Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Trans shudder going into lockup with DTT

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When was the last time the fluid was changed?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A TC does not multiply torque at hiway speed and rpm - only at low input shaft rpm when the engine-coupled drive impeller is rotating much faster than the driven turbine on the input shaft and the stator is locked - as turbine rpm increases and stator begins rotating, TC becomes a hydraulic coupling - TC should be well past stall rpm at hiway speeds, aftermarket TC's are 'tighter' than oem, have very low stall rpm - torque multiplication is zero, torque loss due to hydraulic coupling slippage can be high, generating heat due to unequal rpm of drive and driven member - TCC lockup increases efficiency to near 100% - increased TCC lockup is part of the enhancement built-in by the a\m trans shops - be thankful.....be very thankful....................

A modification to the valve-body is required to prevent that shudder, iirc

Wikipedia is not the end-all, be-all source for comprehensive knowledge in any field - wanna know about TC's and TCC's, go to an automotive site, incl some of the aftermarket transmission vendors
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
When was the last time the fluid was changed?
Last May when the new TC and VB went in...
Old 09-08-2007, 11:59 AM

Does anyone tow heavy and use a manual switch to lockout the lockup?

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Thanks, I was wondering about the 3rd gear lockup. How heavy do you tow? I know that when pulling light(5000# and under) its fine, when going into lockup in 3rd there doesn't seem to be much difference. But pulling heavy(9000#+) it definatly didn't like going into lockup.

Does anyone tow heavy and use a manual switch to lockout the lockup?
I do, my lock-up acts up occasionally so I do use a manual lock-up switch when that happens, towing approx. 10,000lbs. I like it locked ASAP, that's the only way to get it up to cruising speed reasonably fast.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
A TC does not multiply torque at hiway speed and rpm - only at low input shaft rpm when the engine-coupled drive impeller is rotating much faster than the driven turbine on the input shaft and the stator is locked - as turbine rpm increases and stator begins rotating, TC becomes a hydraulic coupling - TC should be well past stall rpm at hiway speeds, aftermarket TC's are 'tighter' than oem, have very low stall rpm - torque multiplication is zero, torque loss due to hydraulic coupling slippage can be high, generating heat due to unequal rpm of drive and driven member - TCC lockup increases efficiency to near 100% - increased TCC lockup is part of the enhancement built-in by the a\m trans shops - be thankful.....be very thankful....................

A modification to the valve-body is required to prevent that shudder, iirc

Wikipedia is not the end-all, be-all source for comprehensive knowledge in any field - wanna know about TC's and TCC's, go to an automotive site, incl some of the aftermarket transmission vendors

The TC and VB were bought from DTT at the same time so I hope the VB was modded to work with the TC.

The bigger difference you have between the input speed of your TC and its output speed the more torque multiplication you have. Cruising at highway speeds there is very little difference and its almost 1:1.

However my problem is that its locking up too soon. Its locking up when I'm pulling a steep grade, pulling a heavy load at the throttle is near 100%. When it locks up I get about a 400-500 drop in rpm, a loss of torque and a shudder.

I still think its weird to have a TC lockup in third pulling a heavy load...
Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 PM

"I still think its weird to have a TC lockup in third pulling a heavy load"

It's especially handy when you want to tow at less than highway speeds, the 5 miles to my home from the highway is rough and curvey, 40-45 mph max when towing 10,000 lbs., I want it lock-up and in 3rd !
Old 09-08-2007, 01:30 PM

I just had a DTT torque converter and valvebody installed about three weeks ago by TRE Diesel and was told to change fluild after 1000 miles of operation. Also if you are running dextron 3 this could be the reason for the shudder. I was going to call to see what trans fluid they recommend. In there paperwork it says ATF-3 but most run dextron 3 if shudder isn't bad.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:40 PM

The DTT VB and TC would be matched.

If lockup is happening too soon, you can lower the APPS voltage and it will bring in lockup a bit later. You might also call DTT and tell them about the issue. It may be as simple as a cable adjustment.

Fluid can cause shudder as well. I run straight Dexron in my DTT and if I get a little shudder I just add a bottle of Lubegaurd.

I have run ATF+3 with no shudder, but I felt that I may be putting in too many friction modifiers for my setup.

So, if you have not done the initial fluid change, try the dexron/ Lubegaurd setup. If that fixes the issue, then it's just a fluid issue. I would not add the Lubegaurd without knowing exactly what fluid and additives are in the trans currently.

Dave
Old 09-08-2007, 03:20 PM

I'm running ATF+3. Half from NAPA half right from the dealer. Needed about 14L with the deep pan and NAPA didn't stock enough!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:51 PM

I've heard some reports of tranny shudder if the fluid is low. If yours was a bit low and you were on a steep hill you may have lost enough fluid to have a pressure drop.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 AM

I checked it before leaving at topped it up. Plus with the deep pan it would have to be REALLY low to affect performance.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Talked to DTT today but unfortunatly Bill was out. The girl that ansewered said to add a bottle of red lube guard. I told her I was running ATF+3(she was quite surprised!) but said to try adding it anyway.

Any comments on adding the lube guard to a tranny already running ATF+3?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
I checked it before leaving at topped it up. Plus with the deep pan it would have to be REALLY low to affect performance.
Actually, that's not true.

The deep pan in itself does not change the level the pickup is at. So, if the pickup has not been lowered, the same level of fluid is required just like stock.

In other words, being half a quart low with an oversize pan is exactly the same as with the stock pan.

Dave
Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM

The pan comes with an extension for the pickup.....