Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Time for studs

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for studs

I'm looking at head studs in the near future, so me gots a question.
I have noticed that the ARP studs are used often, however PDR has some Haisley studs. Is there a difference between the sets or are they basically the same.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:03 AM

Haisley studs are manufactured by A1 Technologies.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Basically the same. You can get as much ... difference of opinion on A1 versus ARP as a good tranny war.
I needed studs when only the A1 was on the market. Never gave them a second thought on waiting for ARP.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned

i would go with anyone other than ARP. I broke two of them during the torque sequence when I installed mine. I have the pics somewhere but haven't posted them yet. Doug at PDW was awesome while all this was going on and got me another one no charge except for the overnight freight. The second one that broke got replaced with a stock head bolt and torqued the same. I don't have much faith in ARP anymore. I would make sure you do the install by the book and then re-torque the head when it's hot.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the replies.

Kipo that sucks, what was the reason the studs broke, and did you have to pull the head to remove or did you improvise?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:43 PM

There are a lot of people that have had no problems at all including myself with arp studs.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Banned

I agree for the most part that people haven't had any problems with ARP. But, the reasons mine broke are still a mystery. Doug at PDW and Micheal at Hot Rod Diesel think it was just a bad batch. Doug did some research and found out several people had the same problem over the last six months. Whatever it was I'll end up buying another set when I get around to rebuilding my motor which really sucks. I'll end up buying another brand for sure and go bigger to be on the safe side. The first one that broke broke at the threads in the block. Since they were tightened then backed out, it came out pretty easy. The second one broke the threads on the cap. They just rolled over and wouldn't tighten anymore. I took the whole stud out and installed a stock bolt.

Good luck whatever decision you make, and make sure you buy plenty of moly lube.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fueling around
Basically the same. You can get as much ... difference of opinion on A1 versus ARP as a good tranny war.
Is the metalurgy the same? I'm confused after reading all the threads on ARP being stronger (tensil strength). Or are Haisleys (A-1's) different from what was being compared to ARP's over the last yr or so?

RJ
Old 06-14-2006, 01:06 PM

Kipo, what a pain. I think I would have the same feelings as you torwards arp if that happend to me. I think I got one of the first batches and have been fine for numerous retorques.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Is the metalurgy the same? I'm confused after reading all the threads on ARP being stronger (tensil strength). Or are Haisleys (A-1's) different from what was being compared to ARP's over the last yr or so?

RJ
Here's Haisley's page on A1 parts http://www.haisleymachine.com/Head%2...0&%20Studs.htm
Originally Posted by Fueling around
... You can get as much ... "difference of opinion" ... on A1 versus ARP as a good tranny war. ...
I blew the head gasket and decided studs and not bolts. I went with A1 was that was the only set available at the time. Either A1 or ARP is much better than bolts.