can adjust shift points/feel by adjusting pressures, springs, cable, etc... Experience is what tells the guys that do this for a living what the right combination is. Oh... I tried to get help from Transgo customer support, but they really couldn't give me too much direction. It sounded like they were mainly a gasser type tranny outfit and not diesel. Figure it this way: drop the pan a couple of times, replace fluid each time, days of adjusting things, etc... and you have almost the same value as buying a VB that is set up for you - not to mention technical support with experience to help you set it up right the first time.