Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Trans cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans cooler?

Knowing the stock automatic trans is a week link on the Dodge's, has anyone seen any benefit to adding a second trans cooler in an effort to keep the longevity up while towing. In my mind it makes sense since heat is the biggest enemy of trannys.

I haven't had any issuses yet (knock on wood), but I'm always concerned about my trans when I'm towing long distances. I don't want to spend big money to upgrade my trans since I haven't had any problems with it, but since a second trans cooler is cheap and easy to install I thought it might be cheap insurance.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Banned

Look at it this way, what's it gonna hurt if you do add it?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:22 AM

Wet1

In my opinion the transmissions have plenty of cooling on the Dodge diesels. The trans fluid leaves the transmission and goes through a water/antifreeze to transmission fluid heat exchanger. This is mounted on the passenger side of the engine under the turbo. The ATF then goes to an air to ATF cooler mounted just in front of the intercooler on the driver’s side. You can add another cooler if you choose but it isn't heat that kills the automatic it is the cheep stamped steel torque converter with the incorrect stall speed. The thin front cover flexes and warps under heavy load. This reduces the clutch lock up surface area to just the high spots on the warped surface. When this happens the clutch slips causing heat and transmission fluid contamination from the fried clutch lining. It isn't a lack of cooling that causes the heat it is a bad torque converter. There are a couple of vendors that sell a billet front cover torque converters. If you are having heat problems you might want to check them out.

http://atsdiesel.com/

and

http://www.suncoastconverters.com/index.htm

I chose ATS and am extremely satisfied with their products and service.

Edward