Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

torque converter upgrade questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torque converter upgrade questions!

id like to get a new torque converter in the spring so i started doing lil bit of research....i understand that the TC ideally should be about 1700rpm stall correct?? or around there...a better lock up clutch too right?? ok well im only looking to get up to about 350 hp not more its a daily driver and my budget is very limited.

so as i looked through a mustang mag (sorry i know its ford but it doesnt count k) i noticed awesome prices on low stall 1800rpm converters with steel billet covers rated to 800hp for 600$!!!

that being said, as soon as i visit a diesel performance site all i see is 1500$ outragous prices.....i can have my tranny rebuilt compeltely for that kinda money

so whats the difference ??

what if i just go to a regular muscle car performance place and have them machine me one for 500$?? why pay 1500$??

go easy on me as i am still learning

Andrew
Old 10-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

Stall speed is all relavent to engine HP and the TC should be designed accordingly.

I could write volumes and pages on this subject but I would only be subjecting myself to criticizam and snide remarks from others so the only thing I will say on this subject is go to this web site www.gbtransmissions.com and then call him and talk to him. I do not use his transmission or parts but I do beleave he is the most honest aftermarket parts maker bar none. Just click on the url and it will take you to his website.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:25 PM

yeah i hear ya...im visiting the link right now...i was simply curious about the differences between a 1800rpm low stall billet converter(rated for very high hp) in amustang versus an 1800 rpm stall from say BD or a company like that....i was under the impression that the most important component was to get a lower stalling TC thn the stock unit and a unit that holds more torque and hp?? am i on the right track??

ps if anyone has great links to the stall speeds and converter comparisons for a newbie than id appreciate it so i can get a quick course on it
Old 10-22-2004, 07:47 PM
Banned

Most of it has to do with the design of the stator inside the TC.

3200 lb mustang vs. 8000 lb truck, then add in the torque of the cummins engine with lower Hp numbers.

Your on the right track and we could all give you all kinds of information that evenually will get lost and misconstrud in the unending writing so here are a few aftermarket transmission parts maker you might want to call and make a judgement from what they tell you. If one answers a question and the other company did not call the other company back and ask the same question, that way you can compare apple to apple. Most if not all the calls are toll free. By the way it will be your money that your spending so being informed by calling and asking questions even if it takes a month or two is money spent well.

www.gbtransmissions.com
www.bd-power.com
www.suncoastconverters.com
www.atsdieselperformance.com
www.dieseltrans.com
Old 10-22-2004, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whichever Converter Vendor you choose, make sure you talk to someone else that's using that converter. I didn't and it ended up costing me an extra $700 and a month of headaches. All I can say is stay away from Autotrans and Protow out of Edmonton Ab. Canada.
Old 10-22-2004, 10:00 PM

I have a GB tranny and all I can say is WOW!!! The price was quite reasonable too. I cannot say enough about how I like the product.
Tom