Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tips on tuning AFC and fuel plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tips on tuning AFC and fuel plate?

I just installed a phat shaft 62/12 and some DDP2's. The metal line from the stock turbo to the AFC is gone now as well as the boost elbow I had on there previously. Seems like a I make a LOT of smoke now.
I found a writeup on AFC tuning and I started with moving the AFC back about halfway. I had hard starts, poor low end power and still had the smoke. its now about 1/4 back and its got power but seems like a lot of smoke still. My fuel economy is worse than before I added the turbo and injectors. Exhaust smells very rich.
How do you guys tune the plate position and do you think its worthwhile going back to a #6 from my #100 to lower the smoke?
Im trying to figure out too how the governor arm acts with the plate. Is the bottom contact point on the plate low rpm's and as speed rises the gov arm would rise higher on the plate?
Old 05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have the plate travel right, bottom to top through the RPM band.

Another adjustment that many miss is the zero boost setting on the back of the AFC. By setting this you can limit the low end fueling at zero boost for starts, and general get-going. Setting the AFC spring and zero boost will fix most smoking issues as opposed to adjusting the plate etc.

Just on what I have read from your sig, the AFC zero boost screw should be backed out per the TST instructions on the AFC spring kit. You would want the AFC to be just touching the screw. Then from there I would jack up the spring pressure a good 5-10 clicks and see where that puts you. Maybe even like 20 and back it down from there. The DV's and injectors are going to fuel well enough without any help from the AFC advancing early. Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aka star wheel adjustment under the allen plug on the afc housing. you want to turn the top of the wheel (the part you can see) away from the engine or towards you to tighten the spring pressure.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah the diaphragm adjustment in the back is just touching, per the TST instructions.
Ill try setting the star wheel back a bit and see what that gets me.
Just before it starts to really pull im seeing a lot of smoke and its hard to tell if its pre-boost, or the first part of the ramp on the cam plate. Maybe I need to re-install the #6 with the limit on low end fuel.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have your AFC adjusted, you shouldn't be touching the plate when you have low or no boost.

With the turbo you have, you might want to go to a stiffer spring in the AFC. My pump came with a lighter spring in it, and once the boost comes in, it just dumps the fuel way to quick and pumps out the smoke. I've got it where its just a haze at no boost with the pedal down, but once boost comes in, its too much. Thats my next step.