Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tranny temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny temp gauge

Were is the best place ot put the sending unit, is there a fitting I can remove and use or do I have to make one. Its a 97 4x4 auto Thanks
Old 07-04-2004, 08:03 PM

I brazed a bung in the pan on my Jeep. You just need to make sure that there is nothing in the way of the sender when the pan is on. You could probably put in in the outgoing cooler line with some compression fittings and a T. The temps might be slightly different.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a replacement line from Dodge.
It was used in the 1995 trucks, the hot line to the trans cooler.

A little more than $100 bucks, but you are measuring it at it's hottest point.

Can't remember the part number, but it has been mentioned numerous times.

Did a search (wonderful little button)
Dodge part# 5011244-aa /tube oil 7014002

phox
Old 07-04-2004, 08:09 PM

There has to be an easier way than making a bung or spending another 100$ just to hook in to the tranny.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:53 PM

I just went to the plumbing supply place down the street and got a 1/2"npt brass T fitting and two 1/2"npt > 1/2" compression fittings. Cut out a piece of the outlet line approx 3" long and installed the T/comp fitting in its place. My Autometer Gauge came with a 1/2"npt fitting to thread right into the T. This setup puts your temp probe perfectly instream of the fluid exiting the tranny(hottest temp) with out impeeding its flow. Its worked great now for almost 2 years and cost less than $10 Give it a try.
ratsun
Old 07-04-2004, 09:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
First of all a pan gauge isn't accurate at all, you're measuring the coolest fluid in the system, best to go with a probe in the output line to the cooler.
If you're looking for cheap Blue Chip Diesel 888-628-7373 sells a tee kit for the hot line for around $30, or you can buy a compression tee from the hardware store for a third of that.
Many folks prefer the '95 line with the port over installing a tee because it doesn't introduce a potential leak source.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:08 PM

Why not monitor temps in both the pan and hotline? You can quickly calculate temp differential to see if things are working properly.

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2004, 09:20 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

It is a good idea to do both, so you can monitor the efficiency of your cooler, but the outlet as close to the tranny as you can is the most important place to put one.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compression fittings and a "T" block from NAPA for less than $10 bucks,,,,,, less than an hours time to install,,,,,,,,,, over 4 years and no problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Information from readings and peace of mind,,,,,,,,,,,,,, PRICELESS!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:17 AM

Infidel

Bill, I have always respected what you have to say and consider you very knowledgable. However, this time I think your wrong when you say "a pan gauge isn't accurate at all".

A gauge anywhere in a closed system is valuable info - if taken for what, and where, it is. A pan gauge measures the average temp of fluid about to enter the system. As long as relatively cool fluid is entering the tranny...etc. Yes it is not an instantanious reading; Yes it should have a lower red line than a gauge located on the hot line; But I have trouble envisioning, and more importantly have never heard of, a problem where a pan gauge did not give sufficient warning!

If I was doing it over, I might do it differently, but I don't really feel any pressing need to change the pan gauge I have.

Just my opinion.

RJ
Old 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
RJ, my feelings on a pan gauge come from several posters on TDR who had both. The problem came when backing up for a distance especially with a trailer, such as jockeying into a camp space. They had rapid very high output line temps while the pan temp was fine. Not much air flow from forward motion is the cause.
What finally made me change mine was from my own experiences on 1st & 2nd gear 30 mile uphill Forest Service roads when I had just a pan gauge. There were several times my pan gauge read fine but the stock AT warning idiot light came on. That's when I knew it was time for a change.
But any gauge is better than none...
Old 07-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I also see the error in placing a tranny temp gauge in the pan. It is done often because it is easy and cheaper than doing it the other way.

I can back my trailer up my driveway and watch the tranny temps climb very quickly, but I have my gauge where it will let me know this is happening, in the line out. The temp in the pan would probably show little if any changes at all.

If you spend the money to put in a gauge, seems like the smart thing to do would be to put it where you actually need it. By the time things get hot enough in the pan to warn you, the damage has already been done.

Transmission fluid life span correlates directly to the amount of heat it sees during service. It can be taking serious heat and you will never know it if your sender is in the pan.
Old 07-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I was totally amazed at the temps I saw the other night.

Was just toodling around in the mountains cause I was bored.
50-60 degrees out.
Not flooring it, hillclimbing or anything, just slow driving.
I saw 250 degrees.
Last time I saw that I was climbing a pretty steep hill, flooring it, spinning tires, etc.

I had to stop 3 times during 20 miles and let it idle in neutral to cool down.

Wasn't slipping or anything, just 1st and 2nd gear almost idling around.
Dodge really needs to allow lockup in lower gears.

I have my probe in the hot line to the cooler.

If I didn't have the guages, I'm sure the temps would have gotten hotter and caused some pretty good damage.

phox
Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 AM

Thanks guys

Since most of my off roading is fairly flat, and my towing is very light, I may be a little naive on the subject.

Curious what you consider red line for hot line temps (Phox - you obviously get uncomfortable around 250*) and if that's with synthetics?
Have read the warning light comes on at 280* Sensor is near the hot line, correct? Think that's too high?

Love this web site, never stop learning!

RJ
Old 07-06-2004, 09:51 AM

WILL THAT LINE WORK ON A 2001 AUTO OR IS THERE ANOTHER P/N?

Quick Reply: Tranny temp gauge