Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

timing slipped twice HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing slipped twice HELP!

We put a different p-pump on my truck today and took it out for a ride. As soon as it started making boost the timing slipped. We brought it back to the shop and took the gear loose set the timing again and washed everything down with carb cleaner and torqued it to 120 lb. It did the exact same thing again. What are we doing wrong! Should I warm the gear up so it will go on the gear farther or what. I am lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Gary
Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM

Torque to 166 lbs.

It will slip at 120 lbs.

Also use blue locktite .

: Eddie :
Old 01-24-2005, 06:25 PM

And carb cleaner leaves a residue. Need to use brake clean. Make sure you get the gear and the shaft good with the brake clean. Kevin
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 PM

Yup ... I forgot about carb cleaner residue.

But I use starting fluid.

Get it clean and a buzz at the same time.

But no residue.
If you use the starting fluid make sure of good ventilation and no flames close.

All will be good when you get done.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:50 PM

I will try the higher torque on the nut. With the blue loctite how long does it need to set before you can start it up? I know this is a dumb question but you are talking about locktite on the nut and not between the shaft and gear, rignt? This sight is the best when it comes to needing help. Thanks Gentlemen
Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 PM

Yes on threads but I have done both.
By the time your done putting it back together it will be dry enough.

The higher torque comes from Cummins.
It is the reason some slipped from factory.

: Eddie :
Old 01-24-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't use the Loctite on the shaft, just the threads. Less chance of slippage with metal to metal contact rather than with a film on it. Much more torque between the shaft and gear than any grade of Loctite can hold, in other words gluing it on won't work.
Prefer electronic cleaner for getting the shaft spotless myself.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:20 PM

I think I will try the electric cleaner to, it's suppose to be real clean and dries fast to. I don't know whether starter fuid dries clean or not but it must work if you guys used it. Thanks Gary
Old 01-25-2005, 06:57 AM

i don't use any loctite, just blast it with some brake cleaner and torque it to 175 has been working great for me. i have not had one slip since then.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:20 PM

Well, I must be one of the unluckiest people around, we took it loose washed it down with either and torqued it to 175 lb. It run fine until I nailed it and it slipped again!! I took it completely down just to make sure nothing else was wrong. We couldn't find anything so I called a guy that works on alot of cummins motors. Forrest said to use electric cleaner as either has some upper cylinder lube in it and will still leave a residue. He also said on a pump set to put alot of fuel out to torque the nut to 150 lb. and then tighten it 60 degrees Sounds like alot but it is what he does all the time so it must work. Hopefully it will be running yet today. This did let me fix the dow pin which was sticking out about a 1/8 of a inch. It's amazing how you can take a perfectly good running truck and mess it up for awhile! My wife just can't understand why I won't leave stuff alone.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:52 PM

Tell your wife, that like with anything good and worth while, you need to tweak it a little now and then to make things better. So with your truck, you adjust here and there. With women, you buy flowers, a night out, dinner or just a nice relaxing evening at home spending it with her.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM

Have you gotten a new lockwasher for it?

Mine slipped after I had it timed, so they put a new nut and lockwasher on it and it has been fine since.

Really ticked me off at the time. They had the truck for a month to the day, but only worked on it for two weeks. Never called me and said I could come get it and drive it until they were ready, just let it sit there. Then I go get it and the thing takes a dump on the wayhome because they were too busy to go ahead and put a new nut and washer on it which they would have charged me for anyway.

Needless to say I'll find a new shop when she needs some more service, as I also told them to FIX ALL the oil leaks. I didn't care what they were or what they cost, even if it was the pan gasket. Guess what, it still leaks

Sorry for the rant, hope you get yours figured out,
Chris
Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 PM

Well, just got it back together and so far it's holding. I thought I would let it go threw a couple of heat cycles before I really go to hammering on it. We bumped the timing up to 19.5, man it seems like the higher the timing the better it runs. I think I'm going to put some studs in it before I stack the other turbo on it. The 150 lb of torque and then 60 degree of turn of the breaker bar sure makes your butt pucker but it didn't pull the threads. Thanks for everyones fast responses to help. Thanks Gary
Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 AM

Well it's holding so far, put around 200 miles on it yesterday and this morning. BUT I've got another small problem. I put 4000 gsk in it on the bench and thought I had it set right. On cold idle it gets to surging real bad like it has a big cam. Which way should I go with the springs, tighter or looser? I still haven't got on it, guess I'm just a little chicken after tearing into it three times in two days.
Old 01-26-2005, 11:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Looser a couple clicks at a time. When it's right you most often have to readjust your idle.

Quick Reply: timing slipped twice HELP!