Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Track Bar Time.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TDR site,2nd Generation-no engine or drivetrain-Thread=Time to do something about the Track Bar-4th or 5th thread down.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 PM

Well at the risk of turning this thread into a "soap opera" as was mentioned on the other site I will try to explain, Darrin had the idea for the DSS as Marv said. Darrin is VERY challenged in the technology department, He flame cut and chicken s**t welded a bracket up (I personaly saw it) then went on that other site known asTDR and said an outfit in Weyburn was building them! He then somehow convinced Marv to redesign and manufacture them. to run it they set up a company,---Solid steel, which Marv still owns 50%.although he can nolonger control the quality which he is fanatical about.
To this day both Marvs and Darrins DSS are made to Marvs design, so they should fit no matter who you buy them from.
At the same time marv's wife left and Marv removed his name from the Solid steel web site, the plans for the TBK which had not been released yet disappeared from Marvs fileing cabinet. Ironically they were for a prototype which does not fit without modification! Darrin's TBK does not seem to fit without modification, so far he hasn't figured out how to fix them.
For three months Marv sold no brackets, Darrin wouldn't pay him his share so Marv just started selling them himself (he had to feed his kids somehow). Marv took the high line and never posted anything on this, until Darrin posted a pack of lies about him on the other TDR.

So to sum it up Darrin did NONE of the research on either the DSS or the TBK and never built a single one except that very first crude one, Marv did ALL the R&D on both the DSS and the TBK (HIS TBK fits) and manufactured the first DSS sold himself. They both have the brackets made now at the same shop but Marvs TBK is made to fit. Is Marv happy his wife ran off with his X friend and bussiness partner? of couse not! but as for who is the bad guy, you be the judge. By the way when did you move to the USA Herb?

Monk-- Right here in Weyburn,-- the eye of the storm
Old 01-01-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the shop that actually manufacturers this item should just buy out the 2 equal partners so the rest of us can benefit. Too bad people on these forums could not focus on the issue and not the personal heresay that is generated by gossip, at the risk of being harsh maybe these 2 should grow up. I have both the TBK and the steering box stabilizer kit and they work despite DC's ability to avoid the issue and not fix it. The quality control issue is important as they are attached to the steering components that caused us all grief and did fit with a little patience.
Monk thanks for the explanation although unnecessary to justify peoples personal choices and others egos. PK
Old 01-01-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I use the lifetime warrantied Napa trackbars. No questions asked when it's time for a trade in, never had one last less than 30k.
For the $500 or so it costs to convert to the 3rd gen bar I can justify the 15 minutes it takes to change a lifetime bar dozens of times.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:18 PM

I avoided the soap opera and saved about $120. I'm running this track bar, it works great, rebuildable and adjustable. Direct bolt in with no adapter required for stock height trucks, welding required for lifted trucks.

http://www.thurenfabrication.com/trackbar.html

Had it dropped off at the door in less than 3 days.

I still think this 03 track bar set up is gonna fall short. The bushings in the 03 bar are rubber, and AFAIK are not replaceable.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infidel - My 03 Track Bar/DTB Kit conversion was $354.00 total...but I take your point.

Cowhand - The Thuren Track bar looks great...didn't read it all but may be the lattest & greatest. Wish it was available when I needed to change. Not sure I agree about rubber bushings on 03 trackbar...time will tell.

RJ
Old 01-03-2005, 09:08 AM

Well......my truck did the death wobble for the first time to me over the weekend and all I can say is BUMMER!! Now I must join you all in the quest for a fix... What does everyone think of the lukes link??????

thank-you
Old 01-03-2005, 09:09 AM

ps I don't want it to do that while the wife is driving it at any expense!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 10:27 PM

i would go with a new style track bar and just be done with it, thats my .02 cents.....i have the DTB....
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by SHARPMACHINE
What does everyone think of the lukes link
I think they work fine for a cheap fix. I know a few that have been on for over 50k without a problem.

After looking at a 3rd gen trackbar I just don't see how it can be a permanent fix since rubber is involved, granted it is a better design than the older ones though. The trackbar just has a lot of force generated on it especially on rough roads, it's bound to wear out.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:13 PM

Couple thoughts here. The rubber bushing will most likely last longer than a hemi joint. If the rubber bushing does wear out, then press it out and install a poly bushing. Those rubber ends are there to absorb some of the bumps you are referring to. Better to wear them out than other hard components. Those bumps are what wore out the original Tie Rod End of the stock bar. After having the 3 gen bar installed for a month and a half now, I think it is a good fix. Like I said somewhere else, the bar is "always" going to be available to repair accident damage down the road some day if needed. Lift your front more than 2" and then the issues is quite different. SNOKING
Old 01-04-2005, 01:11 PM

question: Is a front end allignment needed when changing the track bar?? I would think not if you were using a non adjustable one. Second question is how much are the napa lifetime bars?? thank-you
Old 01-04-2005, 01:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need to align the vehicle, I bought my track bar from advance, it was 112.00 with the lifetime warranty. My stocker lasted until about 93,000. My GFL replacement only has about 12K on it to date.