Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tranny upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny upgrade?

Was pulling a 14' cargo trailer last night, and as I passed an F350 he wanted to race. I guess my new exhaust might have blown him over the white line. I was forced to decline (wife was threatening me from the passenger seat), but it got me thinking. I woudn't mind getting a programmer installed, either Edge or Juice, but I'm already worried about the stock transmission. It acts up just a little sometimes. Where can I find an aftermarket automatic tranny that can handle more power and heavy towing? First the tranny, then the programmer, then I'll smoke some fords while pulling my skidsteer. If you leave the programmer set on a lower level of gain, do you have to upgrade your fuel system, or anything else?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:38 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If your tranny is already acting up I assume it's on it's way out already. So if you do performance now it's prone to go out really quick.
I'd say that it's a good practice to make a plan on how much power you want first, then select the proper tranny for that power with the tranny builder and to build the engine and fuel system etc accordingly.
Let's see:
Gauges: Pyro, fuel pressure, tranny temp, boost
Tranny (the usual suspects) : DTT (the one I use), ATS, Goerends, Suncoast (no personal experience)
Fuel system: Scotty max flow, FASS or RASP
Box: Edge Drag Comp, PM3, or one of the maaany maaany others, eventually MAD ECM instead of a small box
Injectors: RV 275s or F1 Diesel (or one of the others)

HTH

AlpineRAM