Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Too much air

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much air

I let my friend who is a mechanic drive my truck because we have the same truck mods except he has the stock turbo. He said my temps rose faster because I have too much air goin in. (already checked for boost leak) My question is how do I add enough fuel to fix it and still keep it towable? Do I need injectors or dileveryvalves? Any help is appreciated

Adam
Old 07-12-2005, 08:11 AM

I was under the impression that diesels used what air the needed, based on the fuel they injest, and thus no throttle body. Didnt know there was s such a thing as too much air....????
Although you can lug your motor to make it smoke because it has to much fuel, and not enough air...
Old 07-12-2005, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed! Almost impossible to have too much air....at least as far as combustion is concerned.

I'm not real knowledgeable on 1st Gen trucks...but believe I have read elsewhere that no plate can cause your problems? I'm sure experts will chime in.
RJ
Old 07-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

It's darn near impossible to have to much air on a diesel. To little air wold cause high egt's but to not much. If that were the case then everyone running an aftermarket intake on a completely stock truck would experience a rise in EGT's instead of a drop.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm....I take it he isn't a diesedl mechanic!! More fuel = more egt. You need more boost to cool the combustion down and to more thoroughly burn the fuel. It is, however, possible to overboost a turbo (overspeeding) which causes super-heated charge air and excessive drive pressures - this can also cause an egt rise. With your 14cm HX35, you should be able to efficiently boost to 38 - 40 psi - but no more. As RJ mentioned, running plateless makes for a much less than desirable tow vehicle as it makes it VERY difficult to control egt's. Keep your DV's - you already have 181's in the stock 215 pump and grind your own #100 plate or if don't want to grind your own, buy a #10, but the effort is quite worth it to grind the #100 (more top end). As for injectors, the most readily available are 370's but they won't do a darn thing to cool egt's down - they will do the opposite!! - but they will put one of these on your face as they will introduce a lot more fuel to the motor.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:05 AM

He was thinking that I dont have enough fuel to spool the turbo? He is wanting to do my timing and maybe bumop my pump up 20 hp or so. Does this sound right?
Old 07-12-2005, 09:27 AM

do you put out black smoke off the bottom? do you have a boost gauge? stock fueling should be able to handle your turbo no problem.

Trending Topics

Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Timing YES!! Put a plate in YES!! You have more than enough fuel to spool the turbo!

The only way you can have too much air in a diesel is when the turbo is moving more air than the engine can take, and it surges (the air flows backwards through the compressor). This is what I'm fighting now towing with my B1 at lower RPM (1500-1750).

This shouldn't be what you're fighting with that hybrid...is your friend running with no plate, too??

HTH,
Chris
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM

He has the plate ground down and all the way forward. My problem is that the temps rise higher and faster than with the stock 35. What would cause that? I thought a bigger turbo would lower temps.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:31 AM

What kind of boost pressures are you seeing??
Normally when you add a bigger turbo, or a bigger exhaust housing, you will see some increase in EGT's when you are just cruising.. basically no load... when you start spooling up the turbo, that's when you seen the benifits of the bigger housing or turbo... but you should not have any problems with a 14cm housing...
Bryan
Old 07-12-2005, 11:45 AM

How much boost are you running? If you overboost then, yes, your EGT's will actually rise due to superheating the air. I found my set up likes about 44 psi. Also running plateless will dump a lot of fuel in preboost and possibly may cause an EGT problem. Which brings another question... How hot is hot?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:52 AM

I can hit 42 lbs of boost. Temps climb to 1200 pretty quick.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:01 PM

if your hitting that much boost you have too much fuel for the turbo. You need a bigger turbo! your just getting out of the map of the turbo. 1200 pre turbo is ok for a little while, does it climb higher or just settle down there?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1200?!?! That is on the cool side for running plateless at WOT.....preturbo probe, right? Considering 1350 is your max sustainable temp and brief spikes past that are fine, it doesn't sound out of control. My 94 will peg the pyro BRIEFLY when running the 1/4 mile and runs fine.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:03 PM

1200 after. With the stock 35 it would only go to 950. I checked for boost leaks tho and didnt find one. So now what? I guess I need to read more on here haha

Quick Reply: Too much air