Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

TransGo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TransGo Kit

About 4 months ago I had a transgo kit and Pro Torque converter installed in my 47RE. Everything is fine but 4th gear is a much harder shift than the rest. They are all firm shifts but 4th seems too hard. Do those of you with the transgo kit experience the same thing? Is it perhaps because 4th gear ratio is .68?
Old 07-15-2006, 12:33 PM

I'm getting ready to install the same kit in my truck and I'm still looking for the video with the installation instructions that usually comes with the kit. Do you have the video that you could send to me, I'd provide postage? What did it cost to have someone else install it for you?
Old 07-15-2006, 02:51 PM

No sorry my kit only came with written instructions, maybe 6 pages. It cost me 400 for kit and installation. What did the kit alone cost you?
Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one here that is the Transgo TFOD-Diesel kit. It says it's for 46 & 47 RH and RE. It came with written instructions but no video. Cost was around $40 I think.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like my transgo shift kit. That is what a lot of the big name transmission guys base their valve bodies on. My trans has essentially the same valvebody as the bullydog truck, that ran on pinks. It only cost me $70.00. I bought another spring to make first gear shift right, but other than that, it is put together with parts from the transgo kit. I set it up a lot different than their instructions say to. I get about 180 PSI line pressure at full throttle, and 80 at idle.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:05 PM

I paid about $40 for the kit and written instructions through eBay. Transgo website says there is a video included if you buy it through them but it's a lot more. I was wondering how much it would be to have an experienced transmission guy install it. I'm a pretty good mechanic but there's ways to really mess this up so I'm gathering any and all info I can before tearing into it. Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the replies, but nobody has mentioned the 4th gear shift. Is it harder than the rest? I know the kit includes parts for improving 4th.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:11 AM

No video with mine either, $38 on ebay. I dont notice a harder 4th gear shift as compared to the others, but i do notice that OD engages WAY too early and lugs the engine. No video required, install is simple. I called Goerends if I had any questions and they were happy to help even though I didnt buy it from them.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by WhoCares79
Do those of you with the transgo kit experience the same thing?
On my '96, "4th" (overdrive) didn't seem much different after the kit.

Originally Posted by roysleight
I'm getting ready to install the same kit in my truck and I'm still looking for the video with the installation instructions that usually comes with the kit. Do you have the video that you could send to me, I'd provide postage? What did it cost to have someone else install it for you?
I installed mine myself. I can tell you the video is less detailed than the written instructions, and even those could use a little help. I paid a little over $100.00 direct from TransGo. Their tech line guy was very helpful on a couple of questions- Not all parts have to be installed, and you can go ahead and turn up the governor pressure screw up to 5 turns without putting in the blue TC seals. There was no way I wanted to part the trans from the engine. Also, I didn't install the downshift to 1st at any speed spool because the video contradicted the instructions leaving me uncertain as to downshifting to other gears at any speed (which I think it will do if you add that part). It would be good on downhills to help with engine braking. I didn't want to take the rear (overdrive) housing loose either, and so didn't put in the heavier reverse spring. The illustration of where to drill the two small holes in the VB did not show an extra passage that mine had, but I drilled them in the passage that they were showing.

Anyway IMO, the install is not a cakewalk for the above reasons. Don't waste your time/money on the video. If you've put in a shift kit before and are a reasonably talented mechanic, I'd say go for the install yourself. If not, don't just let anybody with a trans shop do it, better to find someone who has done THIS ONE before.