Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Transfer Pump/ Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Holly Blue Pump

I was wondering if anyone out there has just mounted a holly blue to the frame and just put it inline with the stock fuel line, Wired it to the harness for the original lift pump and also left the original lift pump in? Or Could that NOT be done? Draw to many amps? pop fuse? My fuel Pressure is Jumping And wanted to do it the cheapest way,Allready need to replace the Cracked #53 Block,,And funds are null....

Check engine light just came on last night,,,,AHHHH
Codes
P1693
P0234
P0121
Cleared codes today,,, took it for a ride and two codes came back.
P1693
P0234

Anyway Just a question about the fuel pump,,,

Might have my own answer if I just DO IT Wednesday,,Anything to save the VP44,,, OR TRY TOO....
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no need to have two fuel pumps in line. It gives you two items to fail instead of one. If one pump is stronger or weaker than the other pump then it would overwork the stronger pump. I put much thought into my pump setup and talked to many people before I did it. Now I have a consistent 15 PSI during normal operation and 12 PSI at full throttle. You can get a Holley for a pretty good price on E-bay. You will need a relay setup to run it off the stock electrical system though. I got the best deal at Summit Racing.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by dodgechick98
Thanks for your opinion. I had looked at the second pump, but was debating if that was good or not over all. I would think if you got one good pump you could rely on , why have 2 ?
if you know that one will do but question its reliability, then a second pump mounted where it works as designed will push fuel through the stocker in the event of a failure, the stocker will pull through the pusher and the guage you put in the truck to monitor the fp will tell you when any of these situations occurs.

you could just run a fass or air dog or some other big single but I am not an all my eggs in one basket kind of guy.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by high country
if you know that one will do but question its reliability, then a second pump mounted where it works as designed will push fuel through the stocker in the event of a failure, the stocker will pull through the pusher and the guage you put in the truck to monitor the fp will tell you when any of these situations occurs.

you could just run a fass or air dog or some other big single but I am not an all my eggs in one basket kind of guy.

That makes sense.....didn't think about it that way. It just seemed easier to have one than two, but after reading that two would do the trick as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I would be concerned with pushing or pulling fuel through a failed pump. Depending on how it fails, the failed pump could become an obstruction to fuel flow. You might want to plumb in alternate paths around each pump that can be switched to (either automatically or manually) in the event one of the pumps fails. This way you don't have to flow through the failed pump if it becomes an obstruction.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:35 AM

Both pumps are vane type pumps. Fuel does not flow through them very well if at all if it is not spinning. If one fails, you will not have the required pressure. Do a search here for dual fuel pumps and you will see that a dual pump setup is not the best method.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:34 AM

Question Still no answer

Thanks for all your help... So I take it,no one has done this ?,, Why would you need a relay setup to run the pump? Can't run of factory relay setup?
When the lift pump fails the VP44 still sucks fuel from the tank,,, SO I would think the Holly would push the fuel through the lift pump,,I can make a plate to go where the stock lift pump is and use the factory wiring... I will do it this weekend,,and post my results,,,, Depending on how cold it is out this weekend......
Only 8 degrees this morning,,

Thanks for all your answers..
Bob
Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hottrodjim
Both pumps are vane type pumps. Fuel does not flow through them very well if at all if it is not spinning. If one fails, you will not have the required pressure. Do a search here for dual fuel pumps and you will see that a dual pump setup is not the best method.
do a search on fass and you will learn that single pumps are not failure proof either, the kit from napa comes with a check valve to bypass the pusher in the event of a failure, myself I did not use it, I just unpluged the pusher and my psi returned to stock numbers, any psi is better then none, which is what you get if you are running a single that pukes.

the only foolproof way to solve the problem is to swap to a 12v cam and add the mechanical fuel pump.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:42 AM

If you are going to run two pumps, a bypass is necessary. That will allow fuel to flow around the failed pump. No setup is failure proof.

The relay setup adds a circuit breaker and allows full battery voltage to the Holley pump. You use the positive lead from the lift pump connector to trigger the relay and supply voltage to the Holley. That way the aftermarket pump cycles the same way the stock pump cycled. The ECM controlls the cycling of the lift pump.

When the lift pump fails you will get fuel to the VP44 but not enough. I believe fuel starvation is the number one cause of VP failure. The fuel volume and flow also cools the VP44 so it is critical that you get the proper flow and volume (pressure).

One of the guys on here has pictures of his pump setup with a home made bypass system. I am sure if you do a search for "bypass" you will find it.

High Country,

Please post the P/N for the bypass valve from NAPA. I am sure people would be interested in that.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:17 AM

Its really, really a ***** to be at WOT, 42 pounds of boost, well over 100 mph, and see your fuel pressure at 15 psi.
FASS.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Truckman]I was wondering if anyone out there has just mounted a holly blue to the frame and just put it inline with the stock fuel line, Wired it to the harness for the original lift pump and also left the original lift pump in? Or Could that NOT be done? Draw to many amps?

i currnetly working on this ill let you know if it works or if i end up getting a diffrent relay.etc.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:40 PM

what year is your truck?

You could just get the complete kit from BD...comes with everything you need. No last min runs to the store oce you start the job. I usually run 20 psi at cruise with this set up...gauge is post-filter
Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

I'm running just a holley blue on my setup and I can't get it below 11 at WOT and it's been on there for a about a year and a half or so. We put a holley black on my roommates truck and just bought 3/8" rubber fuel hose and some barb connections and it's running great. It cost him like $50 in hose/fittings/clamps. I gave him the pump.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:34 AM

Thumbs up Done and It Works Great

[QUOTE=H2SRDMB]
Originally Posted by Truckman
I was wondering if anyone out there has just mounted a holly blue to the frame and just put it inline with the stock fuel line, Wired it to the harness for the original lift pump and also left the original lift pump in? Or Could that NOT be done? Draw to many amps?

i currnetly working on this ill let you know if it works or if i end up getting a diffrent relay.etc.

Just finished installing a Holly Electric Blue Fuel Pump in my truck,, My lift pump was dying and I refuse to but another one,, SO I answered ALL my Questions from a previous post... Really SUCKED doing it in the Rain.Lying on the ground in Puddles of water ,,,,BUT anything to TRY and save the VP44 ,
I wanted to do it as CHEAP as I could,Total cost was $126.89 For all parts,, I mounted the pump on the frame just in front of the Fuel tank, Cut the stock fuel lines and Plumed the pump right in the feed line then ran two wires in a sheath to the connector of the original lift pump soldered the two wires to the lift pump harness,,and left the original lift pump in and running(it was running at 2PSI the night before this install) So now when the old lift pump is cold an working,,I have 22lbs of fuel pressure,When the old lift pump heats up and Stops working I have 14LBS of pressure from the Holly pump,Eventually I will remove the original lift pump I have a replacement blank plate to replace the old lift pump and keep factory lines,, and just have the holly pump. I am going to try to put a Couple of photos in my gallery of it.
I ordered the 90degree fittings for the pump but for now it has straight fittings on it and wire nuts,,,Emergency install,, WORKS GREAT!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being this is the land of multiple opinions I'll throw mine out. After years of racing there is NO WAY I would depend on a holley blue on a daily driver. Years ago I had one fail at the track, and to this day I still see time to time people walking the pits looking for parts or pumps.

Quick Reply: Transfer Pump/ Gauges