Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Trans drain back valve location 1999?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans drain back valve location 1999?

Where is the trans drain back valve located on a 1999? Is it one of the rubber lines going to the air cooler up by the grill? Is it undetectable hidden in the rubber line? Or should I see a section that would house that valve?

I dont see any section of my line or rubber hose that would house that valve.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First of all,,, I'm not all that smart about these trannies,,,, but I believe the TC drain-back is controlled by something in the valve-body. I have drain-back and the friend who did the trans said he could stop it, but he would need to pull the pan. No big deal,,,, it doesn't hurt anything as long as I let it run for about 10-15 seconds before dropping it into gear. I just had not been back to him in order to let him do it yet.
As far as I know, there is nothing in the lines to prevent the TC drain-back.
Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in. You could also send Timinva and ask him. He knows these transmissions inside and out.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:12 PM

Not sure about the 99's.. but the older trucks had a check valve at one end of the heat exchanger.. look below the exhaust manifold towards the bell housing.. there's a round canister mount against the block.. one end should have a rubber line on it.. one of the fitting on it is a check valve..
Good Luck,
Bryan
Old 10-12-2005, 07:21 PM
GSP

Im talking about the trans cooler drain back valve in thats in the line somewhere that I want to remove becuase I now have new manual valve upgrade . I want to remove the valve to prevent plug up if it fails.

My truck is a '99 and I just put in a SMR shift kit and a temp port trans line , from Mass diesel,that goes to the heat exchanger . No rubber section stock line, and the new trans temp port line has no rubber line either.

I havent diconected the lines and blown air through both ways to check for the drainback valve. I thought I would be able to see it . I looked at and felt the rubber lines going to the front grill air cooler and dont see a valve location or feel a valve in the rubbber hoses when I sqeeze them.

Anyone know the drain back location on a '99?

Rick
Old 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GSP
Im talking about the trans cooler drain back valve in thats in the line somewhere ,,,, Anyone know the drain back location on a '99?

Rick
Sorry Rick,,
I guess I was not thinking,,,,, which confirms my statement "I'm not all that smart about these trannies,,,," But I know which check-valve you're talking about now. I installed my temp sensor like THIS and I didn't even look for a check-valve.

So I guess you still need an answer from someone smarter than me. I wonder if the 99 even had one. Seems like the only place for it to be, would be up by the cooler connection I guess. (I'll go back to being quiet again)