Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Trans. Rebuild/Modify

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans. Rebuild/Modify

I am starting to look for prices and suggestions for rebuilding/replacing/upgrading my transmission.

To rebuild the existing, can it be modified to handle more power than stock (up to about 500 hp)?

To modify, what parts do i need to obtain, and from who do i need to obtain them?

Would I be better off finding a transmission that will handle what I want it to and getting rid of the one I have now?

What does it take to convert auto to 5 or 6 spd (i know there have been threads on this, but im going to ask it again)

I would like to keep cost as low as possible, but still have a workable transmission.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:00 PM

You can modify the tranny to hold a LOT of HP but you have to have deep pockets. Going from auto to a handshaker would be just as much. The choice is yours. An ATS phase V with a triple disk will handle the load but it is pricey for sure.. None of the stock autos will handle much more than 350 HP or so, perhaps 400 if you are real cautious.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:19 PM

how deep do i need to dig in the pockets to make that happen? any ideas?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Been a long time but I seem to remember about 3500 or so for the ATS, but I'm a geezer and have CRS. Some one who has just done the swap should chime in here.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 PM

sounds about right to me, you will need a good trans. if you go for mods.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:51 PM

I have an ATS. It works well. I would consider getting an aftermarket convertor and just upgrading the valve body, clutches and so on if you are really in a budget bind.

You can't go wrong with ATS, Goerand, Suncoast, or, of course, DTT.
Good luck.You will be very happywith any of these vendors.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 AM

A couple months ago I found prices from $3500 - $5500. Probably didn't go down
Old 04-05-2005, 06:34 PM

approx 4000$ for a full tranny....2000$ or a lil less for a TC and valve body.....a simple rebuild for the stock tranny i have found can be 1500$.....how much power do u want??
Old 04-05-2005, 09:09 PM

I dont really want a lot of power..... want enough that it will make trailer towing easier. It would be nice to leave the occasional ricer confused and choking on soot, but that may or may not be necessary......
Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 PM

then just go with a TC and valvebody...im a fan of the triple disk type design...get that with some sort of valve body mod that lets u lock up in 2nd and up and ur happy...thats what im gonna be looking for when i get the dough
Old 04-06-2005, 09:56 AM

Call Dave Goerend www.gbtransmissions.com , have heard nothing but excellent things about him from this site. He's VERY competitively priced, and his warrenty is 2nd to none that I've heard of. (lifetime on Convertor, 100K on valvebody ((I think)) )
Old 04-07-2005, 12:13 AM

Yep! Call Dave, he'll hook you up!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:13 PM

sounds like im going to end up taking a roadtrip.....
Old 04-07-2005, 03:31 PM

yes give Goerands a try.i believe they quoted me 2700 for a complete trans with convertor,It will handle pretty much all the power you can give it.No billet front and rear shafts though,which you won't need unless you drag race or use an engine brake.I went with dtt and did the work myself.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
RCW

I use DTT's nutbuster modified units because of the billet shafts, the availabilty of parts in my area, the fact that they will jump on the phone and work on tuning issues with me, and they add a few other components and tweaks to their packages. But the tariff on making the jump from a really good to a vastly superior transmission is well over a couple thousand dollars. Goerend makes just as good a unit as long as you are not out pulling stumps at full power, and the will get on the phone and assist you in the set-up too.

If you are going for a unit that will handle street power, talk to the folks at www.txchange.com. They make a unit that is close to Goerend's, but at less than a third the cost; or you can do it yourself with their parts for under $800.

Another option is to chat with the offroaders, sand draggers, rock climbers, and mudders in your area, and see who locally is making a killer transmission. The local expert shops are generally half the cost of the big names, and make units that work every bit as well. Drop by an off road performance shop and see what kind of networking you can do.

DTT has an excellent website with good prospective buyer technical information - www.dieseltrans.com

Quick Reply: Trans. Rebuild/Modify