Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tranny Temp Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mooseman
For all you with autos. What temps are you seeing in stop and go traffic? To many stop and goes for me in town I can quickly reach 250 in the hot line. With my foot on the brake at a stop light I can watch the gauge climb quick until I start moveing again, then it climbs slower.

Thanks Mooseman
I haven't seen 250 in traffic yet, but have gone past that offroading.
Sitting in line at the last Drag Days, it got that high and didn't go down till I shut down and just watched.

After a lot of stop and go traffic, it'll hover around 220 or so till I get some air flowing through the cooler.

What surprises me the most is when the outside temp is under 32F (freezing for you Canadians ), the temp still gets up to 200 PDQ.

phox
Old 01-03-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would a bigger cooler help things out? I tryed an elec. fan but it didnt help.

mooseman
Old 01-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Banned

Mine will usually see about 200 maybe 220. And that's when I've moved 1 1/2 miles in 1 hour and a half. If I'm correct, 230 is where your fluid becomes sludge and starts to break down real quick.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Administrator

When I took mine in for the 30K tranny service the guy said the "idiot lite" comes on at 280F.
At that point the fluid is toasted and a call for a tow truck is in order.

I've had mine over 250 many times and the fluid still looks and smells brand new.

It might be the extra additives in the ATF+4 that lets it get hotter.

I think our coolers are pretty big, and an additional one probably won't help much.
The double deep transmission pans seem to help, as there is more fluid for the really hot stuff to mix with and cool down quicker.

phox
Old 01-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
"A picture is worth a thousand words"..........

Old 01-03-2005, 10:40 PM

thanks for all the replys guys... I was talking to the guy where I'm buying my truck & I asked him about where he mounts the tranny temp sender is a plug on the top of the transmission next to the dipstick... Did anyone else ever hear of this?? He said thats where he always puts the senders for the tst kits....
Old 01-03-2005, 11:00 PM

Read this post from Bill Kondolay of DTT transmissions.

http://www.nwbombers.com/cgi-bin/for...9;hl=new;st=16
Old 01-04-2005, 07:31 AM

What about a full synthetic? I am runing amsoil full synthetic. Dont that have a higher break down temp? Thats what I have been told.

mooseman
Old 01-04-2005, 07:43 AM

Glenn - Excellent article. Thought I had read all on Bills Web site but not seen that one before.

Mooseman - Chart listed above by Shovelhead is for non synthetics. Based on Synthetics having a flash point in the 400-450* range, I would consevatively add 70-80* to each line in the chart for a good synthetic.

For example, I run Amsoils "ATF" and have done some testing on it. Varnish does not show up until 325* or higher. Since varnish, followed by gum, is the initial stage of ATF breakdown, I use 300* as my "do not exceed" temp (with probe on the Oil Cooler line).
Still important to realize, the more time spent above 250* (lower for non synthetics), the faster we deplete important additives, and the more often fluid should be changed.

I run synthetics to protect the investment I made in my DTT tranny....but feel synthetics are even more important in stock trannys, as they tend to run hotter due to lower efficiency!

Note: Actual first stage of breakdown (pre varnish) is ATF turning black. ATF is not like diesel engine oil and should not be run once it darkens. At this point, acid has formed and the additives are shot!

RJ
Old 01-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by rjohnson
Glenn - Excellent article. Thought I had read all on Bills Web site but not seen that one before.
Actually that was posted on the nw bombers site. Bill has been poping in there once & awhile & if he sees some miss information he will set the record straight.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Since damage to fluids varies with the duration of the high temps it's always made me wonder how valid the above chart is when the sender is in the output line. This will be the hottest fluid in the system but not for very long. The pan temp can often be 75-100°F cooler.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:27 PM

how much does the line cost?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 PM

Bill, If I understand what you are saying, I agree to a point. Under moderate temps, say up to 225* for non synthetics and 300* for synthetics, damage varies with duration of exposure. Above a certain temp, it takes almost no time to oxidize and evaporate away all additives and allow sulfur (in the base oil of the product) to combine chemically with any water to product acid.

S + H2O + heat will quickly transform into H2S04 (Sulfuric Acid). Once this happens. there is no returning (by cooldown) to a usable product.

Mag Hy-Tec's chart is similar to above, and also refers to pan temps. How these correspond to sustained oil cooler line temps would be an interesting study.

Engcogod - Believe Dodges price for 95 oil cooler line, with temp probe socket built in is $140 (6 months ago).

RJ
Old 01-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by rjohnson
Engcogod - Believe Dodges price for 95 oil cooler line, with temp probe socket built in is $140 6 months ago.

RJ
I think I got mine for $120, but it was purchased by the garage that did my guage install, so they most likely got a discount.

phox
Old 01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
Banned

$120 sounds about what I payed for mine last year.

Quick Reply: Tranny Temp Question