Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Which tires have you guys had the best luck with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got a set of buck shot maxxis mudders and ive put 20000 miles on them and they still have over half tread left. plus i live off of 5 miles of dirt road
Old 11-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Banned

thanks for all the input guys. I think it is a tossup between the bfg m/t's and the toyo m/t
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.Ram
thanks for all the input guys. I think it is a tossup between the bfg m/t's and the toyo m/t
If you get either of these tires, spend $80 and get a tire siper/groover off ebay, put 3 or 4 sipes a 1/4 deep in each tread block. You'll get 10% to 30% more tread life, with less road noise.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
It's difficult to make a good recommendation because people have such different priorities in tire performance. Some want traction above all, others mpg. Noise, ride, treadwear, all vary so much and tires are a huge compromise.
Excellent post.

My only add is personal experience.

I do not like to run a tire more than 3-4 years. The tread compound hardens with age. A long mileage tire such as Michelin have marginal traction performance when new and get worse with age.

Siping usually does NOT enhance tread life. Many shops over sipe the tires which causes the tread block to loose stability and wear faster.

A highway tire is a highway tire. an offroad tire is an offroad tire. If you want both, buy 2 sets of tires. Don't expect 1 brand & style of tire to do everything.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fueling around
I do not like to run a tire more than 3-4 years. The tread compound hardens with age. A long mileage tire such as Michelin have marginal traction performance when new and get worse with age.
Your thread raises some good points! I would disagree with your Michelin comment. I don't know how they do it...but in my expieience, they are the only "mileage tire" that does not sacrifice traction (through harder rubber) for mileage. JMO.

Good point, about exposure to elements over a few years, especially in the sun belt! Seem like there are (mostly) two kinds of CTD owners....those of us that do 35,000-50,000 miles, and more, a yr., and never have to worry about this point; and the others who do less than 15,000 a yr. and need to consider exposure deterioration carefully!

RJ
Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by low c1500
If you get either of these tires, spend $80 and get a tire siper/groover off ebay, put 3 or 4 sipes a 1/4 deep in each tread block. You'll get 10% to 30% more tread life, with less road noise.

most truck centers will have a sipeing machine thats does a way better job than doing it your self, costs about $10 pr tire I think. About doubles your traction in wet weather and icy conditions. I do it to all my tires.

I run the TOYO M/T on two differant rigs.
The Dodge in the sig and on my 90 Jeep XJ.
I love em. They can get a bit noisy but they are a mud tire.

Dan
Old 11-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fueling around
A long mileage tire such as Michelin have marginal traction performance when new and get worse with age.

Siping usually does NOT enhance tread life. Many shops over sipe the tires which causes the tread block to loose stability and wear faster.

A highway tire is a highway tire. an offroad tire is an offroad tire. If you want both, buy 2 sets of tires. Don't expect 1 brand & style of tire to do everything.
I agree completely. I have never had an all-season Michelin that performed adequately in a Denver winter, but they always had high milage. I use the BFG Commercial for much less money, same milage, same winter performance. I can usually avoid driving my 2WD in marginal conditions, if not I drive carefully and carry chains, which perform better than 4WD. Getting stuck is no fun, been there done that with a variety of vehicles. Now I respect the limitations of vehicle and terrain.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have found the best compromise to be the Michelin LTX A/T. Long wearing, smooth and quiet, more agressive than an all-season and still reasonable in snow and ice.

I just purchased a set of Toyo Open Country M/T. One of the very few mud terrain tires that comes in both a 265 and 285 as a load range E. I haven't got enough miles to comment on them, but a rancher aquaintance likes his in the mud and on the highway.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys

60K outta BFG Load Range D, all terrain KO tires, last set, Currently on Liberator (wally world budget) SURPISINGLY WELL..... :-o!!! 15K miles, two rotations later, and are still wearing very well.....

Tx
Old 11-11-2005, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Your thread raises some good points! I would disagree with your Michelin comment. I don't know how they do it...but in my expieience, they are the only "mileage tire" that does not sacrifice traction (through harder rubber) for mileage. JMO.
I left out a few words on my experience with many sets of Michelin.
A long mileage tire such as Michelin have very good rain traction, but marginal winter (snow/ice) traction performance when new and get worse with age.
I tend to view traction as an all year all season thing.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 PM

I agree with the 3-4 yrs on tires in the sun belt.

My OEM Mitchelins lasted 50k and that was about 3 yrs, I have just over 80k on the truck now, they were weather cracking in the tread area and two had tread separation ( both on rear wheels luckily ).

I'm looking for 255/85s for my rears but all I can find are BFG M/Ts in that size, anybody know of another make
Old 11-13-2005, 02:22 AM

I HIGHLY recommend the Jetzon Trailcutter R/T 315/75 R16. They're a bit hard to find, but they've been an EXCELLENT tire for me and they're very affordable ($155 per tire). The tread looks awesome, the tires are pretty quiet, and they hold up to wear incredibly well. If you're interested in buying some, I can get you Jetzon's number so you can locate a dealer in your area. Tires this big will have to be ordered.

Old 11-13-2005, 02:46 AM

[QUOTE=AggiePhil]I HIGHLY recommend the Jetzon Trailcutter R/T 315/75 R16. They're a bit hard to find, but they've been an EXCELLENT tire for me and they're very affordable ($155 per tire). The tread looks awesome, the tires are pretty quiet, and they hold up to wear incredibly well. If you're interested in buying some, I can get you Jetzon's number so you can locate a dealer in your area. Tires this big will have to be ordered.

yeah you got that number
Old 11-13-2005, 02:55 AM

Jetzon is actually owned by Treadways. Just take a look at their catalog by going to the link below (shows all the sizes and whatnot of each tire), then call them up and get the names of several dealers in your area. Like I said, I got the Trailcutter R/T. They can order whatever size/model you want.

The only thing I'd add is that at least some of their listed revs/mile are incorrect and should not be used for resetting the truck's computer to allot for a changed tire size. Use one of the online calculators instead.

The catalog: http://www.jetzontire.com/models.asp

Treadways Corporation
(800) 895-1449
Old 11-13-2005, 01:31 PM

I know you already shot down Nitto, But what type were they? I have the Terra Grapplers and out here they have held up really well, and I go play around in the sand a lot, the tread has stayed good and I still have my traction, and they grip WAY better than my BFG Bajas, I could take a turn with those and floor the truck and they would break lose, while the Nittos stick to the ground. but overall it is your preference I suppose. The BFGs were really nice. And only about 200 a tire out here. I got the nittos for 150 a tire, and with warranty and mounted came out to be around 800 or so...I like them though. Its all in your preference!

Quick Reply: Which tires have you guys had the best luck with?