Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

tinkering will get ya every time (gov springs)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tinkering will get ya every time (gov springs)

Ok, so i read somewhere on here you can put washers on your gov springs. Didnt say what size or exactly where so i started tinkerin!! lol I put em in and my idle went from around 800 to 1300. truck seemed to drive very different. So i took em back out and the idle is still 1300. what about the little head screws that hold the spring plates in place? do they need to be at a specific amount of turns? Any help would be great. I also have a miss problem, started out losing power, changed fuel filter, cleaned pre filter (very very clogged) and it still misses on idle and start up is rough. I cracked the injector lines on all cylinders and the idle dropped on all but the last one. Bad injector tip? I have a brand new set of injectors at work but they are for a industrial Ottwa yard truck. dont know much about injectors but they say 240 on them. Any one know about that? thanks in advance guys!!!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 08:47 PM

You should have used a caliper to measure the stud protusion before you ever removed the keepers. Now I would say they should be .050 - .060 somewhere in that range. As for the Governor Washer thing, you need to use a 3/8 washer and drill it out to 1/2 in hole. the outside of the washer can not be bigger than 1 in,, a lil smaller is better,, then you turn the keepers down to about .040 and it will run great.. you will for sure have to adjust the idle on it as it will change. Below is a good link to read about it,,, only in the link you replace springs instead of using washers. Either the washers or the spring kit really wakes up our trucks, as instead of starting to defuel at 2300,,,you should now fuel hard to 3,000 plus... makes the truck alot more drivable as well

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/more_power/GovSpring.htm
Old 07-21-2006, 09:07 PM

ok thanks for the advice, ill do that in the morning. the other thing was i have a thread in which it shows what the different feul plate profiles look like. My question is, can one really screw things up by grinding the 100 plate? i mean i know i prolly wontget it EXACTLY like the pic shows. but im gonna try.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:33 PM

As long as its close is good,,, but if you have a automatic that is stock, your trans wont like it,, also the stock clutch wont like it either. Get guages first before you do to much to it,, as with a 100 plate, it can get hot fast. Also make sure when you grind the plate you dont get it to hot,, if its to hot to hold in your fingers, its to hot,, keep it cool as you grind it
Old 07-21-2006, 09:36 PM

i have a 5 spd, also i do not pull anything bigger than a car trailer full of dirt bikes or quads, other than that i just drive to work. yes gauges are in the works. again thanks for the advice.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 PM

A 100 plate will slip your stock clutch, even with nothing behind you,,, just have to be careful and not push it to hard is all now
Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 PM

Ok I used the 1/2 inch washers for the gov springs and ground the plate to the best of my knowledge to look like a 100........WOW thats i got to say.But i have a few butter flies to work thru. 1. with the plate forward just past half way, it will try to stay at 2 grand or more when i down shift or rev it in neutral. Kinda weird, maybe you guys have exp with that. 2. I need new tires!!!!!! lol.

Thanks to every one that talked me thru this up grade. (outlawstorm) being the only one that replied lol.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mx261
Ok I used the 1/2 inch washers for the gov springs and ground the plate to the best of my knowledge to look like a 100........WOW thats i got to say.But i have a few butter flies to work thru. 1. with the plate forward just past half way, it will try to stay at 2 grand or more when i down shift or rev it in neutral. Kinda weird, maybe you guys have exp with that. 2. I need new tires!!!!!! lol.

Thanks to every one that talked me thru this up grade. (outlawstorm) being the only one that replied lol.
I hope you meant 3/8 in washer drilled out to a 1/2 inch hole? as a 1/2 in washer if bigger than 1 in outside will hang up on the outside spring which is your idle springand can cause the hangup at 2,000 Washers HAVE to be no more than 1.000 inch , or less is better and also the thickness can have differnt effects as well. The ones i used were a 7/16 in washer drilled out to 1/2 in and the thickness was .070 My 7/16 in washer had an outside measurement of .091 so they worked perfectly.

Yes this extra rpm sure wakes up these trucks lol
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM

no actually i read last night in another post that the 1/2 washer works perfect. I did take out the big spring and check to see if it would work, looked like it would, but i could be wrong, maybe thats why its hanging up at 2000 rpm. have tomorrow off, ill pull it out again and see. thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:24 PM

from all i have read and seen and even the 4 i have done, a 1/2 washer was always to big, when you take it out look for any rub marks on the sides of the washers, i am betting its to big,, use a calipers to measure it under 1.00 works the best, as that big outter spring is the idle spring, so if it binds anyplace it will hang up your idle,, those springs seem to move around a wee bit in there, so if the washer is close it may hang up easily. Just something to look at when you pull it apart,, Remember to set the stud protusion to about .040 ,, that seems to work the best,, 2 tight and you will lose higer rpm range. When i did the ones i did here, all would easily pull to 3100-3200 on the road, and would free rev to 3600 in neutral
Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM

see this is cool cuz as i am tinkerin with it, im also getting your exp in teir too. So i am learning what to look for and why. It hangs up on idle (too tight or washers too big) and it also doesnt rev passed 3 or so in neutral. so that may be an indication that the retainers are too tight. Dude, i owe ya a beer!!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mx261
see this is cool cuz as i am tinkerin with it, im also getting your exp in teir too. So i am learning what to look for and why. It hangs up on idle (too tight or washers too big) and it also doesnt rev passed 3 or so in neutral. so that may be an indication that the retainers are too tight. Dude, i owe ya a beer!!!!
You owe me nothing,,,i am just passing on what i have learned from doing this stuff,, they say you learn by your mistakes,, if thats all true, dam i must be smart..lol
wish that i was that smart,,tho,, just the average guy learning as i go
Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 PM

1 thing i never mentioned,,, when you tighten the retainers or loosen then you can feel them click,,, ALWAYS make sure you go you dont stop on the top,,make sure it drops into place at each click,,, this way when a person says tighten them 2 clicks or loosen them 2 clicks you get the right amount
Old 07-23-2006, 10:08 PM

gotcha!!! yeah i noticed that right away.