Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AH I see From the links GAndrews posted they don't spin off.I hope i don't damage them. I tried to get replacement connectors so i didn't have to use the ones off the sport mirrors,but they are not available. I will be making the swap in a couple of weeks,so i'll let you all know how it worked out. Thanks again for all the advice. TG
Old 08-14-2005, 02:12 AM

Cool

Just thought i would let you all know, i finished the OEM power/heated Trailer towing mirror swap this weekend. It was difficult for me to compress the spring,but well worth it IMO. Now for the good news,FYI , if you buy the 02 manual mirrors and the 03-05 power heated mirrors new(ebay) they have been revised. In other words,I didn't have to do any grinding or breaking off of tabs to make the swap. The springs are also identicle. The new castings are exact now on either years and only requires swapping the bases,extending the wires and hard wiring to the harness,as you cannot purchase the connectors separate. Cost was about $ 488.00.,and i have two sets of mirrors i can sell to recoup some of the cost. Pics can be viewed in my gallery. Just wanted to give special thanks to Dodge301 and Gandrews for the wonderful advice,and the links to make the swap. TG
Old 08-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TGCTD,
Glad everything went well. It's kind of a hassle but it is well worth the trouble.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:30 AM

so I want to go power.....

I have a set of the manual fold ups on the truck now. Can I swap over to the power ones and what all would I need? Would I only need to buy the new mirrors from ebay? I am thinking the control **** would need to also be purchased or does it come with the power replacement mirror kit?

The first time I used the mirrors for towing I actually cracked the mirror trying to adjust them. I would love to have the power ones so that doesn't happen again.

Chris
Old 11-27-2005, 07:52 PM

I just bought a set of 3rd gen power/tow mirrors on E-bay new for $257+19 shipping. I had already bought the contol **** and heater/AC console from "redlinear," another E-Bay guy that sells parted out Dodge Cummins stuff here in AR.
Yes, you do need a control **** to go in the driver's door panel. And, if you want the factory heated mirror switch, you need the entire heater/AC control assembly, ~$160 at the dealer. Got mine for $24 on E-bay, used.

I just hope all the instruction threads I have saved on the harddrive will get me through the swap.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:56 PM

If you have the manual tow mirrors now,then you need to buy the "03-'05 power heated tow mirrors. Then make the swap using your bases. You will have to see if the mirror harness is there behind the door panels, add the remote switch and the heater control with the power heat switch, if you want to remain OEM. You could substitute a toggle sw.,instead of buying the heater control to save some money. You will more than likely have to grind your bases as most people have in the past. There is a link you can go to that I think is in this thread that will tell you how to make the swap. It is well worth the read,and has many excellant tips. Be sure to get a wiring diagram for both mirrors as they are not wired exactly.The sites that will help you are http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...?&albumid=16271 http://www.turbodieselregister.com/...tow+mirror+swap