Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tranny question(something still slipping)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny question(something still slipping)

Hey guys. As many of you know; i just put in a single disc goerend converter not long ago. I love it, but i still have something slipping in the tranny. Im thinking its still the TC. Dave told me the TC might still slip possibly. The tranny doesent give me a lick of trouble other than in overdrive with the TC locked, it will still slip something at lower RPM's(under 2k), or in 3rd and/or overdrive while pulling. Id like to get this fixed. The slip is a smooth feeling slip. Not jerky, and doesent feel like its shuddering really. I have the transgo shift kit. Dave said that would raise line pressure to about 130psi at WOT. He said his valve body would raise it to about 180psi at WOT. Id really like to get this slipping stopped. I can run it easy enough to not have to worry about it loaded, if i can just get it where it doesent slip unloaded. Dave said my converter has basically stock clutch material on it, so im thinking thats the problem. If you guys think that is the problem(and its not the clutches slipping), then will it hurt anything to go to a built valve body that provides more pressure? Dave said something about possibly breaking a clutch apply lever or something if i did without upgrading it. I think you have to pull the tranny to put one in. What are you guys thoughts on this? Will it hurt to put in a built valve body, or not? The tranny has over 120k or so on it, but shifts perfect every time, and does great other than this slight slippage im having. Of course i have to get my rear end fixed before i do anything with this But christmas is getting close, and this might be the present i "need" Also, if anyone has any idea how much one of Daves Valve Bodies is, i would appreciate it. Thanks again! Ill have this thing straightened out one day.

Eric
Old 11-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Banned

I'm running just a VB from DTT in mine and nothing's slipping at all. Even at 371hp. I did go ahead and replace the 2nd gear band strut with the DTT one and I'm glad I did. The factory one is very thin and looks very weak. The new one is very beefy (1/2" if not thicker, factory is 1/8"). I'd do the valve body. I don't recall what my pressures were after but 150 or so sounds right.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:25 AM

Where does the 2nd gear band strut go, and how hard is it to put in/how expensive is it? I need to just call up Dave, and see what he thinks; but figured i would get you guys opinions too. Looks like i will be getting a valve body sometime down the road then. Hey Blue. Did your converter slip any before the valve body was put in? Thanks!

Eric
Old 11-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Banned

When you pull the valve body out you'll see it. It's very simple to install. Loosen the 2nd gear band strut up, pull out the old strut (it practically falls out), put the new one in, adjust the band, and that's it. My converter wasn't slipping before the VB but then again I was also only putting down 260/600. But I figure that if the VB is holding an extra 111hp and who knows how much more torque, then I figure it's gotta be doing it's job really well. Yours was slipping before you put the new TC in, right? I know that once an auto tranny starts slipping that it's all down hill from there. Let us know how it turns out.

Tyler
Old 11-21-2005, 06:22 AM

slipping

someone correct me if i am wrong, but ALL of the converter clutch slipping i have seen shuddered like a standard shift clutch when one trys to pull out with the stick.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:54 AM

Trust me, I'm as thrifty as the next guy but sometimes it just is not worth the hassle to try and cut corners. JMHO

I would do what Dave advises. He seems to have a well respected following.