Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Too Much Bass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio Systems

Originally Posted by BigBlue
I'm running 2 800w RMS 12's with a 1500 watt mono block amp under my backseat. I've got a quad cab though. Don't know how you'd live with that in a standard cab. That right there is enough to vibrate your chest.
hey blue how do you have that set up fitted in your truck did you take out the back seat? or do you have a box? what brand you have?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 AM

IIf you tune the system right nothing will be over powering. I ran 4 15" with 4800 watts be hind them in a festiva, for comp. with the subs turned down and a 1000 watts to the front speakers it would sound great, kind of like a moving concert. but that got old, now i only have a 10" with 160 watts a nd 200 watts going to my front speakers. sounds great, spent a lot of time tuning it to sound good.

as for hearing EHAT DID YOU SAY????
Old 01-13-2007, 04:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by drolex
If you want to keep your hearing, then never be around subs. The stuff in your ears tear with loud bass and it doesn't heal or repair itself.
The human ear is relatively deaf to bass frequencies. You are far more likely to feel them than to hear them. Google "fletcher-munson curve" for more info.

The airspace in a truck cab is small enough to where a modern 10" sub is MORE than adequate. The bad old days of car audio where you needed mega big subs with huge amps to get decent bass are thankfully gone.

Heck, a single 10w6 JL audio sub with 150W rms or so will be PLENTY at any sustainable listening level.

It's also adisable to reduce background noise rather than try to just overcome it with brute power. Try some Lizard Skin or Dyna-mat type stuff. Unless you do some sound damping, building hi-fidelity in a CTD is almost pointless.

jmo
Old 01-13-2007, 05:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you want to keep your hearing, then never be around subs. The stuff in your ears tear with loud bass and it doesn't heal or repair itself.
What did he say?

Old 01-13-2007, 01:17 PM

its been proven that bass is not what damages your hearing, its the high frequencies that damage the little hairs in the inner ear and cause hearing loss.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by mysterync
just a thought, how are you going to fit two 15 jls in a regular cab? I had two jl 12's with 1200 watts a peice and couldnt keep the rear view mirror in one place?
Don't forget he's got an eight foot bed too,.........could you imagine??!?
Old 01-13-2007, 02:00 PM

JL w0's are pretty good but have yall actually heard w7's??? they freakin crazy. one 12 inch w7 weighs 50lbs. they put out so much bass its unreal for one 12.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:08 PM

w7's are crazy subs. I have one 12w3 in a custom built box, stnd cab truck, powered by an MTX6500D w/ 1 Fa cap. Eclipse headunit. I can't tell how many hours i spent adjusting the dials but it sounds very well balanced with the stock infinity speakers now. But at the same time, it'll rattle the inside of a UDF if your buddy finds a good song while you're inside!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:59 PM

I'm running 2 Sony Xplod 1200 10's with a 1500 Class D Mono. Never had it turned all the way up all the dang mirrors start pointing to the ground inside and out!!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet830
JL w0's are pretty good but have yall actually heard w7's??? they freakin crazy. one 12 inch w7 weighs 50lbs. they put out so much bass its unreal for one 12.
You're not going to put a w7 in a reg cab truck. They are almost as deep as they are wide.

If you CAN find space for one, a single 8 is WAY overkill with a w7. Perfect
Old 01-14-2007, 11:11 AM

Hey guys,theres a Volume ****/button on that radio ain't there?
Just cause you have all don't mean you have to use it (Quote from my wife)
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by HOHN
You're not going to put a w7 in a reg cab truck. They are almost as deep as they are wide.

If you CAN find space for one, a single 8 is WAY overkill with a w7. Perfect

the best setup for a quad cab pickup is the underseat box from JL audio. I have heard it, and it will thump for the room it has! With no space behind the rear seat, you really are limited. BTW, my megacab has 3 12w4s and with the correct crossover points and sub gain, all types of music sound great! Like baby bro said, save the money on good quality mids/highs and crossovers instead of tons of subs...i say that and then have this....

Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Hohn2
the best setup for a quad cab pickup is the underseat box from JL audio. I have heard it, and it will thump for the room it has! With no space behind the rear seat, you really are limited. BTW, my megacab has 3 12w4s and with the correct crossover points and sub gain, all types of music sound great! Like baby bro said, save the money on good quality mids/highs and crossovers instead of tons of subs...i say that and then have this....

Thats is one clean set up! I like!! I have a 12" Kicker Solo Baric with a 700W Power Acoustic amp and it sounds great. I can turn it down and get a nice soft clear bass out of it or I can go all out with it and make the rear glass flex if I want!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM

I think I'm gonna be pulling one of my Kicker's out of the current box and taking some measurements today. I'm hoping that if I mount them low enough and at the right angle I can get them to fit without too much trouble. If I do end up putting them in the truck I'll prolly spend about a week tuning them to be balanced with the rest of the system. I just wish I had the money to do the door speakers first but I've got the subs sitting here and I miss my stereo...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:15 PM

My old Ford 150 Reg Cab had 2 10" Rockford's, 6.5 Components in the fnt, 2 6.5 3 ways in the rear mounted to the sub box, and 2 tweeters mounted behind the head. The satellites were ran by a 20W x 4 Blau amp and the subs were 75w x 2. It was PLENTY and sounded GREAT! AND it did get loud! I was not looking for the "thump thump", but for more quality in sound......on a limited budget......God Bless Best Buy's open box sales! haha.....

Stereo is still in the thing too! haha....gonig to swap it one day to my Dodge since its more of a trail rig now......

Quick Reply: Too Much Bass?