Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

timing slipped twice HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 08:23 PM

Using a Loctite thread lock product such as blue 242 adds another 15-20% torque meaning wet torque. I wouldn't go past 150 ft-lbs, (period). Thread lock compounds require clearance between the threads to fill and set. That's why you use different colors (formulas) for different sized threads.
I don't think Loctite retaining compound on the shaft is a good idea either. They are not rated for taper shaft applications IIRC.
My old trick on taper shaft is to snug the nut and then use a larger socket that goes around the nut & washer to seat on the pulley or gear. A good rap with a hammer to seat the taper and then go ahead and torque it down.

19.5° timing is getting into the head gasket torture range and may go pretty quick with your fueling level. That is probably good as you definitely want a fresh gasket and studs before adding the twin.

Looser Bill? I've noticed surge or flutter gets worse with low spring tension.

The 215 pump is probably the hardest to find that balance. A cold engine brings out the single reason to NOT add governor springs, surge or flutter.
You have to adjust the tension one click at a time and often times 1 stack at a time.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:02 AM

So, you think tighten the springs one side one click at a time or loosen one click at a time on one side. Once it is warmed up you get hardly any flutter unless you snap the throttle.I know I'm on borrowed time with the head gasket but I'm going to try studs on the old gasket and see if that will hold. I'm really looking for another head to do some porting on and do a o-ring job on. If I can't find one before it blows one of the tractor pullers here has a o-ring cutting tool you tighten down in the in the piston hole and then turn it cutting a groove at whatever depth you want. We tightened the gear as I stated above and it is holding but it has to be alfull hard on the nut threads. My buddy at the shop that helped me said on the John Deere pumps he works on a plate keys to the shaft and then the gear bolts to the plate. This looks like alot better setup than jusst a press fit. I think some of the tractor also have a degreed flywheel where you lock the pump on 0 and then set the motor on the advance you want. Last time I saw them set a John Deere pulling tractor they set it on about 48 degrees. Talk about rattle