Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Thuren trackbar hits my diff. cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thuren trackbar hits my diff. cover

I got a Thuren trackbar after reading many good things about it on these forums. I got the trackbar installed properly on my 95 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4, stock with no lift kit, but no matter which way I tilt the bar, it still hits my differential cover on bumps, before the stock rubber stop hits. This seems like it will damage the bar. Thuren says this is the first <99 truck he has had this problem, and to return it. I can't see why my truck would be any different than any other 95 4x4. Any ideas?

I know I could get the DSS 3rd gen. trackbar refit, but its a lot more money, and I like the design of the Thuren bar. It definately made my steering feel smoother, besides removing the sloppy play that I had. At this point I am leaning towards getting a NAPA trackbar that will wear out quickly, but at least will fit.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Thuren's taking care of you, send it back then wait and see what comes out of that before you start buying other stuff!!
Old 05-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Received 127 Likes on 71 Posts
You may have been given the bar that is designed for a 2" or more lift. Check the part number and look it up on the manufaturers site (or break off a call to them).
Old 05-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

Yeah which bar was it? The 0-3" bar or the 5"+ bar, because the 5"+ bar will make contact with the diff if the truck is not lifted 5".
Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 AM

maybe as simple as a mix up in part numbers and them shipping you the wrong one!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 AM

Had the same thing happen with an adjustible track bar for my Jeep. Ended up putting a cheap lift on it to get around the problem!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM

I got the 0-3" lift trackbar. Thuren says to get the DSS retrofit kit, so thats not really "taking care of me", this has been a big pain since I now have to return it (at my cost) and get another different brand of bar. His site mentions clearance checking only for 2000-2002 models. Looks like you need to do it for all models.

The 5"+ lift trackbar is way different, it has a bracket that goes on the frame. This one is just too big of diameter around the ball. And a big ball would be a good thing if there was room for it.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 AM

You could level the front end and that will go away. Contact "Mike D" on this forum. He had that issue at first. I think he was able to work around it. Maybe it was just a matter of not turning the steering wheel all the way to the lock in one direction.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:40 AM

Its not a matter of the steering since its the diff. cover that hits, and it only moves up and down, no matter what way you turn.

And my truck sits level. I don't want a lift kit since it already sits high up being a 4x4. That would just lower my mileage and make it more unstable with a higher center of gravity.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:49 AM

my Luke's Link hits the diff cover (~ 1/2" shiny rub on the cover) but have never read about anybody else's doing the same. maybe our trucks were built by the same person?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine rubbed the cover some, but I like the track bar too much to return it. I can't see going back to a stock track bar. It would only make contact on real tight turns while the axle was traveling up.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 PM

If it's only rubbing and you have the stock diff cover you can "peen" the cover a little to clear it.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:19 PM

I like the bar too, thats why I would like to figure out how to make it work before I go back to a stock bar. It is a much better design. Mike, which way do you have it tilted? When I tilt mine slightly back like Thuren recommends, it hits hard enough to make it tilt all the way forward. And when its tilted forward, there is more clearance, but when it hits it is much more than a rub on the cover, its a hammer which I am afraid will damage the uniball bearing after a while.

I have the stock cover. Maybe if I let it hit for a while it will "peen" the cover all by itself. And then hopefully there's not a gear inside there thats going to start hitting the "peened" part.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:43 PM

There is an adjustment that appears to change the tilt of the differential, at the bolts on the front end of the bars going back to the frame. The bolts have an eccentric cam on them and about 8 lines showing different settings. Changing this might make it clear, but if I do this am I changing something that is important to the alignment? Anybody know what that adjustment is for?
Old 05-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is tilted forward as well. You could try to push the axel rack out some to see if that helps. I've thought of doing the same thing. It would probably help and take care of any wonder that is left as well. I spoke to Don about this and he seemed to agree. I plan on trying this a some point in the future.

Quick Reply: Thuren trackbar hits my diff. cover