Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Too much smoke with Smarty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much smoke with Smarty?

I'm thinking about getting a Smarty and with all the hoopla surrounding them it's easy to get swept up in the frenzy! But what I really am concerned about is unwanted smoke. WIth my Comp and DD-3's I can either roll the smoke on call with box on 5x5, or turn it down and drive around smoke free. With the heavy low end fueling of the Smarty it seems as though it's going to be hard to not smoke off idle. That to me would get old real quick. Is it possible to control the smoke when running a Smarty? I'd like to hear from some of you users that have bigger aftermarket injectors and a Smarty.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:17 AM

I have no off idle smoke. I can drive my truck completely smoke free. With that said, the higher levels on the smarty do make it difficult to roll into the throttle without leaving a cloud behind. Even with the lower levels going to 1/2 throttle will blow a cloud out if I don't roll into it. Day #1 testing with sw3 did still leave a few unintended clouds behind, but I'm running sw1 fuel saver right now to help save my clutch and I'm almost completely smoke free except for a few intentional clouds =P
Old 02-25-2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will learn to drive differently with the Smarty/catcher. You need to drive it easier too. It will deliver the fuel quicker, but you have learned that you need to push the throttle quite a bit to go when stock timing is used, that is cured with the Smarty.
Of course, it will smoke more if you stab the throttle.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:22 AM

There are plenty of settings on the Smarty to keep smoke down. On fuel saver mode, I could not smoke at all. On the lower Catcher settings I can lay a big cloud if I have to gun it fast. I have never tried the 1/2 power lowest setting, but Marco says it will not smoke at all. Smarty will control smoke as good as a Comp.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:08 AM

I have DD3's and my truck is Smartified(SW#9). Smoke is controlled by the position and application of the go fast pedal. When mashing the pedal the coal certainly rolls but the truck can be driven smoke free after learning how to drive with the new found low end fueling.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 AM

If I'm going to have to "walk on eggshells" so to speak when I leave every stop sign, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it very much. The whole point of me getting a Smarty was to help with the awful torque management in the lower gears. But if smoke is a trade off then I might as well just crank up the comp to 5 to get better low end and live with clouds of smoke. Does this make sense?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 PM

Nope!
Turning the Comp off around town and using the Smarty timing to ad in smoke control makes better sense.
This time of yr, with Smarty on #7 and Mach 4's... smoke is not an issue (with TST off or on low setting)!

No point in trying to second guess. If you have doubts...wait for one to show up in your area and try it! Otherwise... just do it! You won't be sorry.

RJ
Old 02-25-2006, 01:10 PM

Ever drove a 12v?? From what I understand, that's how the Smarty feels! You'll just have to re-learn how far the pedal goes before you start rolling the coal!

The 24v's (w/Comps) I have drove feel like they have switches in the pedals...my 12v is smooth and responsive to how far you push the pedal! You can even put out the fire if you roll in too far...and black out intersections

I'd say you really need to feel a Smarty...but that would make me a hypocrit
Chris
Old 02-25-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Ever drove a 12v?? From what I understand, that's how the Smarty feels! You'll just have to re-learn how far the pedal goes before you start rolling the coal!
I haven't rode in a 12ver, but with the smarty your right foot falls to the floor at the same rate as the tach rises to redline in order to avoid smoke. I hope that made sense. I've got big injectors and a fairly large turbo so it might be worse for me than others.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CTD_Neil
I'm thinking about getting a Smarty and with all the hoopla surrounding them it's easy to get swept up in the frenzy! But what I really am concerned about is unwanted smoke. WIth my Comp and DD-3's I can either roll the smoke on call with box on 5x5, or turn it down and drive around smoke free. With the heavy low end fueling of the Smarty it seems as though it's going to be hard to not smoke off idle. That to me would get old real quick. Is it possible to control the smoke when running a Smarty? I'd like to hear from some of you users that have bigger aftermarket injectors and a Smarty.
It takes a little getting used to, but I can drive my truck with Smarty and 150hp injectors with NO SMOKE. Now, it's there if I intentionally try to make it, but no unwanted smoke.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 PM

HOHN, how slow do you have to take off from a light to keep it from smoking?
Old 02-27-2006, 10:02 AM

Anybody else have info on smoke with a Smarty? Thanks
Old 02-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

If you don't mat the go pedal at every light you should have absolutely no problem with the Smarty. I can take off from a light fairly quickly with zero to a light haze. I don't have a fueling box so I run around on #7 90% of the time.