Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Toneau Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Toneau Covers?

I am looking at toneau covers for my company truck and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. I want the cover to store luggage in the back when not not pulling our gooseneck enclosed trailer. Price is not really a fractor just that it must be the most water tight and easy to remove or roll up. Thanks for any suggestions.
Andy
Old 01-12-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like my snap down tunnau.. it is very easy to deal with and i have had it for nearly 3 years without a problem... haha... once a year after i chnage my oil i lay the cover out in the grass and i pour the old oil on it and spread it over the vinyl.... This seems to keep it from faiding and turning brittle on me.. after i let the sun bake the oil into it i spray it off with dish washer liquid.. the vinyl keeps water running into beads most of the year from the left over oily residue.. but its not a residue that hgets on you......

PS>>>>Ill post a picture once i get some batteried with my camera...
Old 01-13-2006, 12:31 AM

undercover

If you are lookin for a cover for a short bed these look like they would be a good deal. Light weight easy on easy off. When not on the truck you can hang it on the wall. The biggest downfall is they only make them in short bed length.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:57 AM

Yeah I looked at the Undercover. That's what I wanted but the truck is a long bed. I even sent a email to Undercover asking if they had plans to build one for a long bed. They told me that to change the tooling and the extra shipping cost was not worth the number of long beds they would sell per year. So now I am back to looking.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Andy
Old 01-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Buy one for a shortbed, and buy a nice alluminum crossover toolbox and you will be alright, thats how I use mine, I kept the snap up cover from my old shortbox, and I run a toolbox anyhow, it was just right~, now I have to shorten it abit or leave it off with the stacks on!.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:56 PM

I've got one of these...

http://www.truxedo.com/lopro/truxedo-lopro.html

I like the Velcro and it's easy for one person to roll up and unroll.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:10 PM

That's the the one I am looking at the most. How is it on water? Driving in heavy rain and being parked in the rain?

Thanks
Andy
Old 01-13-2006, 02:11 PM

Theres a couple I've been looking at that becouse they provide some secuity , a metal slat roll up and some like the cavas but have metal slats sewn in them , I like the ease of still using the bed for a load of dirt what ever and just roll up ,but I drive around with tools in the bed a lot so I want the security also .
Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 PM

I just put a Lorado cover on mine. Its like the Truxedo posted up a bit. Vinyl cover with the slats going across every 18 or 24" or so. Can't open it unless you open the tailgate first, so there is some security with it. When rolled up, it sits on the front of the box, so you have a full 8' instead of loosing 8 or 10". My family has had it on two other trucks, and never a problem with water getting in it. Our oldest one had the velcro seperate from the frame, but the one I bought is a different design, so I wasn't too terribly concerned. That and the place we bought from will stand behind the products.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:42 PM

I have an Extang RT and I liked it in the beginning but the velcro gave up and it no longer seals. When new it sealed pretty well and I only got a little water along the edge of the bed. When I first had a problem, a year after I purchased it, I called Extang and they sent me a new soft cover saying they had a problem with the velcro on some shipments. However the cover never sealed properly again and now won't seal at all. I think the hook part of the velcro on the rails is bad. If I had it to do over I would pay the extra money and get a retractable cover.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 PM

I have an extang fulltilt (summit racing part# EXG-8575) and love it.
You can roll it up and remove bows in 30 sec. or you can lift it up, pop the struts off and the whole cover is off, bows and all in 30sec. or less.
I use the bed alot and its never been in the way or a pain to get out of the way.
Mooseman
Old 01-13-2006, 09:51 PM

Soft tonneau cover offer as much security as a convertible. Friend of mine wisely told me the best rule is never lock a convertible.

I run an Access toolbox edition. The toolbox locks and holds the valuables that don't belong in the cab. Soft goods we haul in the bed get moved to the cab if we park.

Biggest trick to control water is to cover the stake bed pockets.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:21 AM

I have a PaceEdwards Roll-Top tonneau, not exactly cheap but it is nice. Only bad thing about it is the space that is lost where the canister rolls up. It channels the water into the canister which has drain hoses that go into the (tiedown) holes in the bed.