Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Torque converter not holding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcmopar

Cumminsdriver,
Get the valve body kit from Dave and get it in there before you destroy the TC, it won't take long if you are slipping it!!
I definatley need to get it as soon as I can, but I dont slip it much. I can drive around slipping it very easy as long as i dont work it hard at low rpm's in overdrive. My stock converter lasted for a pretty good while slipping, so i think this one will be fine since i dont slip it much at all. If I use my Valet switch, I cant slip the Torque Converter no matter what; so i have been using the valet switch while pulling loads with no problems. She will walk on up the hills in overdrive with the converter locked then with no problems.

Eric
Old 01-09-2006, 07:28 PM

DO you recommend a Valve body form Dave? For some reason I am stuck on a Vb from BD performance. Would that be a waste of money? Is daves just as good for a cheaper price? Also want to install a BD pressure loc with a new VB and try to save my stock converter. Any thoughts? Is a valve body hard to install? Any thing to watchout for?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
McMopar, I can't remember the exact numbers on the VB pressure. I was just told that you could get more out of the 48RE VB, which is why some switch to it. I tried to recall the numbers from meory, but the RAM in my head ain't what it used to be...

Not much to the VB. You have to take the electronics loose on the left, and the kick-down and shifter linkages, then 10 bolts inside the pan. Watch out for the accumulator (I think that's what it is) piston though, It will fall out in many cases, it's on the right side, toward the front, and there is a spring in there that will fall out if the piston does.
I forget the torque number, but as long as you don't gorilla the bolts, you'll be OK.
If you have to swap the electronics, and in most cases you do, you need Torx to get the bolts loose to swap them. It's T-15 or T-20, I forget.

Chris
Old 01-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldog800
DO you recommend a Valve body form Dave? For some reason I am stuck on a Vb from BD performance. Would that be a waste of money? Is daves just as good for a cheaper price? Also want to install a BD pressure loc with a new VB and try to save my stock converter. Any thoughts? Is a valve body hard to install? Any thing to watchout for?

I have used a bunch of different tranny companies stuff, and I like Daves. IMO great pricing and a better product. I have never used the BD stuff, but they have a good reputation. Don't let my opinion sway you, they are all a great improvement over the stockers! When you reinstall the VB torque it to 100 inch lbs!! This is very important. You might want to install one of the cast aluminum oil pans, they minimize the flexing in the case. Don't forget a tranny temp. gauge.

Stamey-the 48RE might have more pressure stock, but add a spring, adjust a screw and I believe you can get the same result---Although I have been wrong before --But only once!!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:57 PM

What brand is a decent tranny temp guage and sender? I would like to go with an electric one.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:34 PM

Im running autometer. Never had a trouble with any of my guages.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
McMopar, I wish I could talk specifics on this, but I don't remember enough. I feel like it is reliable information because I heard it from a DTT rebuilder, who's running one in his 2nd gen. He asked if I wanted to do it to mine, when I was getting my last rebuild, but as I said before, I'm not gonna worry about it until I start slipping what I have now.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 PM

We'll I've been looking for tranny parts for a longggg time and I've finally decided just decided to go with a Master rebuild kit from one of the major tranny companies, running one of Justin's torque converters and leaving in my current Shift Kit. As of right know I'm leaning towards DTTs and hopefully upgrading to the billet servo and accum. Do yall think Suncoasts extreme duty rebuild kit is comparable to DTTs? Also does Dave offer a extreme or master rebuild kit?

Here is what Suncoasts includeds: Alto Red Hi-energy frictions, Kolene steels, gaskets, seals, sealing rings, rigid intermediate band, billet strut and anchor, billet 4 ring accumulator and 5:1 ratio lever. The extreme duty rebuild kit furnishes all the soft parts to accomplish a complete overhaul. It increases clutch count in direct and overdrive.

Is the 5:1 ratio lever really needed? I thought most ran the 4.4 lever?

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats by no means a hijack....we're definately talking about getting our hands dirty and doing it ourselves. All my hard parts are A-ok in the core I have. Front clutch and OD clutches and steels are pretty nasty though. I would think the 4.4 lever would do just fine. I also dis assembled and cleaned the valve body (i HATE doing that!). Hopefully I can just "kit" it and make it work.