Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Thuren trackbar hits my diff. cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked it up in my shop manual, and if I change the adjuster bolts at the front of the lower suspension arms, that is changing the caster, so I guess that idea is out, unless having that adjusted so the axle bottom is farther back (which I think means more caster angle) would be OK.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

No do not do that, if anything you could increase the caster (pushing it forward) but decreasing the caster (pulling the axle back) will result in squirrely steering and possible DW. Maybe a pic so we can get a better idea???
Old 05-04-2007, 04:57 PM

Thanks, thats good info to know. Changing the caster would probably not help enough anyway since it moves the bottom of the diff. and the trackbar is hitting at the top.

A pic would be hard to see whats happening, (since I can't take a pic of it when it hits) but here is an explanation, the end on the Thuren trackbar is 2.5" diameter and sticks farther down than the stock bar. This leaves about 2" clearance to the diff. cover if you measure straight down. The suspension has about 3" of possible travel when it hits a bump, before it hits the rubber stop. Here is a pic of the bar: http://www.thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html

I suppose I could put in a taller rubber stop, but this would mean less suspension travel and a rougher ride.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 PM

I had the same problem It just needs to be tilted more, I did the same thing I thought I needed to tilt it bottom forward edge down. I did that but I hit on large bumps, After talking to Don I tilted it bottom forward edge up which moves the bottom aft edge closer to the diff, It looks like its not right but it is. The pictures in my gallery are the ones where it hits and are not right It needs to be opposit of the pics, they are the ones I sent to Don Thuren when it was hitting. Mine is also stock height with over 200K miles and I live the track bar.
Hope this helps
MIke
Old 05-04-2007, 08:11 PM

I have tried it tilted every way possible. From looking at it from directly below it, I can't see any tilt angle where it won't hit. Unless there is some secret position that I haven't discovered yet. As I said on page 1:

"no matter which way I tilt the bar, it still hits my differential cover on bumps"

and

"When I tilt mine slightly back like Thuren recommends, it hits hard enough to make it tilt all the way forward. And when its tilted forward, there is more clearance, but when it hits it is much more than a rub on the cover, its a hammer which I am afraid will damage the uniball bearing after a while."

Its already made a large scratch on the diff. cover from where it hits while trying it in different tilted positions, and thats in only a few hours of driving.

Maybe since so many reporting in this thread say they have it hitting too, the ball is strong enough to survive even if I leave it keep hitting. Or maybe Thuren will redesign it so it fits a little better after learning that all model years have trouble with it hitting (unless they have a lift kit and the taller rubber stops.)
Old 05-04-2007, 08:23 PM

Mike your pics look very close to the diff. cover, similar to mine when tilted forward. I am surprised you got it to clear by tilting back, mine won't. Do you ever take it offroad? My driveway is a 4wd road.

Here is mike's pic thats similar to mine (except mines not nearly so clean!):

and another:
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Im betting the springs are sagging on the truck...
Old 05-04-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Munchies
Im betting the springs are sagging on the truck...
My truck has 148k miles. I have 3" of travel before the axle hits the rubber bumper. How much is stock on a 95?

If my springs were weaker than stock, I might hit the trackbar on the diff. cover more often, but on my 4wd road, it is going to hit even with brand new springs.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:13 AM

I spoke with Don about this same subject yesterday..... There are some issues with some trucks and the trackbar hitting. Normally it is the later years not the 98-99 trucks. He does have a quick check you can do to get an idea if his trackbar will hit on your truck if you are considering ordering. I have an 02 truck and want to try his trackbar so I went a little different route. I ordered his 3rd gen trackbar and I am using the solid steel conversion kit to mount it on the 02. I will report back once everything is installed.

Doug
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM

hey Jet pilot, how about reporting back for us?