Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Timbren ,anybody know anything?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timbren ,anybody know anything?

I was just made aware of a product called "Timbren" by Ride Quality Products that supposedly acts like airbags but is less expensive. Does anyone have any experience (or gossip) with this product? Thanks guys
Old 12-25-2005, 01:26 PM

I have seen a lot of topics on timbrens vs air bags in RV.net. You may want to jump over there and do a search. Try doing your search in the fifth wheel section. RV.net is a free rv forum with some very friendly and helpful people.

I personally have no experience with either.

Hope this helps you,

Rodney
Old 12-25-2005, 05:39 PM

I put some on this past summer because I have a heavy slide-in camper. My truck is equipped with the camper package (overload springs) and it was still tippy, bouncy and saggy and sometimes darn right scary at times. After I installed the Timbrens it was a totally different handling truck...I should have put them on a long time ago. They don't effect the stock unloaded ride quality because they replace the factory bump stops and only come into play when there is a heavy enough load in the bed for them to come in contact with the axle bump stop rests.

Airbags just seemed like to much trouble, possible leaks, affects unloaded ride quality, a bit more $$$, and longer installation time. The Timbrens were on and ready to roll in about 15 minutes.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Chapter President

I have Timbrens on my truck because of the heavy trailer loads I haul....I had the 6000 lbs springs first but they weren't doing the job so I got the 9000 lbs springs now with my trailer loaded to 18000 GVW my truck rides good
Without a trailer on my truck.....well lets just say it rides like a truck which is fine with me cause I don't need a Country Cadillac with a sponge soft ride

The 6000 lbs timbrens should work for most people without effecting the unloaded ride

As a after thought I have photos of the 9000 lbs timbrens in my members photo galley as y'all can see the 9000 lbs springs are always in contact with the bounce plate.....the 6000 lb springs give you about 3/4-1" space before contact
Old 12-25-2005, 08:18 PM

I have them on mine. Airbag guys will swear by their bags and are tough to sway. But for the money ($139 or so unless they've gone up) Timbrens cannot be beat. They install in about 40 minutes depending on how many beer breaks you take. My camper loaded probably comes in some where over 3000 pounds and it handles the load like nobodies business. I have no sway issues and after 1 camping season have no issues with the trucks performance with the camper on. And as stated, unloaded the Timbrens are about 1" from the bumps so they do not impact unladened ride.
Buy them with confidence and as Mr. Popiel says - "Set em and forget em"
Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 AM

I have never run them on a ctd but I had a set on a 1/2 ton ford that I used to drag my HEAVY 24' 1970 TT loaded for bear to Anchorage from WA and would not have driven across the street without them. I did not even have a equalizer back then the timbrens were all I could spare and worked great.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 AM

Could someone measure the distance between the bottom of the Timbren and the axle housing? I am trying to figure out how much it'll squat before it starts being used...
Old 12-01-2006, 10:22 AM

I have them on my truck and have been very happy, even had the boy do the very easy 40 minute install while I supervised.

My trailer is 10,000 lbs empty add 4 mules and etc etc -- would not pull with out them.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:57 AM
Banned

my neighbor swears by them on his truck. we have a trailer that is 2900# empty and with 4 ATV's on it is no more than 6k total weight and he says you gotta have them to tow it.

im thinking about getting them for sled pulling, i can leave them on all the time instead of making bumpstops that id have to remove