Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

trans upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans upgrade question

Thinking Gorend bros, but would really like DTT. My question is what is the deal with 89%DTT or 91% DTT I have tried to look some and can't find much. What is the difference what are these? Are these possibly kits fir self install. And do they make a kit with all clutch packs and necissary's for rebuilding your own. Thank You All, excellent website, more mature than most forums. Any personall experience is greatly appriciated!
Old 02-20-2005, 04:13 PM

The 89% valve body is what most run. It's what I have in my DTT tranny. The 91% valve body will give you harder shifts. Guys that race & have big HP go for the 91%.
You can read more on Dtt's web site www.dieseltrans.com

You can call Bill or Stefan at 1-866-504-4002 & they can answer all your questions

Great people to deal with, great customer service.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:07 PM

The % is which torque converter you end up with. After talking to DTT they will be able to provide you with the best one that suits your needs as long as you are honest and upfront about what you want power and performance wise.

You can't go wrong with either vendor, I've dealt with both and have the utmost respect for both of them.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
DTR Advertiser

Dtt does sell a master kit. As Kat said the % deals with the fluid coupling in the converter. Their are a lot more items in a Dtt trans then what comes in the master kit though. I also agree with Kat on them both being great to deal with. Tim
Old 02-20-2005, 08:49 PM

Both Goerend and DTT have different torque converter AND valve body setups in their product lines
The best way to start is by calling them. They will give you the 20 question survey to determine your current driving style, current and target horsepower level, etc.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 91% is a tighter convertor than than the 89%. This means a lower stall speed, and more heat in the tranny when you are sitting at stop lights. I understand DTT has a TC so tight that you almost don't need to lock the TC. I don't know if I'd want one of those for the street though.
Heck, if you tow, you may not want the 91% just because it will be harder to get the RPMs up to get the turbo to spool. DTT will help you decide when you call them.

Chris
Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Stamey
The 91% is a tighter convertor than than the 89%. This means a lower stall speed, and more heat in the tranny when you are sitting at stop lights. I understand DTT has a TC so tight that you almost don't need to lock the TC. I don't know if I'd want one of those for the street though.
Heck, if you tow, you may not want the 91% just because it will be harder to get the RPMs up to get the turbo to spool. DTT will help you decide when you call them.

Chris
I have the 93%, I rarely lock up. Not sure if they have a tighter one then that.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:48 PM

Kat, they had one 94.5 floating around for a while. I ran a 93% in my 2000, and with the DD cam, it worked fine, as you are fully aware. Your truck felt much lighter than mine. The 89 is the most likely candidate for the majority of trucks. We used to do 91's when they first came out, but since the 89, it works better in most trucks needs.
I ran all 3 in my 2000. The 93 is fun, but with a cam, it was street driveable. The 91 was good too. The 89 with the DD cam, was a fast spooling truck. I sold it in the configuration, knowing the new owner would like that setup best.

DTT makes the choice of converter based on the truck profile, which includes gearing, tire size, power, usage, driver style and year model.

Generally DTT doesn't just sell kits directly to the customer. Call them to see if there is an installer near you. They will sell you a built tranny shipped to you direct, or your shop installing it.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:48 PM

I got my tranny from Georends a few weeks ago and all i can say is its awesome. Dave was amazing to work with all the way threw the project. When ever i find that 12vavle for the right price if its an auto callin georends will be first on the list. I talked with dtt also but i just got more intrested in daves. But you cant go wrong with either.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all of the responses, very helpful. Looks like I will be making some phone calls. My T/C is getting weak, having to let off the throttle, let it lock up, then roll back into the throttle at 45 mph. If I don't baby it between 40 and 45 it has a hard time getting a complete lock up. I tried staying on it once to see if it could lock. But when it tried it almost made me cringe to stay on the throttle while it was slipping the clutch, had to let off after a few seconds to get it to complete the lock-up. Ouch my wallet is starting to hurt already. Thanks to all.