Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Towing injector/turbo recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing injector/turbo recommendations?

I haul a high wind resistance truck camper and tow a 7000 lb trailer.
Truck is an '01 HO with an EZ box set on #2 and a Cummins exhaust brake with a 4 in. exhaust system. (EGT's went up 100-150 deg. when the exhaust brake was installed, but I won't give it up and drive without one!)

At highway speeds (at altitude) I regularly see 15 to 20 psi boost and 1000 to 1100 deg EGT's to maintain ~67 mph running into a headwind.
(pyro installed before turbo in rear of manifold)

Max boost at WOT pulling hard I see at altitude is 26 psi.
At sea level, it'll show 30-31 psi.

Pulling high altitude mountain passes I have to back off the throttle to keep below 1250 deg. EGT.

I'd like a little more useable power to pull mountain passes, and want to run a bit cooler than 1100 deg running down the highway all day.

1.Would RV275 injectors improve anything with the stock HX35 turbo?

2.Would F1 1.6 injectors improve anything with the stock HX35 turbo?

3.Which turbo would work best with the above injectors and keep driveability (spoolup) within reason, PLUS work with the E-brake?

Thanx for any help!

Jim B.
Colorado Springs
Old 11-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Registered

i also had a turbo mount exhaust mount, but i couldnt run it and acheive the hp i wanted. So i ditched it.

Anyways, back to your question. I think you could run some mach 1's or 1.6's and send your turbo into HTT and have them upgrade it. Thats what i thought about doing. With their upgrades, you should be able to keep it cool, and keep your exhaust brake.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
a smarty mach 1-1.6 injectors intake and exhaust will get you there I have the mach 1.6s in my 01 HO with a brake the only time i see EGTs to high is in the summer heat and then there is no problem staying on top of it! in the winter 1200* is all i see in the summer I can push it over 1300* if I changed the turbo I think that would cure any EGT issue there was . but like I said vary easy to control!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:46 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Roadranger
Longtime no see. How is it going? I have read that the 1.6's can get a bit toasty towing in the hills at altitude. I ran 275s and an ez on level 2 and had no real problem with egts but that was towing lighter weight than you. My trailer is only about 4k. Mach 1's might be a better fit for the altitude and probably a little better power than the 275's but also more expensive. I also have a smarty that you can try out if you like. If you want to haul on up with the trailer we can load it up and you can see if it is going to work better for you. Or if you have an upcoming trip let me know and you can probably talk me into letting you borrow it for a trip.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want "more usable power" and lower EGT's I see no choice but a bigger turbo. The Mach 1.6 injectors are sweet and designed for towing, but will add heat... thus the new turbo. The Phat Shaft 62 would be ideal, IMO, and added to the 1.6's you will be in heaven

Other possible option is H2O/Meth injection and the injectors. May allow you to save $ by possibly keeping the HX-35, if interested.

RJ
Old 11-27-2006, 05:24 PM

In my opinion adding bigger injectors will only increase your EGT problem pulling the passes. Some bigger injectors might run cooler on the flats, but typically I think bigger injectors means more fuel means more heat. You will essentially end up with the pretty close to the same usable power because you will still be banging on the same high EGT limit.

If your brake is a turbo mounted version, your options get limited for a larger turbo. Most would recomend some form of a HX35/HX40 hybrid. But I am not sure it that would effectively help you out either. Possibly with bigger injectors pulling the grade your EGT will drop, but more than likely you could see an increase of EGT on the flats. The stock HX35 from my experience is a pretty good towing turbo.

Make sure you check and or clean out your radiator and intercooler fins. They could be crudded up from the crank case vent (oil dispenser) if you have not relocated it yet. Check your air filter as well, possibly look into a better flowing cold air intake. Don't forget to consider a faulty fan clutch.

I have a F1 Helix2 cam installed on my truck. Single handedly it has done more to reduce EGT's than the installation of the 4 inch exhaust or the cold air intake. The cam really helps on that end, but it gains almost zero net Hp just like the intake or the exhaust.

If I were to completely start over, I would begin with the same exact questions you have asked and focus on simply that. The main focus would be EGT control. In my case like yours, the exhaust brake got in the way of everything I did. You might consider ditching it now, and replacing it with a 4 inch in-line design. Selling your brake the turn around cost can be reduced.

I started out with a spendy Banks Stinger performance box. By far, that was the best worry free towing set-up I had. From my experience, all of my Hp mods made my EGT problems worse with each step. However; I ended up almost double the engine Hp than I started with. Still, I must constantly keep one eye on my EGT's and control of them is never far from my mind while driving my truck. Just like you do now.

Proceed carefully, you are about to start sliding down the slippery slope...

Good Luck;
Jim
Old 11-27-2006, 08:26 PM

I have the same truck with the same box and e-brake as you and used to tow a 7,000 lb trailer with no egt problems. I just got a 5th wheel that weighs about 12,000 loaded and I think I am going to get a cooling mist water/ methanol kit. I love the e-brake and don't think it would be worth the cost of getting a bigger turbo and changing to a different style exhaust brake.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM

Thanx for all the suggestions, guys!

Looks like if I add bigger injectors, I'll need a bigger turbo to cool 'em down.
I can't send out my old turbo for upgrade, as the truck is a daily driver, now.

I won't give up my Ebrake, so does that Phat Shaft 62 turbo have the same outlet size as the HX35?

Isn't there a Dodgezilla (?) turbo out there that adds more huff, but has same outlet as HX-35?

In the meantime, I might take you up on that offer to try out your smarty, BarryG. Only problem is, I need the truck camper onboard AND the trailer to conduct tests, and the TC is in storage for the winter. PM me your phone #, I'd like to talk with you.

Radiator and intercooler are clean as a whistle, thanks to screening BarryG gave me and a puke bottle replacement when truck was new. The truck doesn't overheat, it's just that I've got to watch the EGT's all the time and can't pull mountain passes WOT with the weight and wind resistance I've got.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 PM

look ay my mods

I just towed for the first time after adding the HRVP. My trailer is 9000 lbs and I had 3 motorcycles in the truck bed. I went through a pass that at times is real steep. I was passing cars still in OD! EGT's dont seem to be an issue, it pulls GREAT.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:55 AM

The dodgezilla is a 35/40 hybrid. The phatshaft uses a hx40 downpipe so no go on that one =(
Old 11-28-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I researched turbos for towing with my EGT problem. You can see the setup have now, and what I am going to add, in my sig.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 PM

Yeah I hear you on the exhaust brake, that is the same the conclusion I came to. That decision was, "the brake is staying" as a choice I made early on. I haul a TC but pull a smaller boat than you do, maybe 3k for the boat. The brake is the single most useful thing I have done to my engine.

Check my sig, I went with the Dodgezilla turbo. There are other hybrid turbo's out there. Most would recommend a 14 cm waste gated turbine in some form after you install bigger injectors, but you can use your stock 12 cm turbine and get the compressor modified or just buy a new one. There are certainly cheeper options than buying a completely new turbo like I did. I have not towed with the Dodgezilla yet, so I can't respond about the performance. I am hoping for an improvement over last season.

I have 65 Hp injectors, the Smarty and a TST. I can adjust my Hp as high as +200, but can never go below +65 Hp. I did this because I was afraid the EGT's would be to hard to control with bigger injectors. I got the Dodgezilla for EGT relief, but in the end mostly because I seem to have a problem with my OEM installed testerone injectors. My unloaded WOT numbers dropped 200F with the Dodgezilla, like 1600F to 1400F so I am reasonably happy with those results.

For my part the HX35 was working OK, I just needed to pull the grades a bit slower in 4th at times. BTW with the Banks box I pulled most anything, not too steep or curvy, I came across in 5th gear maxing out at 1150F typically on cruise control. At that time all I had installed was a 4 inch exhaust, a K&N drop in filter and the exhaust brake.

I have had allot of fun bombing my truck. I suppose that is what it was all about for me. You only get to live once.

Jim
Old 11-28-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info, NoSeeUm.
I like that the Dodgezilla dropped your EGT's by 200* with the bigger injectors and box.

How is the driveability with the Dodgezilla? Is there a lot of turbo lag? Especially with the 14cm turbine?

Now that I'm using the truck to commute to work, driveability (especially stoplight to stoplight with the 6 speed) is a big issue in addition to being a 'heavy hauler'.

What do you think about going with F1 1.6 injectors, the Dodgezilla 14 cm turbo, and my EZ box? ...for both commuting AND heavy hauling?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:17 PM

The EGT is a bit higher at 60 mph cruising. Like from mid to low 600's to mid to high 600's. The lag is maybe a tad bit slower. Its pretty hard to compare the after I pulled the HX35, but the difference would be minimal. The torque hit got noticeably a little bit better, once it starts to spool. The driveability difference with the truck unloaded is essentially not noticeable.

Like I said I have not towed with it yet. So far it would seem 5th gear would run about as hot as before, but 4th gear cools right down.

I hate to recommend something that I have not tried personally. But, I would think the 1.6's would be OK, allot of other people use them. The EZ box in general will help lower your EGT's as long as you don't tow real heavy it should be OK.

The EZ box advances your timing which gives lower EGT's, better fuel economy and more Hp at the expense of higher peak cylinder pressures and higher combustion temperatures. The latter you can't monitor so it leaves some uncertainty there, but talk to a few more people. I think it will likely be OK for what you intend to do with your truck.

Jim