Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tips for keeping IC boots on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tips for keeping IC boots on?

I got the PDR upgraded IC boots with nice clamps, they've been good for a long time, but at the track last time one blew off, put it back on, and now it whistles really funny at 10psi and won't go higher, so I'm guessing it's loose again. It's the cold side boot, right off the IC. Kind of hard to get at one side of it, it's against the frame.

So with all the experience here, someone's got to have some tips or tricks to get the boots on all the way and keep them there.....Thanks!
Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There may be other ways but , much like other racing , tires / wheel have screws going through the rim into the bead .
You could put at least 3 screws or rivets on each end .
Also not sure about what you have , but shouldn't there be a formed bead on the metal tubing , that would keep the hose with the tightened clamp from coming off ? If not that is something you could do , take 1/8 " wire , rap around the metal tube , solder or weld it on , so that the clamp hose can not slip off .
Old 04-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hair spray. Spray end of tube where you slide boot over. It makes is slippery and easy to install, but tries and makes it kinda tacky. Harder to slip off.

Could try a little rubber cement, not the industrial Contact cement. Coat tube, let dry. coat boot, while it is wet, install. clamp and let dry.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roughstock
Hair spray. Spray end of tube where you slide boot over. It makes is slippery and easy to install, but tries and makes it kinda tacky. Harder to slip off.

Could try a little rubber cement, not the industrial Contact cement. Coat tube, let dry. coat boot, while it is wet, install. clamp and let dry.
That's exactly the kind of trick I was looking for...there is a lip to help hold it on, but this boot is in a weird spot and really hard to get on all the way. I'll give it a try!