Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Timing box on the 2001 H.O.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing box on the 2001 H.O.

Is the Edge EZ,Comp,Juice or Diablo Power Puck safe on the high output engines (eth).I remember seing a post a while back that the timing boxes on the market were hard on the head gaskets on the eth engines due to the higher compression.I have a buddy with the H.O. that is looking for a safe box to put on his truck.He tows with the truck & would like a little better fuel mileage with added power but he doesnt want an agressive timing box that will increase cylinder pressures to unsafe levels.He already has rv275 injectors installed.I thought about the smarty & running on the non timing programs but that probably wont help his mileage much.Is the timing on the smarty real agressive or could he get away with it.Maybe i should look at the TST box.Whats your thought?

Kurt
Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of mileage is he getting now? Sometimes you're just shooting fish in a barrel with regards to fuel mileage. These trucks will only do but so good and mileage is heavily dependent upon the driver.

It is true that the HO's with their high compression and the more aggressive timing in the HO pump will test head gaskets with the addition of a timing box. I've used both the Smarty and the EZ, the Smarty has less timing than an EZ from my experience.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:17 PM

I disagree with you Mike.
I just sold my 2001 HO 6 speed with 277,000 miles running very strong. When I bought it at 205,000 it was a stock truck, approx 17/18mpg I installed a BHAF and an EZ and I've got little over 2mpg extra, then added Bosch 300hp (same as Rv275) and gained almost another 2 mpg
When I sold it it was happily doing 21mpg/24mpg hand calculated depending on heavy foot or not, approx 650 miles with a 30gal tank with heavier foot (70/75mph interstate)
4mpg gain over stock is a lot.

My considerations:

-switched from VanAaken to EZ and picked up 2mpg, I was surprised.
-the injector's mpg gain probably was due to the fact they were new ones instead of 205,000 miles old

I was also towing my 30ft flatbed and other miscellaneous trailers, mileage gained approx 2mpg every time.

I think the combo Rv275 and EZ is exceptional for whoever wants to tow in safety, not blowing a clutch, getting great mileage, and still have a fun truck.

I am sure anything above this will not hurt your gasket since your clutch will MAKE you lift the pedal, it will slip especially if towing
Old 12-10-2007, 03:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ran many differant timing box's on mine for as long as I owned it. I never had a problem.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Ben

Originally Posted by Mike D
I've used both the Smarty and the EZ, the Smarty has less timing than an EZ from my experience.
I agree with this also from my experiences. The truck doesn't have the timing hammer no where near as bad with the smarty as it did the EZ.

I also was running rv275's with the smarty. A great towing combo on the 6 speed. EGT's were never really a problem even with 10k skid steer behind me. Mind you this is in MN not the mountains.

The smarty let me run out the shifts a much better than the EZ, which fell flat on its face after 2300. Alot of the roads around here are 55mph, which for me is pulling in 5th. You need to pass someone, it's there. No questions.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valv, That's what's great about this site, everyone has their opinion. I don't know why you sold your truck, getting that kind of mileage would have made it a keeper for me.

I tend to look at the our trucks with a broad view. Most of the trucks running the 275s and a EZ will max out at 20-21 mpg, so that's where my comment came from... Some head gaskets hold better than others, with the added timing of the EZ my belief is the head gasket will be stressed and the you'll see increased cylinder temps.

My guess, for every guy you find getting 24 mpg, you'll find another guy puking coolant on the side of the highway with the number 6 piston melted.

My advice to anyone, read as much as you can, talk to actual users of the product you want to run to make the best informed decision you can..
Old 12-10-2007, 12:25 PM
C2O
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike D
Valv, That's what's great about this site, everyone has their opinion. I don't know why you sold your truck, getting that kind of mileage would have made it a keeper for me.

I tend to look at the our trucks with a broad view. Most of the trucks running the 275s and a EZ will max out at 20-21 mpg, so that's where my comment came from... Some head gaskets hold better than others, with the added timing of the EZ my belief is the head gasket will be stressed and the you'll see increased cylinder temps.

My guess, for every guy you find getting 24 mpg, you'll find another guy puking coolant on the side of the highway with the number 6 piston melted.

My advice to anyone, read as much as you can, talk to actual users of the product you want to run to make the best informed decision you can..
couldnt have said it better than that

Trending Topics

Old 12-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Mike, I agree with you on this one....

I am at my 5th CTD, the previous I had to sell since was a 2wd, here in MN there's not much chance to drive without 4x4, and I live in the country.

Note, that truck was the one with the highest mileage I've ever had, but had original VP and IP , the tightest front end, great mpg, awesome shifting and powerband, best running truck I've ever had. I still think I should have made a 4x4 from it.

The one I have now is a 5speed and I am getting the standard 17mpg/18mpg as usual, I only have the EZ and I will get Rv275 soon, but I don't believe it will reach the previous truck standard.

I am getting ready to maybe sell this one and get another, maybe 3rd gen, we'll see next month or 2.